It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough with Jessica Lynch, PLEASE!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I don't know about you, and I am not trying to sound like an ass here, but enough is enough already. We are treating Jessica Lynch like she saved the world. I am sorry, but a TV movie about her? This Sunday (NBC?) they are supposed to have the Jessica Lynch story. This is 1 soldier, who by her own words, never fired a shot during the ambush, her gun was jammed.

What about all those that died in that ambush? What about the other POWs that we got back? What about the POWs that we have not gotten back?

I don't look at myself as a hero. My heroes are Lori (Private Lori Piestewa, who died in the ambush of Lynch's convoy), the soldiers that are over there, the soldiers that were in the car beside me, the ones that came and rescued me.

'I'm No Hero' -Former Iraq Captive Jessica Lynch

That is what Jessica said in an interview. There is an authorized biography comming out.

I think the attention that she is getting for being at the wrong place at the wrong time is horrendous. Now, don't get me wrong, I am deeply releaved that she is back in the US and is safe. And I think that is wonderful.

You have no idea how angry this makes me feel. What are the parents of the soldiers that died in that ambush thinking right now? They don't have their son/daugther safe at home. They came back in a pine box. It all just makes me sick!

[Edited on 11/6/03 by crayon]

[Edited on 11/6/03 by crayon]

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 11:35 PM
link   
You know its all about giving us a hero and a live one at that, did you know they have banned news reports from showing the coffins arriving on tv, the reality of war is dead soldiers, thats a reality they don't want us to see. Jessica Lynch is pretty and she is being presented as a hero, they the government is comfortable with showing us this. I feel sorry for her, I'm sure she is caught up in this media blitz and can't get out. I hope society treats her better than Ira Hayes.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:00 AM
link   
What they tried to fo was use Jessica Lynch as a symbolic hero and on T.V. tonight she called the story wrong and that they made it up to create a hero story out of a pointless and unjustified war.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:18 AM
link   
CNN is just now reporting that in her book Lynch is now saying she was raped by her captors. I dont understand, she first said she rememberd nothing of her capture.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:23 AM
link   
ya I remember when she first go thome and some gov. offical said she would't remember anything except before she was captured and after in the helicopter. Weird

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:26 AM
link   
As crayon said, enough is enough of Jessica Lynch. I feel the administration just used her to make themselves look good in a bad situation and now she is trying to cash in on it, some hero!

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I might just be missing something, but what exactly did she do to qualify herself as a heroine? I've found many pointless articles and the like, but nothing that really says anything she did. I'm happy that any soldiers get to come home safely, but like most of you I'm tired of hearing about her especially because I can't seem to find out why she's such a big deal...

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Who?

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 01:08 AM
link   
How is she critical of the her rescue if she supposedly can't remember anything?

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Thats a good one Lysergic!

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Anyone that buys that propaganda that is her book is a #ing moron.
What a hero she is. LMFAO

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 06:46 AM
link   

How is she critical of the her rescue if she supposedly can't remember anything?

Funny, I was thinking the same thing... I suppose her conscience finally got the best of her, spurring her "recovery" from the amnesia... However, I don't see her refusing that medal though either....
If you're going to come clean, go the distance, or don't bother wasting our time, ya know?

Anyone that buys that propaganda that is her book is a #ing moron.
What a hero she is. LMFAO

I wonder if it will be in the FICTION section....

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The opposite of a big, turban wearing, bearded sweaty, dark skinned, dark haired Iraqi brute.
Black and white.
Racist propaganda.
Most Iraqi's are probably more moral regarding the treatment of women than many americans.
Really, I think that adultery should be a criminal offense in the US again, it certainly would cure a lot of the divorce problem here if it was an offense which would get you incarcerated if committed.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I am beginning to think that this is all way to neat and tidy for the US. Take a young person that can tug on the heart strings of the Americans, a female would tug even more. Have her captured, tortured, and what not. Go in with your best troops, video tape it????, and declare her a hero in front of the world. Just please ignore the body bags.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 08:27 AM
link   
lmao@Lysergic

Originally posted by crayon
Just please ignore the body bags.

