It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart to Sell Generic Drugs for $4

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Ha ha!!

The catch may come later when in order to benefit from such price you have to wear a chip implanted on your forehead.

That would be the last laugh.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Good for WalMart.

I've been saying for years that if Americans want the same lower pricing we have up here in Canada, you have to do what we do. Negotiate better pricing with manufacturers based on purchasing power.

It is unfortunate for the small mom and pop type stores that will have to compete and don't have the purchasing power of WalMart. Maybe they could form some sort of buying group to give them the same clout with manufacturers.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
cavscout

enjoy the low cost on your medicines but remember that you still don't get it everything this people do comes with a price.

That means to control the markets and run others out of businesses onces they do that guess what they are the only ones that you will have turn for your needs.

Once your need them then they can turn around and impose whatever rules they feel they can impose.

This only on generic drugs, meaning that new drugs are not on your reach as you have need for treatments.

Yes they are reliable and they are suppose to be on the same category as none generics but by the times that generic drugs are available under low prices is because already a new one has taken their place and suppose to be better.

And is not for all drugs only certain drugs remember that.

And yes I got a good insurance thanks to my husband status of veteran but the insurance is not free either.

[edit on 23-9-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I really don't get it, Wal-Mar appeals to the lower income class with their cheap produce and cheap tactics because that is what they target the needy in the country while giving low pay jobs to the same people that they cater, kind of a been stuck deal, work in the store that you can afford to buy in.

So the money keeps going on circles.

I prefer to pay a litter bit more for my goods and get better quality.

I shop at Walmart and I make pretty good money .. I do avoid their produce and meat. I rarely by their clothes, except for socks and undershirts, but for all the dry/canned grocery items, butter, milk, etc. ... they have the best price. I understand the issue of quality ... but if I can buy Campbells soup or a bottle of shampoo for 30% less at Walmart than my local Safeway/Target/whatever ... then there's the draw for Walmart.

I love how our current American culture places so much value on where you buy your items. Is there really any difference between my $30 SEARS jeans and someones $200+ jeans?? I prefer to keep as much of my money in my bank account for as long as possible.

If it's a generic RX my copay is $5 ... the $1 difference is not going to make me switch to WalMart. However, there are many Americans without adequate or any prescription coverage. For them and those on Social Security this plan will allow people to not have to choose between paying the light bill or filling their heart medication. I'm thankful not to have to make that choice ... but glad WalMart is willing to help people out. And if they make $$'s doing it ... well, I'd call that "all American".

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I think its wonderful. What a great thing!!!I take a few drugs and they're generic, so i can surely take advantage of this.
I cannot help feeling like there's something more to this, though. These big corporations are pushing Republicans all the way and I dont get a sense that this is for the good of the people. I get the sense that in some underhanded way, someone else will benefit.
Shame on me for feelilng this way. I know it will drive lots of foot traffic thru Walmart and Targets and that means $$$...but why now...at this particular time?
Anyway, the majority overules, i guess. If nobody else is suspicious, i will put my suspicions to rest. Fair enough?

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
OTHER CURRENT EVENTS....

want to continue this ?

[edit on 23-9-2006 by dgtempe]

I surely want to continue this, but it had been moved by a moderator in case you didn't notice it.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I love this! I admit for my own 'selfish' reasons. I had cancer so (to make a long story short) I can't get insurance from regular providers and would pay at LEAST 1500 a month for minimal coverage... It's not worth it to me. So I buy my one perscription (unrelated to cancer) from Canada. Here (in the USA) it's $50 a month at Wal-Mart for the generic.

I was told that some people who get their drugs from Canada are starting to receive notes from our government instead of their drugs saying that they have been confiscated because buying from Canada is illegal. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it has me concerned. I believe there will be a crack-down because buying from Canada competes with our pharmaceutical companies and they sleep tightly with the government.

If I can pay $4 instead of $50, I will buy my clothes, groceries and housewares from Wal-mart!
I HOPE it happens!

You go, Wal-Mart!

[edit on 24-9-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
As a person that is very skeptical of everything and for a reason.

I will wait to se the truth behind the generosity.

Just remember that is not all drugs that are covered under the Wal-Mart new generosity to people.

Only Generic drugs that are already discounted to begin with.

