It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should future submarines have minisubs inside the hull instead of minisubs doing piggyback style?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Since we know that minisubs doing piggyback rides on the nuclear subs can slow the submarine's speed, as well as cause flow noise. So I was wondering if its better to have some kind of hanger built in the nuclear submarine that can accommodate a minisub inside the sub that would keep the mother ship quiet as well as able to do flank speed.

[edit on 25-9-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think they are working on (Don't know if it's conceptual phase or green lighted) a "wasp hull" for submarines. Where the outer hull of the boats are still in their normal streamlined shape but the inner hull tapers at a point near the midships and creates a interior dock for minisubs. They wanted to make it so that the mini-subs wouldn't have to piggyback anymore. General Mechanics or Popular Science had a cover on it a couple of months ago.(a year maybe)

Would be a great advantage to make all future subs capable of this. IMO

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I thought that SEaLs used the Lambertsen's Amphibious Respiratory Unit (LARU), that was attached to the hull of certain US submarines.

Am I wrong in saying that I thought there were moves to place the LARU inside a false hull on a modified submarine and that it would probably run the entire length of the bouyancy tanks and be mounted on both sides of the sub?

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
They are already here.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

They are already here.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Can i have a link or a pic at least?

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Back in the late 1950s there was a submarine named the USS Halibut. As I recall it was a Skate class nuclear submairne. IT had a hanger type bay on it for housing what was then early experiments with a Regulus type missle which would unfold and sit on the deck to be aimed in the direction desired. A rather large ungainly affair to get it out and mounted from its storage bay. It was completely housed in this storage bay and assembled on deck.

This boat later was refitted for special team work. It was not a attachment but a actual hanger type bay fitted in the deck.

The intresting thing about much of this gear is that today it is somewhat compacted down and more reliable than in times past.

I believe the early posters are refering to the attachments like the Dry Deck Shelters piggybacked on many boats. I saw many of these shelters when they were being constructed.

THere is mostly limited informations on the USS Halibut in its espionage roles ..most of the information being directed purposely to the Regulus missle role.

Suffice it to say that they are futher along with much of this equipment than the public is being told. Alot still on the drawing boards and under experimentation.

Remember something about the drydeck shelters..piggybacked on the decks of submarines ..they are a shelter for the mini subs..sort of a hanger bay. They are a lock out decompression chamber too.

This feature of the lock out chambers is built into the hull of the Virginia Class submarines. This changes this buisness significantly. No need to carry the drydeck shelter on its back. Think about what this means or implys about the mini submaries??
YOu might want to read the specifications on the Virginia class submarines.

Thanks,
Orangetom

top topics

join