It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

75% of Iraqi Sunnis' support the Insurgancy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It seems the situation in Iraq is going from bad to worse in Iraq. "Winning the hearts and minds of the people" was a slogan bandied around for a long time by the coalition, and they seem to have failed miserably..

The US Department of Defense has now provided another measure of the problem it faces. Its latest opinion poll carried out in Iraq indicates that, among the five million Sunni Muslims there, about 75% now support the armed insurgency against the coalition. This compares with 14% in the first opinion poll the Defense Department carried out back in 2003. It is a catastrophic loss of support, and there is no sign whatever that it can be effectively reversed.

Source

According the article sited, torture is worse now than under Saddam and the tragedy of Falluja are to exlanations as to this Anti-American sentiment.

This doesn't surprise me as i have never backed the invasion, but honestly, Where to from here? The Administration seems to have spurned the Iranian influenced Shia population of Iraq that seems to be the only people that can help this in this curcumstance..and with their current strategy is only making things worse.

Even with all the hype against it, I think the U.S is going to cut and run.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Obviously, noone has an opinion about this?

These stats show just how much of a failure the whole debarcle has been..

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Well there isnt much that can be said about this story many supporters of the war wont want to take a look at this thread because it might bring them closer to a place called reality. As for people like me the article dosnt really provide anything that is surpising .
You dont need to be a genius to work out that Iraq only exits on a map and that Saddam was the clue that help the geographical area know as Iraq together.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I don't know what they expected, of course sunni muslims aren't going to support the US, the US wants to put the shia in power. The shia will be ruthlessly injust towards the sunnis that aren't killed and I can't say that they don't have good reason to feel that way. This insurgency is an example of the sloppiest intelligence I have ever seen. Either our government is inept or there are ulterior motives at work, both scary thoughts.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Like already the previous post said, is not surprised that Sunnis are part of the insurgency in Iraq, they were after all the so called oppressors under Saddam.

What people don't understand is that most of the retribution against Sunnis is performed by the now in charge Shiites that are majority on the military, police and government.

So truly this adds more to the problems in Iraq.

Many can not figure out why Iraqis are killing each other or why Insurgents are killing each other.

Actually rivalry is what is killing Iraqis in Iraq.

US can not stop it and they know it, but our soldiers are caught between the struggles and dying because of it.

new topics

top topics

join