It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about the Human Brain

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Since Springer didn't make this thread yet,I'll do it.semperfortis and Springer can help out.

[edit on 25-9-2006 by tormentor]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Color me confused.

What is the point of this thread?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Here is a bit more information on what our newer member is talking about;

Originally posted by Springer

I'll make you a deal... If you all put together a really first rate investigation/series of questions I'll forward it to him for his professional opinion, answers, relevant research data, etc...

Interested?

Springer...

Just so every one knows what we are going on about. There is more in the thread as follows;

More than one question

[edit on 25-9-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
No RATS is never free

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Um, who are you typeing to? You don't see invisable people do you? Because if you do, I have some one you should meet.

My friend, el Gato he is not a cat, but is the Gato.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I have a question about the brain.

I have always wondered exactly where the brain's "Sarcasm Control Center" (the S.C.C.) is located. I am also wondering how large the S.C.C. is and whether there is any correlation between brain size, IQ and the size of the aforementioned Sarcasm Control Center (the S.C.C.)?

Again, I'm just wondering.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I suspect it may have origins in the Temporal Lobes which in turn controls the "Emotional Responses", and more can be found here---->
Anatomy of the Brain

Please use the above resource for further info, if desired.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl
No RATS is never free

Or worth it for that matter.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
OK

We are all on the right page now.

I have the MRI Brain scans in hand and I am scanning them in the computer as we speak. There are several examples ie. healthy/abnormality etc. Should have them on sometime tomorrow for everyone to see.

I also have the interview Wednesday morning. I'll spend the day transcribing it and post it that evening.

Hopefully we can have a group of questions for Springer then.

Semper

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
I suspect it may have origins in the Temporal Lobes which in turn controls the "Emotional Responses", and more can be found here---->
Anatomy of the Brain

Please use the above resource for further info, if desired.

I was going through that site; and, as I was looking throught eh different functions of the different parts fo the brain.. when I noticed in the Frontal Lobes of the Cerebral Cortex one fo the functions was listed as "Higher Order functions". Can anyone elaborate on this?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Considered Higher Functions.

Cerebrum (also called the cerebral cortex or just the cortex) - The cerebrum consists of the cortex, large fiber tracts (corpus callosum) and some deeper structures (basal ganglia, amygdala, hippocampus). It integrates information from all of the sense organs, initiates motor functions, controls emotions and holds memory and thought processes (emotional expression and thinking are more prevalent in higher mammals).
health.howstuffworks.com...

The area that controls, assists and manipulates what we refer to as "Higher Functions." Such as Speech, Reasoning; Basic Intellectual Structuring.

Semper

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
darn...I was hoping "hogher order functions" meant "ESP type powers... oh well...back to the drawing board.

thanks Semper

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Tone,

I thought I would answer your U2U on here for the edification of all involved.

I have been reading a massive amount of material on this subject the past two days and it is absolutely fascinating!

As for "Psi" powers and the parts of the brain that may be involved.

It seems that a large amount of work has been done in that area. A lot by two scientists, Stanley Krippner and Michael Persinger, who have postulated and performed several studies that associate electromagnetic energy and memory, natural electrical phenomenon and instances of perceived "psi" events.

So we are all on the same track.. a picture of the "parts" of the brain.

Frontal lobe - The frontal lobe is involved in motor skills (including speech) and cognitive functions.

* The motor center of the brain (pre-central gyrus) is located in the rear of the frontal lobe, just in front of
the parietal lobe. It receives connections from the somatosensory portion in the parietal lobe and processes and initiates motor functions. Like the homunculus in the parietal lobe, the pre-central gyrus has a motor map of the brain (for details, see A Science Odyssey: You Try It - Probe the Brain Activity).
* An area on the left side of the frontal lobe, called Broca's area, processes language by controlling the muscles that make sounds (mouth, lips and larynx). Damage to this area results in "motor aphasia," in which patients can understand language but cannot produce meaningful or appropriate sounds.
* Remaining areas of the frontal lobe perform associative processes (thought, learning, memory). health.howstuffworks.com...

