It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why are black athletes faster than white athletes?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
TG

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This has puzzled me for a long time.

For example, in the 100 metres I cant remember a white athlete beating a black athlete. If its happened its a very rare event.

So why are black athletes faster than white athletes? Is it genetic?

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
You don,t remember ALLAN WELLS? our own Scott sprinter.wooooot..

I,m pretty sure there,s a physiological reason for it..

Don,t Black people have a higher muscle mass ratio than white people??

Hence the obvious genital related quips!

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I don't know that answer but why under cryptozoology and mythical beasts?!

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It's most likely down to genetics and how the muscle fibres in their legs are made up? iirc there are different types of muscle fibre some are made for strength and others are made for speed?

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
I don't know that answer but why

I never noticed that

whoops.. maybe a move to a medical or science forum then?

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
It's most likely down to genetics and how the muscle fibres in their legs are made up? iirc there are different types of muscle fibre some are made for strength and others are made for speed?

Please don't get into that whole "fast twitch muscle fiber thing" because, as humans, we have the same type of muscles as white people.

And don't say we jump higher becasue we have an extra bone in our foot.

Have you ever thought of the socio-economic possabilities? Becasue there aren't necessarily as many options for poor black people in this country, they are often led into sports as a means for higher education. There probably are white people who could be as fast with as much training and effort, but there isn't necesserily the need because they have other options open to them.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Yeah, its not like because someone is black they belong to a different species, it just means that they have a different skin color.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

On the one hand are those who say it's in the genes; that black people were born not only to run but run faster than white folk: on the other are those who baulk at the very notion, saying that the preponderance of elite black athletes is down to class and society.

Actually both are right. Genetics, in the form of having a higher proportion of "fast-twitch" fibres and more testosterone than whites, may predispose a black individual to run fast. But biology alone does not make champions. As well as graft, focus and a winning mindset, the forces which combine to set those fast-twitch fibres twitching in the direction of the school running track cannot be underestimated.

www.jonentine.com...

You are also right RASO..

It,s why in UK we seem to only make good runners these days.Coz they dont get the scholarships of the US or the military funding of the Soviets.They have to subsidise their training through full time jobs

But it is a FACT it is a Genetical advantage.That coupled with a pure DESIRE to achieve something that will benefit them and their families is a winning formula

Fast twitch works better speed wise but you need strong slow twitch for stamina BTW

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I am going to be real frank here.

It is because the slave drivers would only breed for the best qualities, strong backs and broad hips.
Africa Americans where breed for the best qualities, period.

[edit on 24-9-2006 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by YodaMoFo
Yeah, its not like because someone is black they belong to a different species, it just means that they have a different skin color.

Yes I agree but there are obvious physical differences hence black/white and some not so obvious. I think it's important not to be afraid of these differences. After all racism is built on it.

[edit on 24-9-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Maybe Crypto Mundo would have the answer.

Anyway, i always thought it might be genetic. Hispanics can outrun Americans also.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
One theory is selective breeding.

Slaves were seen as nothing more than farm equipment for the most part and would have been subject to the same types of selective breeding 'theory' as any other. If a Bull is prized and sought after for her genetics, and dogs often have detailed lineages detailing their breeding, my feeling is that slave owners would also want their slaves to be sturdy, strong, and of good stock.

Though slavery ended in the 1860's, bringing in slaves from outside the US was banned in 1807. Is 60ish years enough to biologically change the course of the development of an entire race of people? Probably not to the extent we are seeing here. Slavery had been an institution for far longer than just those last 60 years, and some think that Slavers would also have been promoting their more physically gifted slaves and segregating their weaker slaves.

Could 400 years have an effect on the biology of a group of people? It seems logical, but researchers do not agree and have argued it for a while.

However.. Of all the men to have run the 100 meter in less than 10 seconds.. Not one of them was white. There hasn't been a successful white running back in the NFL in years. Something to think about, for sure.

(I don't personally believe in the theory above, I just thought I would post it for others to consider.)

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
WOW thats a suprise!! only discussing the evolution of black AMERICAN athletes..

Just kidding.. I totally go with the selective breeding... in some cases..

