It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indonesian Christians riot after executions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
After the execution of three Christian Terrorists sentenced to death in 2001 in Indonesia thousands of Indonesian Christians went to the streets, protesting resulting in some violent outbursts. Human Rights Groups have claimed that Christians have been unfairly punished. With the Indonesian Government pointing towards the death sentence being given to three terrorists involved in the Bali Bombings of 2002.

www.ft.com
Christian mobs attacked police posts and other government symbols in at least two Indonesian districts Friday after the early-morning execution of three Christian militants convicted of leading six-year-old attacks in which at least 70 Muslims died.

Authorities said the thousands who took to the streets in central Sulawesi and the West Timor town of Atambua had largely dispersed by late afternoon. But the violence highlights lingering tensions between Christian minorities and Muslim communities in some parts of the world’s largest Muslim nation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It’s very interesting how such riots never factor in the News. So far, I’ve yet to find any other source for this event. It was not mentioned on the BBC, ITV or Channel 4 in the United Kingdom nor on Sky News. For many of the people who point towards the fact that terrorism is irrelevant of Religion as is violence can be legitimised by the actions of these groups in Indonesia.

Maybe it’s about time more and more people wake up to see violence is not based on race, gender, ethnicity or religion.

[edit on 23/9/2006 by Odium]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
How odd.

Where is the normal crowd, who appear on every thread when a Muslim Riots calling Islam violent? Would this be like the last event where Christian Groups riot, kill people, get violent and we look the other way? Pretend it doesn't happen?

Hmm...

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
pretty much odium. Im not surprised that this happened. Violence isnt a religion thing, its a human one.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   

" . . after the early-morning execution of three Christian militants convicted of leading six-year-old attacks in which at least 70 Muslims died."

Q.1) Militants
Q.2) leading
Q.3) 70 died
Q.4) A fair trial?

Does anyone know the circumstances of this event? These are just 4 issues I would like to know more about.

I've said for many years "missionaries" ought to be confined to their own countries until they ave converted all their fellow citizens before being allowed to go abroad. But that's me. I can’t think of one good thing missionaries have done but I can think of dozens of bad things. Hmm?

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
How odd.

Where is the normal crowd, who appear on every thread when a Muslim Riots calling Islam violent? Would this be like the last event where Christian Groups riot, kill people, get violent and we look the other way? Pretend it doesn't happen?

Hmm...

Maybe beacuse there was next to no news coverage.
This is the first I've heard.

Secondly. I think Islam IS a violent religion. When preceded by the word RADICAL.
But so are other religions. when preceded by that same word, or a similar one.

[edit on 24-9-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite

" . . after the early-morning execution of three Christian militants convicted of leading six-year-old attacks in which at least 70 Muslims died."

Q.1) Militants
Q.2) leading
Q.3) 70 died
Q.4) A fair trial?

Does anyone know the circumstances of this event? These are just 4 issues I would like to know more about.

i would like to know as well as this is the first i have ever heard about it. are there any links to what they did or anything about the trial?

I've said for many years "missionaries" ought to be confined to their own countries until they ave converted all their fellow citizens before being allowed to go abroad. But that's me. I can’t think of one good thing missionaries have done but I can think of dozens of bad things. Hmm?

personaly i can't think of any bad thing missionaries have done but only good things. can you provide some info on bad things they have done?

let's see some of the good missionaries do:
provide medical aid where none exists otherwise, mostly free of charge at that.
provideing food where food is scarce, again at no charge.
provide education, yet again where people would not recieve an education, yet again free of charge

in fact my parrents are on the mission field as we speak starting a mission to feed, house and educate street children. children who have nothing and are out alone fending for themselves sometimes as early as five years old. is this a bad thing? i think not. these kids have no hope as things stand. there are realy no government agencies to help these kids. these kids normaly end up on drugs and commit crimes to survive. how is trying to help them a bad thing?

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
How odd.

Hmm...

Well, far be it of me to divert the trends of the ATS Faithful (Oh my word thats a bad pun in a religiously based thread..... sue me), but anyways, I'll say what is due here:

Christianity is a violent religion!

You may all faint now.... oh and please, redirect any planned flamings to someone who will pay attention....

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daystar

it is? thats interesting to hear that view point. nowhere in the new testiment does it mention that we should use violance. in fact it is just the opposit. please point out where cristians are suppost to be violent as i have never read anything to support your claims.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by drogo

it is? thats interesting to hear that view point. nowhere in the new testiment does it mention that we should use violance. in fact it is just the opposit. please point out where cristians are suppost to be violent as i have never read anything to support your claims.

Do I even need to point out the Crusades to you? And what of the constant violence in the name of Christianity in Africa?

OH! and BUSH! GOD told him to do it!