Taking this argument one step further, Persinger (1989) points out that deep temporal lobe activity exists in equilibrium with the global geomagnetic condition. When there is a sudden decrease in geomagnetic activity, there appears to be an enhancement of processes that facilitate psi reception, especially telepathy and clairvoyance.
Increases in geomagnetic activity may suppress pineal melatonin levels and contribute to reductions of cortical seizure thresholds. Indeed, melatonin is correlated with temporal lobe- related disorders such as depression and seizures. Persinger has postulated that increased geomagnetic activity may contribute to expressive psi, such as spontaneous or laboratory psychokinesis. Some research data (e.g., Braud & Dennis, 1989) support this conjecture and Gertrude R. Schmeidler (1994, p. 216) has proposed that a psychokinesis subject who is more "aroused" (by the geomagnetic activity) would be more effective.
~~~~~~~
Of particular relevance to psi is the capacity for the hippocampus to show long term potentiation, the first step to memory. A 400 cycles per second electrical stimulation of only 1 second can lead to semipermanent changes in electrical activity and produce observable growth of dendritic spines within 10 minutes. Such quick plasticity indicates that only a few seconds of the appropriate psi- related stimulus could evoke permanent changes in brain microstructures and hence modify memory Once the memory is consolidated it could appear as "real" as memory acquired by more traditional pathways.
www.goertzel.org...

This is a good start and I of course took only the VERY pertinent sections of the article to post as it is EXTENSIVE.

Yet it should answer any questions as to the "Where" in the brain perceived "Psi" powers may originate.

Semper

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Much More to Come...

But not now..NCIS and the UNIT are coming on..

Semper

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
If this does pick up, and if Springer does or does not pull through, I will leave the following offer open to all who participate.

Scholar status and your own project thread, for continued research, if you all are interested.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Check out
www.belowtopsecret.com...
for excellent perspectives based on "Brain and Spirit"

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
If this does pick up, and if Springer does or does not pull through, I will leave the following offer open to all who participate.

Scholar status and your own project thread, for continued research, if you all are interested.

oh hell yes!... this is a great idea for a new research project... although it seems semper has a head start on us..

BTW thanks Semp for posting this... A great start and I have some reading to do.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I have formulated 8 questions so far that could be submitted to Springer for his submission to his friend the Doctor.

These are only my questions, and I would appreciate any input, changes or additions that anyone else felt needed.

I have my interview with the Neurologist tomorrow and I expect that to be enlightening.

Here are my first 8, I expect to expand on them after tomorrow.

Questions for Brain Research.

1. It is a common perception that Humans only utilize some percentage of what the brain is capable of. Can you elaborate on that and what advancements or discoveries have been made recently and what may be anticipated in the future?
2. Are you familiar with Stanley Krippner and Michael Persinger and their research into the effects of Electromagnetic Energy and how this energy creates or influences Psychic Phenomena? If so, what is your opinion on their research.
3. Did the Brain evolve in unison with our other organs?
4. Do you think that Stem Cell Research holds as much promise for recovery from damage to the brain as the proponents would have us believe?
5. Can you describe in layman’s terms what causes memory loss after brain surgery.
6. On an Evolutionary scale, what do you foresee in the future as far as Human Brain Function in concerned?
7. During the Fight or Flight Phenomena, are any “Higher” brain functions active? Also, can the brain be trained to function at a higher level during Fight or Flight?
8. There has been speculation as to the existence of a “Criminal Gene” that causes anti-social behavior by influencing brain function. Are you familiar with this and if so, do you consider it a valid hypothesis?

Please feel free to change, add or include any other considerations.

Semper

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
the only question out of that listthat I wasnt really to keen on was no. 7

7. During the Fight or Flight Phenomena, are any “Higher” brain functions active? Also, can the brain be trained to function at a higher level during Fight or Flight?

As I read this question over in my head.. I thought to myself....hmm..fight or flight situations. As I pondred this I said to myself what would constiotute a fight or flight. I considered your job Semper and how many times you were in situations that if other people who had not been trained to deal with were in; they would be presented with a fight or flight of their own. While you were able to use higher functions.. because you were prepared for certain situations.
You being trained to deal with a particular hostile situation would not freeze up and be faced with that 'syndrome' if you will. Does that make any sense(Im having a hard time formulating just how to illustarate what I mean).. But I think this makes sense.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I understand what your saying..

But I think it is more a matter of "Basic" brain function. Let me explain if I can.

There is a Phenomena in regards to muscle memory and training to transform logical actions into reflexive actions in response to stimuli. The Japanese Martial Arts Masters claim that if you perform an action enough times, that action ceases to be intentional and becomes reflex.

So in my line of work, it is all about the training.

Although that does bring up another exciting variable and/or question.

If an action is performed enough times, does the brain create "pathways" for this particular action to facilitate the execution, thereby reducing the response time?

semper

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join