It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United Federation of Countries in Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
We all know about Star Trek and the United Federation of Planets. How about a REAL, United Federation of Countries?
The United States and China in a cooperative effort in space!

www.nytimes.com
WASHINGTON, Sept. 23 — The leader of NASA arrives in China on Sunday for a tour of space agency sites, making him the most senior American space official to go to China to discuss possible cooperation between the countries’ programs.
~~~~~~~
“This is a get-acquainted visit that has no preconditions to it,” he said recently. “We are going to see things and meet people, and see where that takes us.”
~~~~~~~
This year, Chinese officials visiting the United States outlined their plans for an extensive program of manned and unmanned programs, including orbiting a small, staffed space station by 2015 and establishing a moon program that includes sending a robotic orbiter next year, a lunar rover in 2012 and a lander that would return a moon sample to Earth in 2017. While there are no immediate plans to do so, Chinese officials also have expressed interest in sending humans to the moon.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It boggles the mind to consider what Mankind may accomplish if there ever is a true cooperative effort in space.

Although the world continues to struggle with internal issues, hunger, war and poverty; a step like this could result in new and better relations that could effect all other world programs and life as we know it.

Related News Links:
www.space.com
www.space.com

[edit on 9/24/2006 by semperfortis]

[edit on 9/24/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Great find.

I have reservations about us polluting our planet to the brink of destruction, and then running off to a new home because we're not willing to clean up our mess.

BUT

I also think any project that generates focussed international cooperation is a good thing.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Space missions are not exactly about finding ways to colonize distant lands after toxifying this Earth. More so, it has to do with research that typically benefits us Earthlings. Many technological marvels humanity enjoys today is a result of research and experiments done in space, and then the resulting data and results being analyzed and developed here. I think the UN should create an Astronomy branch to manage and mediate joint projects between member nations. would be pretty neat eh?

apc

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I think the UN should create an Astronomy branch to manage and mediate joint projects between member nations. would be pretty neat eh?

Heh... the UN would still be trying to figure out proper O2 mixtures while the rest of the world would be colonizing Alpha Centauri.

Space unity will be a good idea eventually, but right now competition is the only thing keeping the wheels of advancement turning. Space Race and all that.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
WE WERE BORN ON THIS PLANET BY GOD AND WE WILL SURVIVE BY GOD UNTIL WE ARE MEANT TO DIE. STOP TRYING TO ESCAPE DEATH

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Im not at all surpised by this in fact Iv been expecting something like this to happen.
The relationship suits both sides China gets access to US technology and in the future the US will benfit from Chinas rapid ecomnic rise in terms of financing future space projects. If the right diplomatic measures are taken the likes of India will also co operate with NASA.

Make no mistake about it the US government cant afford to let pride get in the way of diplomacy in the latest round of econmic wars/Space Race.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunkindonuts
WE WERE BORN ON THIS PLANET BY GOD AND WE WILL SURVIVE BY GOD UNTIL WE ARE MEANT TO DIE. STOP TRYING TO ESCAPE DEATH

Too bad they didn't use that arguement a few hundred years ago eh?

"We were born in Europe and by God we will survive in Europe until we are meant to die!"

Then we wouldn't have America

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the future First Human on Mars!

Let's have a round of applause for our intrepid, open minded adventurer!

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I was born on this planet not by god but by way of mother ... although she may have thought she was a god at times. What is it that has you scared of space exploration? If you truly believe in a god (of whatever sorts) didn't he/she/it create the heaven and the stars?? Is there somewhere in the bible where it says thou shalt not explore thy universe?

Taken from the movie Men in Black

1500 years ago, everybody "knew" that the earth was the center of the universe.

500 years ago, everybody "knew" that the earth was flat.

And 15 minutes ago, you "knew" that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll "know" tomorrow

The point of the quote in this context is ... what we think we know about the universe and our solar system can quickly change based on a few discoveries. The human experience is about exploration and constant discovery. I think it would be great for China and the US to share scientific minds and $$'s to pursue a common goal that could have benefits for all of mankind.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The world is in fact flat again, economically speaking of course.

I am a God fearing Christian, but I do not see or even know of anything forbidding man from exploring the Universe. Space research has many benefits that can further assist mankind in our evolution through time.

new topics

top topics

join