And ask the South American Natives who were butchered by the Spanish not just for gold and jewels but for God... I am sure they would have something to say about the Violence of Christianity.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but Christianity is not the beacon of light and understanding it fancies itself to be.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
daystar that would be one sect of christianity namely the catholics. as for the crusades it was a fight between the catholics and the muslims. this does not make christianity evil in and of itself but those people involved in it. if you read the new testimont it does not tell cheistians to use violence to convert people.

as for the violance in africa i can't say anything about it as i have never heard of anything about it. certainly not that christians were doing anything.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
this does not make christianity evil in and of itself

Excellent. Thank you for pointing this out. And with this statement in mind, I would ask that those who harp on about Islam being evil take into account this when talking about Islam.

Carpet bombing the situation with statements such as "Such and such a religion is evil!" would be like me saying "All Americans are rednecks with pickup trucks and shotguns!". It simply isnt the case.

Thanks for participating btw.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
donwhite, I was very much waiting for these questions to be raised.

From the research I have done over the last few days, these three people were in charged and involved with a Militant Christian Group in Indonesia. During a campaign by Christians in Poso to destabilise the region. In 2001 the courts decided that they would be sentenced to death. The appeal process has taken up to now for them. The same has been done to Muslims who were involved in the Bali Bombing, sentenced to death and are now out their last appeal process. So the trial was probably fair.

drogo no offence, but if your family are Christian Missionaries they’re probably the sort of people I’d not want teaching children. The fact is, a lot of these Missionaries go to areas filled with poverty and so on and so fourth and teach people who become baptised, pray to Jesus every Sunday and so on and so fourth. Something which as a Religious person I find disgusting and repugnant.

If they really cared, there would be no building of the Church, there would be no need to convert, there would be no need to pary. They would do it out of the goodness of their heart.

df1

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I would ask that those who harp on about Islam being evil take into account this when talking about Islam.

God gets a bad rap for the actions of 'evil men' that elevate themselves to a position above God by distorting the word of God to their followers. I see little difference between jews, christians and muslims in this regard. All are guilty of a vast number of crimes in Gods name. Once the flock is convinced that it is Gods will, virtually no limit to the heinous atrocities man will inflict upon man exists.

"All Americans are rednecks with pickup trucks and shotguns!"

Pick-up trucks and shot guns are so 20th century. Don't all americans drive a lexus and carry a licensed concealed weapon with a tom cruise statue on the dash these days?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I found 3 news articles regarding this subject:

Christian Mobs Riot In Indonesia

Washington Times reporting on this

Another riot

Despite what these articles portray, I view Christianity as a peaceful religion. Anger is a basic emotion in any human, and religion (any religion) is what tries to diminish it, if not control it.

[edit on 25-9-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
(AP) PALU, Indonesia Three Christian militants were executed by firing squad early Friday for leading attacks on Muslims six years ago that left at least 70 people dead, sparking fresh sectarian clashes on restive Sulawesi island, police said. Indonesian authorities said the trials and sentences of these men had nothing to do with religion and that they were justified by the nature of the crimes the three had committed.

[edit on 25-9-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

posted by df1

God gets a bad rap for the actions of 'evil men' . .

I thought God made them?

Fabianus Tibo, 60, Marinus Riwu, 48, and Dominggus da Silva, 42, were convicted of leading a Christian militia that carried out a series of attacks in May 2000 -- including a machete and gun assault on an Islamic school that left at least 70 persons dead. The attack on the school was one of the worst incidents during sectarian violence that swept Sulawesi province from 1998 to 2002. . . W-Times

Until the middle of the 20th century, missionaries operated under th rubric that the highly ritualistic ‘saving of souls’ was paramount. That all else was secondary or worse. Or, that by doing the secondary - offering wiser health practices - and physical improvements, such as rodent-proof housing, was motivated only for the devious goal of ingratiating themselves into the local unsophisticated culture so that in the final analysis, the missionaries could destroy the false gods of the people and substitute the one true god of the missionaries.

Hawaii is one great example of missionaries gone awry! Far awry.

The only good missionary I am aware of is Albert Schweitzer, and hie is dead.

[edit on 9/25/2006 by donwhite]

df1

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
I view Christianity as a peaceful religion.

Imho in the context of waging war and killing ones fellow man, it is not possible for a religion to be either violent or peaceful. Only a human can have these charteristics. A million acts of violence by men that claim christianity as their religion, could not make christianity a violent religion, no more than a million kind and benevolent acts by christian men can make it a peaceful religion.

Bertrand russell was once quoted as saying something to effect of, "Going to church can not make you a christian any more than going to the garage can turn you into a car.". I think this same logic applies to a violant man going to a church, synagog or mosque. His nature will not be changed by entering & exiting the structure.

top topics

join