It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Propoganda TV Programming

page: 1

join
share:
df1

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I noted another thread discussing propaganda in commercials, but since my post will deal with propaganda in television programming it seems that a new thread is appropriate. I'd kind of like to focus on government propaganda and stay away from commercial propaganda used to sell products.

Jericho is a new program on CBS this year which airs Wednesday at 10pm EST. The show takes place in the town of Jericho, Ks which survives a broad nuclear attack on the US relatively undamaged. The first episode deals with jericho being isolated unable to establish any form of communication with the rest of the country. By the end of the episode residents of town are aware that nukes have hit in denver and atlanta but have no idea who might have been responsible or the full extent of the destruction. The towns folk are very afraid and have already started hording and bickering over basic resources, though the mayor has temporarily subdued these urges in the population.

The premiere was riveting. And it was quite successful in causing fearful feelings to flow in the pit of my stomach. This is unusual for me as I tend to take most media programming with a 'grain of salt'. Never do I cry or experience fear from unusual and movies which leaves wondering "why this show?". It was entertaining and got enough of my interest that I will watch the next episode.

Imho it has a high potential to be used to as a government propaganda tool to encourage public support of preemptive military action against iran, north korea and the like. I'm keeping a close eye on family members and I will let you know if any start wandering around in a catatonic state droning "kill the evil doers". Should this occur I will report back unless the government gets control of my mind prior to my reporting back.

Please do not feel that you need to limit the discussion to only this program, all programming should be considered fair game. A short commentary on the abc 9/11 documentary would be most welcome. Since I didn't watch the abc show personally, I will refrain from echoing what others have said to me about it.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
My friend,i know what your talking about,
I find alot of movies can strike that kinda feeling,
And i barely watch tv because of the garbage,
(I only watch cartoons and discovery)
i remmber watching the day after tomorow and feeling that it was actually happening,
But this show you speak of sounds quite interesting

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   

i remmber watching the day after tomorrow and feeling that it was actually happening

Yeah I know what you mean, It made you more aware of how frightening nature can be.

The same way the show Jericho must emphasise how destructive the forces of man can be when used for destruction-on-mass.

I personally believe that this show is in some way connected to the US Government and in turn preparing the American public for something big.

Link

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The government has been using propaganda in TV for years. Also subliminal messages. Ive caught a few over the years, I was watching an ALF cartoon years ago and all of a sudden I saw a black screen with the word AMERICA, it lasted for about a half second.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by crw2006
The government has been using propaganda in TV for years. Also subliminal messages. Ive caught a few over the years, I was watching an ALF cartoon years ago and all of a sudden I saw a black screen with the word AMERICA, it lasted for about a half second.

Hmmm, I think the point of subliminal messages is that you are not aware of them. If you clearly saw the "message" then it's not really subliminal -- is it.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I here what your saying about your not supposed to see it, but Im saying I probably caught it at the exact perfect time to actually see it, or it was displayed for a little bit longer than it was supposed to be.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
TV by its very nature is a tool for social conditioning.Ask yourself how many hours of TV have you watched since you were a kid? What effect has all those hours of TV had on your mind/thinking patterns? Its all about reinforceing in the minds of the masses that the unatural and unhappy lifestyles they lead are "normal".It tells the duped masses that all is well when the opposite is in fact true.

Cug

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Someone say propaganda?

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Havn't seen that yet, I'll manage to some time. Propaganda, and media both terms have braod meanings yet a well defined usage, it sort of makes me wonder how many people don't know what they mean.

a means of carrying or communicating information
Media

2 : the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person
3 : ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause;
propaganda

Anything then can be and is propaganda via media. This post, I am typing, as is yours above, and every form of communication. It is how it's used and the reasons behind it that is used for benefit or not.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Anything then can be and is propaganda via media. This post, I am typing, as is yours above, and every form of communication. It is how it's used and the reasons behind it that is used for benefit or not.

^
Also, look up the definition for "Semantics".

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicotine1982
Also, look up the definition for "Semantics".

the study of meanings: a : the historical and psychological study and the classification of changes in the signification of words or forms viewed as factors in linguistic development b (1) : SEMIOTIC (2) : a branch of semiotic dealing with the relations between signs and what they refer to and including theories of denotation, extension, naming, and truth
semantics

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'd tend to agree with DF on the use of television programming as a means to propaganda. The main reason being that the majority of the country gets most of it's information from the television. Whether it's the news, weather, shopping network, talk shows, sitcoms, the television shapes the lives of many Americans. A lot of people have trouble understanding the concept that what is shown on tv isn't real, that everything is at best idealized and at worst a total lie.

While shows like Jericho may instill fear of a nuclear holocasut in it's viewers I still feel it's more of a reaction by the creator of the show to the ineheirant fears already established by years of nuclear threats.

I think the most dangerous area ripe for malevolent propaganda would be channels such as History or Discovery where the shows are purported to be factual and educational. I've watched more than my fair share of shows on these channels and have noticed that different shows will portray the same event in different ways. I've also noticed that there is quite often little or no distinction made between theory and fact in some instances. I've also heard things on these shows that are contrary to my understanding of the way somthing happened. I think it would be quite easy to manipulate a vast audience simply by airing a fictionalized show on the History channel.

The next time you watch the History channel think for a second, what if what they are telling you is untrue, how would you find out? How would you tell others that the show lied? Would they believe you?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I like your Avatar shadowflux, it seems oddly well suited for this thread.

Star Trek is a very good example of a propagandist sitcom. It was aired at a time when the world was in flux, and portrayed a future one world government where the peacekeepers and diplomats where in actuallity a sophisticated military establishment, and currency was replaced by credits. There was not a single good thing about the shows content, yet, because of the themes discussed in the show, (rascism, greed, ect.) it appealed to the younger generation at the time. Now, decades later, there is such a large following of "Trekkies" that beleive in the "peaceful NWO" portrayed in the series, that the idea of globalization seems not only palatable to them, but appealing. In spite of the fact that a very large portion of the show depicted the primary leaders to be corrupt.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Facts are that conditioning on television has been there all along. It was done in a much more subtle fashion until fairly recently. It's now very much an 'in your face' tactic today. Childrens programming on Disney, Nick and Noggin are just as bad.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
hell yeah. damn it most of humanity are not worth saveing .cry cry cry.too many mouths,egos,brats,dickheads, A cull is needed!!!!

new topics

top topics

join