It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Jihad' car commercial upsets US Muslims

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Man
when will they learn look what happened with the cartoons now a cormercial to start more ish.
dont they no most muslims cant take a joke

news.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I love it. More people need to do this and just throw it back in the Muslim face and maybe they will understand why we do not care about their opinions.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Who cares? The muslims would be getting more than a joke or two around where I live.

if they cause a fuss here in the US and start rioting, shoot tear gas into the crowds and arrest them.

dont be like europe and roll over and take a kick in the ribs.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Why should they care, let alone get upset ? Its something called freedom of expression, and it gives every human the choice to make, do or say whatever they want, just as long as it does not endanger everybody's lives. If they riot, let them, but it does not give them any points for rational reasoning.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Right, so none of you guys have ever disagreed with someone? You say that people have the right to make fun of Islam, but then you claim that Muslims have no right to be offended? There are no Muslims rioting, they are peacefully disagreeing and yet you still find fault with them.

I'm sure the catholics would love it if a car company commercial ran an ad for molesting-priest mondays.

Get over yourselves, they don't like people making fun of their religion and they are well within their rights as Americans to express this displeasure peacefully, which they ARE.

[edit on 25-9-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I am sure the Catholics would be upset but I really doubt they would behead anyone or go kill a Nun. In this country the correct thing to do is ignore what you feel are offencive things and understand freedom of speech. If you do not like the picture of Islam we have change it but you will have to ok it with the media. Oh by the way what religon controls the media?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Have you seen this commercial video?

Volkswagen Suicide Bombing Clip

And that was a loooong time ago. Are someone offended again all of a sudden?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by factfinder38
I am sure the Catholics would be upset but I really doubt they would behead anyone or go kill a Nun.

Yea, exactly, the Catholics would be upset. And, no, there haven't been any nuns that were killed or people beheaded because of this car commercial. Even then, the acts of a few crazies should do not diminish the merits of the message itself. The fact of the matter is, mr. factfinder, that these people are going through perfectly legitimate channels to get their opinion across.

In this country the correct thing to do is ignore what you feel are offencive things and understand freedom of speech.

Right, tell that to libel or slander. To me that sounds like an invitation for people to insult you and to let them walk all over you. But, that's just my opinion.

If you do not like the picture of Islam we have change it but you will have to ok it with the media. Oh by the way what religon controls the media?

Which is what they are trying to do, right? Religion doesn't control media, people control media, and as human beings, these Muslims are expressing their displeasure with this car company mocking Islam to increase their own profits.

[edit on 25-9-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Do not ever let yourself think that the Media is controled by the people because it is not. All men must learn to turn the other cheek and be a bigger man by ignoring a fool.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I said "people," not "the people." As well, your advice might work in personal situations, but not when it comes to public matters that influence others. As well, our opinions are just that, and anyone who wishes to confront ignorance is perfectly within their right to do so.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The old addage of 'There is a time and place for everything' applies here. If this was a Comedy script instead of a business place maybe you could say its ok, but then whats going to be next? Pre-Emptive Strike Sale days at Supermarket World replete with traditional nazi caricatures of big hook-nosed Hassidic jews dancing to hava nagila , while Fur-hatted Rabbi's give out free Uzi sub-machine guns, Catterpillar Bulldozers and F-16 replicas for the kiddies?

Not only is it an insult to the victims that have died at the hands of suicide bombers for the sake of a profit, it is an affront to the good people who are hurting no one, that are just following the traditions of their religion by wearing a Burkha to be associated with such things. It will only serve to widen the gap, prove the extremists correct that we have no respect for their religion, and to satisfy those that are just plain outright prejudiced against people that practice the Islamic religion.

Pie

Dealer stands by jihad ad

"We firmly believe the ad does not in any way disrespect any religion or culture, but we feel, I guess, that maybe poking a little fun at radical extremists is fair game," dealership president Keith Dennis said.

"It was our intention to craft something around some of the buzzwords of the day and give everyone a good chuckle and be a little bit of a tension reliever."

Source

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Look at the file "Dogma." That film could easily offend a Catholic(or any Christian for that matter) but it was released. How is this any different. If you dont want to watch something then dont watch it. Its not about yours or my personal preference of what can be said or can not be said. Its all about the first ammendment. And if someone says something offensive yet it is considered free speech then so be it. If something offends me, then I dont pay attention to it, simple as that. So go cry me a river.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I found the car commercial funny as s***. I'm a Catholic and wasn't the least bit offended by Dogma. I knew many who very offended till they actually saw it. They were so many subtle jokes in the movie that only Catholics could catch them. If there's one thing all the monotheistic religions could use, it's a little more humor. The self righteous take themselves way too seriously. If the Creator(covering all bets) didn't have a sense of humor, would they have created the platypus? Muslims have the right to feel offended just as we have a right to offend them. Political correctness will be the death of us all. Because when we stop hurling insults instead of rocks, people really will get hurt.

TG

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Is there anything that doesn't upset muslims?

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
How many Catholic priest jokes are there?

muslims need to freaking chill if a comercial is pissing you off.

I guess I can go to Iran and look at all those Jewish halocaust cartoons. Yep that is ok.....yep sure is.....

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I guess I'm going to get slammed, but oh well.

Um.. let me think... If a car company put out an ad saying "butt-buddy tuesdays, come and get a Rav4 with a matching discoball. Be a queer for a day!" Yeah, I would be pretty angry, I would definitely do as much as I could to get the word out what was going on, and get them protested heavily.

This goes deeper for me than it being a Muslim. Way deeper. This is a company willing to sell terror as profit! We should all be angry, not just the Muslim community. They used terror as a way to increase sales. Come on people!

I didn't think that was very hard to figure out, apparently I am mistaken.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Hmm, sounds similar to that fake Volkswagen commercial I reported on a long while ago:

BUSINESS: Volkswagen To Sue Over Car Bomb Ad

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
This goes deeper for me than it being a Muslim. Way deeper. This is a company willing to sell terror as profit!

Yea, exactly, that's the problem I see too, is that this car dealership is trying to do these things to make a quick buck.

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Hmm, sounds similar to that fake Volkswagen commercial I reported on a long while ago

How so?

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
People are too easily offended. Some need to grow up or find some backbone. There are more important things to worry about.

The Muslims are just a bunch of crybabies who snivel louder than everyone else.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ok, some Muslims are offended.

I'm offended by a great many things, but I don't make a big deal over it,
and try and limit free speech and expression, if you don't like something,
don't listen/watch it.

Really now, all this political correctnesss and over sensitivity needs to be
done away with.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join