...and everyone else dodging bullets and what not. This is a joke, but as crayon said "take a young person that can tug on the heart strings of the Americans". You know what? They're eating it up. After the story broke out, months ago, I recall my boss asking "did you hear about Jessica Lynch"..."Now that's a hero". Eat it up, people..Eat it up.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Is there anybody here that believes that what we are doing to and with Jessica is the right thing todo? If so, why do you feel that way? Am I missing something? Am I angry for nothing?

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Most Iraqi's are probably more moral regarding the treatment of women than many americans.

Have you even lived in the Middle East? (I have...) Women are regarded as property (even legally), not beings with rights, in many cases... They are starting to make headway, but to state that they are more moral regarding women, is a gross assumption at best...

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 11:23 AM
link   
You need not be angry.

If you are sick and tired of the Jessica Lynch saga, simply tune her out when watching TV, and don't buy or read any of the stories that will be written about her. America is great because you have the freedom to ignore blithering idiots whenever you want. I ignore Jerry Fallwell all the time.......

But seriously. This girl is just some poor white schlub for the sticks who joined the Army because she had little else in the way of employment opportunities where she grew up. She signed up for a non-combat support unit and spent her time hauling parts, food and ammo around behind the lines. I'm sure she never thought she would have to be in combat during her short enlistment.

So her unit f*cks up big time and they get caught in a sh*t storm of an ambush. Again, the poor schlub nearly gets killed when her panicky driver buddy rear-ends a truck whil trying to flee. She get all busted up, captured, raped, beaten, and then hauled off to be a hostage. A real sad story, but this stuff happens in war.

Later, some Iraqi weasel looking for a one-way trip to the good ole USA snitches on her whereabouts, and the snake-eaters come flying in to save her. Despite minor token resistance (small number of fleeing Iraqi soldiers firing at the US SOF dudes), PFC Lynch gets rescued and all is well.

Does she deserve a medal? Sure. The Purple Heart. And thats it. She did nothing brave or extraordinary other than get wounded, get captured and survive her ordeal. Awarding her the Bronze Star cheapens the same award given to others. But, hey, when the General sez your getting a medal for bravery, and that the country is proud of you, do you refuse? Heck, no, if you know whats good for you.

Now she stands to make some dough off her ordeal via movies and books. I say good for her. Make as much as you can as fast as you can, because in a year nobody will remember your name. Don't hate for that, she is just human like you and me. Hate the Administration, the Pentagon, and the media all you want for exploiting her, but leave this poor kid alone.

BTW, strangely enough, I tend to agree with Unbalanced
in that if she wasn't a cute little white girl, she wouldn't be getting all this attention. Its kinda like the Jon-Benet Ramsey deal. Laci Peterson too. They outta call it "American Beauty Syndrome", where only little blonde white girls get the attention and all others can rot.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I dont mean to detract from the girl (lady whatever) - but everytime I hear stuff about her Corporal Shoe from "Wag the Dog" comes into my mind. Course this isnt new - there is some classic Russian tale of a hero invented by the Generals that that story in the film borrows from - tha name of which escapes me. But the point is the same - focus on this one individual - not what is actually happening.

I do support what is going on in Iraq - but i do think this obsession with one individual might not be a good idea when the final analyses is dont in Congress and Parliament - as to just why are we really there and just what created the situation.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The tale here is one of shameless exploitation.

Yes, Gazrok, generally, women are not well treated in the middle east as a rule, however, its also not entorely true, there are many Arabs who basically are afraid to touch women for fear of breaking them.

When I was in Saudi, yes, we white girls got followed around alot, harrassed, propositioned, ect. But, that was Saudi. iraq, from what i udnerstand, is an entirely different ballgame.

Ive learned that in msot other middle eastern countries, they are alot nicer to women, and do rtespect them, but are guilty of overprotection. A couple of syrians i talked to, for instance, told me how in thier town, women would get to ride the busses to go shop, while men, having to go to work, were restricted to walking. So its not universal, this mysogyny, it seems mostly centered around Saudi Arabia and super conservative muslims states like that. The foreigners in saudi were much more polite and respectful towards females, the Saudis were rutting pigs.

From what Ive heard of the Iraqis, they are nothing like the Saudis. Given what Ive seena dn heard, i wouldnt dowbt it. Thus...........

We must look at the source.

Jessica Lynch by starting to come clean is doing a rather heroic thing, because we all know what happens to whistle blowers and people who contradict the party line..........

top topics

<<   2 >>

join