It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why haven't you joined the Taleban?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This thread is largly a response to Why Haven't You Enlisted? by GradyPhilpott

Where he asks the community, "Why haven't you enlisted [with the US armed forces] in the cause of liberty?

Now... I do not need US NSA at my door... So I will try to keep this thread civil.

But if Grady can ask why you don't join a fear mongering institution so can I.

I also want to state that I am using Taleban as a generic term... much like one would say Qtips instead of cotton swabs.

Nonetheless... Lets define a term: Taleban

"a cell of individuals devoted to God and determined to end the tyranny felt by believers through whatever machiavellian means necessary"

At the soul it is quite the same as patriotism...

except instead of a physical nation being protected... you protect a nation of those who are believers.

An interesting way to look at it is the ecoterrorist tactic of spiking trees.

Loggers would cut into spikes within old growth and injur themselves.

Landmining

The ecoterrorists did so because, they believed that the "nation of people that believed" old growth should live on, was backed into a corner of untruth, species were dying; tyranny.

That spiritual nation of believers...

was served in patriotic form against an evil nation of Industry attempting to kill off natural wonders for the sake of the dollar.

Taleban

Now the bonafide Taleban is fighting over Islamic oppression, etc. Some have an appreciation for that... others don't even understand it, and think the Taleban are just sadistic psychoes bent on creating havoc for western urbanites.

but

I ask...

If you think GMO food is so wrong...

why do you not burn the fields where it grows?

You have just as much power under Heaven as any other man.

If you think Dupont adding dilute VX to the Delaware River is so wrong... Where are you and your militia buddies?

If you think the NWO and the Capitalistic Globalization is so wrong and leading to the people to global disasters...

Why were you in such a state of "up in arms" when a bunch of towel heads from a subsistance farming nation came and took out two buildings in NY representing Global Inc. and a pentagram shaped building representing Global Incs. military? Its not like they were here destroying organic blueberry farms in rural Georgia.

If you think the Army Corp of Engineers created the Katrina disaster with their levees that protect industry shipping.

Why would you join the Army? Why do you sit back and let the Army rebuild the levees? Does that make you guilty in the next disaster the levees create?

If Uncle Sam is supporting the wrong agenda. Why would you give your body to be his foot soldier?

Just what is patriotism?

When you live under a tyrannical regime... I cannot fathom how joining their military is patriotism. Unless you intend to be a double agent.

Standing up for the righteous people of your nation is patriotism.

The believers.

If drilling oil off the gulf of mexico is wrong... why are you not out there with a boat and explosives? or at least slashing tires in the parking lot back at the dock.

If paving over nature for super highways is so wrong... Why aren't you hijicking oversized front end loaders to run kamakazi 'tear up the asphalt so trees can grow again' missions?

If it is so wrong that the forbes 400 are all billionaires while many americans live homeless and in poverty...

What happened to the archetype of Robin Hood prince of theives?

If you think your state-run military is furthering the objectives of multinationals;

NOT your people.

Why do you not sabotage their plans?

Patriotism

From wikipedia

Patriotism has connotations of self-sacrifice, implying that the individual should place the interests of the nation, and common good of its political community, above their personal and group interests. In wartime,the sacrifice may extend to their own life.

So... my spineless nation of Americans, after you turn off your evening News, and you're done playing your last round of tekken on playstation.

Those of you who spoke in grady's thread about "joining the real fight" or "waiting for a real crisis" or insisting that others "do something"

Stick a Qtip in your ear... twirl it around a few times and ponder again...

Should I join the US armed forces?

or should I create another Taleban cell?

or should I just go to my job and pay my (us armed forces supporting) taxes?

What was the first american revolution about again?

Playing devil's advocate and beginning to understand how the pen is indeed mightier than the sword.

Yours,

sri oracle

to the NSA goons listening in... I can't help it man. Some towel headed psycho is making me do it.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Why would I want to join the Taleban?

No thanks if it came to choosen, Id rather jojn the Armed forces than join the Taleban.

Mind I wouldnt enlist either unless I was forced too.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Sri,

There are many ways and means of making your voice heard and making a change in this world for the better. If you resort to the destruction of infrastructure and taking of lives, then you become no better than those who willingly do just so in the name of greed and power. My reply to Grady's thread 'Why haven't you enlisted' sum up what we should be striving to acheive:

Originally posted by timski (post id: 2479862)
Aside from the commonly held notion of 'enlisting' in the armed services, there are far more other worthy causes that benefit wider society and community.
I 'enlisted' with the Citizens' Advice Bureaux as a volunteer legal-advocate, to stand up for those in my community who are less able to help themselves, to demonstrate that even one person can make a difference no matter how seemingly small and insignificant...your brains are far more useful to you and to your fellow citizens being used to fight for equality, justice and a fair society, than splattered over a field in a land far away

There are many ways to engage in 'civil disruption', and not necessarily entailing illegal activities. Write letters...lots of them, learn how the 'administrative machine of society' works to use to your advantage, be a spanner in the works and create a paper-jam the cogs!
Learn how the legal system works and use it to make a dent in the corporations, no matter how small. 100,000 gnat bites can be just as bad 1 bite from a big angry dog

And lastly, we should put the 'fun' back into fundamentalism

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
"You have voted Sri Oracle for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month."