But what about the Kenyans?? Boy do they kick everyones butts EVERY championship on long distances..

Thats gotta be considered

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Fast twitch works better speed wise but you need strong slow twitch for stamina BTW

But then again, africa also produces some of the best endurance athletes, such as the kenyan and ethiopian chaps.

There are some physical differences, as there are between whites only; tall scandinavians, stocky celtics etc, but I wouldn't say it can be split it on a black/white basis.

I agree with Raso that it's mainly socialiological thing. Rowing teams, race drivers and golfers tend to be white, not because of any physical advantage but because of the cost and social setting of the sport. They usually require a certain level of paraental income to get involved in. Football/soccer is internationally one of the most diverse sports, since it is also on the the most accessible.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by nowthenlookhere

But then again, africa also produces some of the best endurance athletes, such as the kenyan and ethiopian chaps.

ERM YEAH!! I think I mighta mentioned that up there^^^^

Actually the link I supplied in a hurry was really good

Black athletes hold the world records in all seven major sprint events, including the two team relays.

Kenyans won gold, silver and bronze medals in the 3,000m at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

At the 1988 Seoul Olympics Kenyans won the men's 800, 1,500, 5,000 and 3,000 steeplechase titles.

In 1886 Arthur Wharton, a Ghanaian who settled in the north of England, became the first man to run 100 yards in 10 seconds in the Amateur Athletic Association Championships.

Underneath black skin there is more muscle and less fat. White athletes have a greater proportion of fat and less muscle.

Research carried out by experts at the Copenhagen Institute of Sports Science on Kenyans from the Kalenjin tribe of the Great Rift Valley, shows distinct genetic characteristics which help them store oxygen in the body and reduce fatigue

www.jonentine.com...
Biggish quote i know but speaks volumes

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Please don't get into that whole "fast twitch muscle fiber thing" because, as humans, we have the same type of muscles as white people.

? Really? I had thought that blacks did tend to have a slightly diffrent percentage of different muscle types than europeans. There's nothing inhuman about that, blacks tend to have more melanin in their skin than whites, so why not a slightly different percentage of muscle types? Especially given that the climates of europe are different from africa, why not have some adaptations specific to it?

sportsmedicine.about.com...

The genetic component of muscle fiber type can not be overlooked when it comes to performance. Olympic athletes tend to be genetically blessed with large variations in fast and slow twitch fibers that perfectly suit their sport. Olympic sprinters have been shown to possess about 80% fast twitch fibers while those who excel in the marathon may have 80% slow twitch fibers.

If anything, perhaps it would be more accurate to say that people with more fast twitch muscles tend to be better at sprinting, regardless of their being black, white, asian, etc.

Becasue there aren't necessarily as many options for poor black people in this country, they are often led into sports as a means for higher education

BUt this wouldn't explain why, as alleged in the opeing post, black sprinters tend to beat white sprinters.
OF course, we have to ask, is that even true in the first place?
Your position posits that blacks will be over-represented amoung sprinters (and other sports), not that they'd have a statistical tendency to win against non-blacks. But, agian, is there even such a tendency?

And, again, all this is just natural human variability anyway, it hardly means that anyone is 'less' of a person because of it.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Funny that studies that bring the differences between racial groups are not very well covered.

Many studies are always been on one specific racial group than others.

But if we are to look at how athletes are chosen and selected it was a time when all athletes were of the white racial group until the black racial group started to show to become valuable in sports for their performance.

So actually is not studies needed, the quality of black athletes is undeniable.

But has anybody noticed that when it comes to swimming people of the white race group seems to be the best.

I wonder.

[edit on 24-9-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Could that be because running is seen as the only way out for the Kenyans? Everyone in Kenya runs. They have built a culture around it. Children as young as 4 and 5 are running -miles- at a time.

Kenya doesn't really have much of a sprinting history, but their edurance cannot be denied.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

Hence the obvious genital related quips!

Actually there has been a study that proves that is just a myth....

as for the athletes part, there are some white athletes in many sports...

just not alot in basketball anymore...of course there isnt much else to do in the inner city.

and of course it involves runing, stealing, and shooting.....

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
And dont forget...

They're the best singers too.

God handed out talents at one point.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join