Well done, props are in order. You've got balls, and thats to be admired. What these hypocritical morons who spout off about Taleban this, and Al Qaeda that, and Ahma Go Fight For Mah Country FAIL to realise, is that both sides in this war are just religiously/politically idealistic cretins with a jihad on the brain.

Yes

You heard right.... I am implying that BOTH sides have their own piss-ant Jihads going on. And You all who are hoping to jump on me using Jihad in reference to the Coalitions War, then just shut it. Jihad may be an islamic term, but the concept is not unique to Islam.

The ONLY difference between the two Jihads (OMG I said it again.... sorry....) is that the western one is a sham driven by Politrix and by Corporate scum. You Christian Right types need to seriously wake up and clock that you are being played by people whose favourite hobby is to add zeros to the end of their bank balances.

I propose: don't join EITHER side. Move to Canada. Have a snowball fight followed by caribou burgers.

And if Canada won't have you, theres always Mexico..... muaaaahahahahaha.....

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Cool, a recruiter.

Taliban, may want to end outside repression.

But only so they can practice their own flavor of repression.

What are the policies for Gays, and women in the Taliban?

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by timski
There are many ways and means of making your voice heard and making a change in this world for the better. If you resort to the destruction of infrastructure and taking of lives, then you become no better than those who willingly do just so in the name of greed and power.

What if that infrastructure is hurting good people defacto? A factory that creates DU ammunition for example. SHOULD that infrastructure not be destroyed?

Taking lives in the name greed and power is quite different than taking lives in the name of what is righteous.

your brains are far more useful to you and to your fellow citizens being used to fight for equality, justice and a fair society, than splattered over a field in a land far away

I agree... I am weilding a pen in my living room. Idle discourse, helping others see the falsehood of their conviction.

It seems many say that the day their nation is truly in trouble they will join the armed forces to defend it. I believe that day has long since come and passed. The real reason that no one enlists is because, by and large, the people beleive that those leading the US armed forces ARE THE TROUBLE. The Coup d'état has long since occured and the globalists are in power. Further, the public has all but come to the conclusion that voting red or blue is not going to change anything because red and blue are the same thing.

Tyranny.

There are many ways to engage in 'civil disruption', and not necessarily entailing illegal activities.

Thats why I write at ATS instead of strapping bombs to my children. Though I could concieve of how I would resort to the latter if their comfy living room was taken from them.

And lastly, we should put the 'fun' back into fundamentalism

I like to plant tall fast growing trees where I know they will interfere with power lines.

Fun.

Originally posted by spacedout
Cool, a recruiter

Not so fast there... you must really be trying to get me in trouble with the NSA

But only so they can practice their own flavor of repression.What are the policies for Gays, and women in the Taliban?

I believe they consider homosexuality an abomination that God will punish and the role of women is in the home raising children.

Kind of pre WWII fundamentalist Christian.

Remember though... we're using Taliban generically for anyone fighting "ends justifies the means" on the side of God.

Apocalypse 12:7, "And there was a great battle in heaven, Michael and his angels fought with the dragon."

Sri Oracle

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
What if that infrastructure is hurting good people defacto? A factory that creates DU ammunition for example. SHOULD that infrastructure not be destroyed?
Taking lives in the name greed and power is quite different than taking lives in the name of what is righteous.

As long as the actions do not directly or indirectly cause the death or injury to others, but succeed in the disruption and denial of use of infrastucture, then that would be morally acceptable. For instance disabling a subterranean high-pressure oil/gas pipeline routed through an unpopulated rural area would cause a great deal of inconvenience to fuel-import infrastructure, civil/military airfields, and civil fuel distribution depots, but cause no loss of life if properly researched.

I like to plant tall fast growing trees where I know they will interfere with power lines.

Just my point...no life lost in doing so (except maybe your own through high voltage arcing), but potential to cause disruption to the manufacture of factors of war.

...Idle discourse, helping others see the falsehood of their conviction.

What is being hypothesised here is exactly 'idle discourse'...merely considering the 'other side of the coin' if you get my meaning, and helping others to see that there is always another side

..I am weilding a pen in my living room..

Do you have a licence to wield a pen, sir?

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Just my two cents but I find this topic ridiculous. You are trying to compare apples to organges and it cannot be done.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
@ shots

Not that I would join the Taliban just like I would not join a political party, but apples and oranges are in the eye of the beholder. Sure, they may both taste good but some people like oranges and despise apples, and vice-versa. Some people believe in what our military stands for and some people really do believe in what the Taliban stands for, so IMO it is just as valid a question as why someone has not joined the US armed forces.

To answer that question for the purpose of this thread, I wouldn't join either one as I do not see myself as being a puppet for any master as far as I can control it. It is bad enough that people have very little influence over their own lives besides joining into any group and giving away more of your own rights for reasons that are very much uncertain of their outcome. Everything man-made is likely to be destroyed in one way or another at some time in the future. My fight is to stay out of it and be myself as much as I have the will to do so.

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 24-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
Sure, they may both taste good but some people like oranges and despise apples, and vice-versa.

But this is not about taste. It is about good versus evil and no matter how you try you cannot make the two equal.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
@shots

Wrong again. Good and Evil is in the eye of the beholder. You obviously do not like the Taliban and love the US military so for you there is no way to compare the two, but the exact same thing can be said for someone who loves the Taliban and hates the US military. It is only one sided when someone loves one thing and hates the other, so you cannot say one side is not vaild just because you don't happen to like the other side.

It has everything to do with apples and oranges. If you don't believe me then why don't you start two new threads - one about eating apples, and one about eating oranges - and tell us what response you get. Is either preference better than the other? No, it is a matter of personal opinon of which one is better. Just because you believe the US military is better than the Taliban doesn't make it true for any other person, so it is not comparing apples to oranges but comparing the opinions between those who like the US military and those who like the Taliban. The opinion itself is does not make it true for the person believing in it, just as I would not think someone is retarded for eating apples or oranges, even though I don't care for either one of them.

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 24-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Wrong again. Good and Evil is in the eye of the beholder.

Excuse me??? I knew in which context I was using the phrase, so who are you to tell me otherwise? If you think good and evil are equal please do seek help.............

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Well, basically I found their health care plan lacking, they didn't offer time off in lieu, you had to pay for your own robes, they seem to attract 2000 pound munitions on a semi-regular basis, and I don't do caves.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willard856
I don't do caves.

Better get used to the caves. Ice age coming.

sri oracle

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Wrong again. Good and Evil is in the eye of the beholder.

Excuse me??? I knew in which context I was using the phrase, so who are you to tell me otherwise? If you think good and evil are equal please do seek help.............

I am telling you that good and evil is in the eye of the beholder, which is always true for anyone at any time, therefore the question of "why haven't you joined the Taliban" is not a less valid question than "why haven't you joined the US military".

Isn't this the premise that you started by saying that this topic is ridiculous because joining the Taliban is not the same as joining the US military? There is never one side of an argument so just because you like something doesn't mean it is true. Therefore the topic is ridiculous to you but it doesn't mean everyone else thinks it is.

I rest my case on this as it is seriously distracting from the actual topic.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   

As long as the actions do not directly or indirectly cause the death or injury to others, but succeed in the disruption and denial of use of infrastucture, then that would be morally acceptable.

Yes Lord I have been looking for someone to say that.

Fire up the stihl, we've got power lines to take down. SUV's to tip over.

Do you have a licence to wield a pen, sir?

Yes but I hear the feds are debating whether it should be revoked.

Originally posted by shots
If you think good and evil are equal please do seek help.

"Whenever there is good, there must also be evil, and wherever there is evil there must also be good. To increase one must of necessity increase the other. Good and bad are not two cut-and-dried, seperate existances. There is not one thing in this universe that can be labeled as good and good alone; and there is not one thing in the universe which you can label as bad and bad alone. - Swami Vivekananda"

[edit on 24-9-2006 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The differencesw between the US and the Taliban are easy.

The Taliban would never allow this thread to exist. Only the other thread that talks about why aren't you enlisted in the US military.

I would never join the taliban since they think blowing up a third century buddhist statue on the side of a mountain, which was a wolrd heritge piece of history had to go, because it was not islamic......Even the Mongol hordes left it. The taliban does not respect any islamic pre-history. Which makes them pathetic.

Ohhhh and having a person ride a bike into a group of children and blowing themself and the innocent children up for god is for the ones lacking in IQ.

God does not want you to blow children up. The evil people who ordered you to do this are out for there own decadent goals. And you gave up your life for that.

Under the taliban women are so restricted......And oh if you get raped and report it....the woman is punished.......Who wrote that ignorant law...Ohhh yeah a taliban man....or a male pretending to be a man.

So no I would not join any loser taliban ortganization.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
What is right and wrong?

What side is right and wrong?

Is there a wrong side?

If so does that mean the other side is right?

To answer the question of why havent I joined the taleban: "I havent joined the taleban because I believe that what they do is not right...."

Now to be fair the british armed forces are no heroes of the hour when it comes to fighting but then again who is right in combat? Do we justify the use of force behind reasons such as "freedom"? And what is "Right"? I mean is it "right" to invade a country? Is it "right" to use bombs on a subway against people who cant fight or wont fight? Is there a "right" and "wrong" or is it merely perception and opinion?

Sri, the armed forces are both the sword and the shield of the people. Like a sword it can be used for good or bad and like a shield it can protect us. Take the RAF SAR teams, are they brutal invaders? Or the hezbolah activists that denouced 9/11 and help the comunity.

Question is...is there a "right" side?

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Food for thought: You haven't joined the Taleban because you weren't born into the culture.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join