The drug give away has a limit.

The program will cover 291 generic medications, including those used to treat and manage conditions such as allergies, cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes. Some antibiotics, antidepressants, antipsychotics and prescription vitamins also are included.

www.cnsnews.com.../Nation/archive/200609/NAT20060922d.html

My father drugs to keep his prostate cancer at bait are not included and neither my mother strongest hart medication due to hart complications.

For anybody else it seems like a good deal but beware.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Originally posted by dgtempe
OTHER CURRENT EVENTS....

want to continue this ?

[edit on 23-9-2006 by dgtempe]

I surely want to continue this, but it had been moved by a moderator in case you didn't notice it.
It was always here. So there.
What are you smoking.
If you do not have anything to contribute, then, i suggest you go elsewhere, with all due respect. If you have a thought as to this theme, then by all means contribute properly. thank you.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Marg

Is there a list somewhere of the 291 drugs?

How did you know which were covered and which weren't?

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Is there a list somewhere of the 291 drugs?

Only the under the categories, that is what is shown so far by the news media, I imagine that once Wal-Mart have their program nation wide they will have to provide for a list of the specific drugs for people to ask their doctors for them.

How did you know which were covered and which weren't?

Because I take drugs and my father and mother take drugs and the drug I am right now is not on generic form and neither my parents.

You can ask you doctor if you drugs comes on generic form, if you drug is pretty new the chances are that is not on generic form yet, or that it may never be due to the type of condition that it treats.

Just ask you doctor.

This is a site with list for generic drugs or regular drugs you can see the list is very large so to find out which ones are the ones that Wal-Mart will sell it will be difficult because of the categories that they will only sell under.

Remember some generic drugs are already discounted so I imagine that Wal-Mart will take advantage of those in their list.

www.myrxhealth.com...

[edit on 24-9-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Republicans have their War on Terror, and Democrats have their War on Wal-Mart.

But unlike the terrorist, Wal-Mart continues to help and support average Americans, and strengthens the economy!

Wal-Mart not compromising with Unions is the equivilent to the United States not compromising with Terrorists! Go Wal-Mart!

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
My question is if a corporation like Walmart can effectively reduce drug prices by such an extreme, being a corporation driven on profits, why could our federal government do nothing remotely close and actually increase cost of medication by doing such idiotic things like ban Canadian medication?

My point being, a walmart super center has the potential to carry a better health care system then the worlds last remaining super power. I personally will shake my head and call it disgusting, I require no medication so this does not effect me, but I am glad older people or anyone else who needs meds can get them cheap.

Of course it should be reminded that Walmart is a truly evil corporation that uses a unique tactic on a wide scale, that being they come into an area with extreme low prices, often not making any profit at all, when all the smaller shops and the bigger stores like the Meijers, Cos cos, Kroger, Kmart, Target, they loose customers and gain "frequent" customers they jack the prices up again.

The bad thing for the little guy, your average Joe, is Walmart shuts down all the small Pharmacies like Walgreen's, CVS, little shops, then they jack the prices up and will literally monopolize the entire industry in select regions. Walmart does nothing for the good of the people, they are very skilled at making it appear they do. They will profit, a lot, otherwise Walmart wouldn't do it. This is just like their attempt to become a massive bank by offering interest rates that are inconceivable by your real banks, they would consume all the customers and raise the interest. Keep your eye on walmart because they are not in it for public service. As DG said, it being Walmart there is more then meets the eye.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Rockpuck

The issue of the low price on generic drugs is not new, generic drugs that Wal-Mart will be offering are already discounted, they are not going to lose a penny.

They are only offering a limited amount of drugs under this generosity.

hold on, the scoop on the drugs is not what it seems it was exaggerated

Is only 124 medicines?

The plan, which is said to cover 300 drugs, includes only about 124 separate medicines in various dosages, like 12 versions of the popular antibiotic amoxicillin. It leaves out some popular drugs altogether, like the generic version of the cholesterol-lowering treatment Zocor.

www.nytimes.com...

What was the strategy for the so call drug benefits?

Nothing more than a business move, it sent shares of its competitors CVS and Walgreen down sharply yesterday, nice move Wal-Mart.

Analysts said the risks to Wal-Mart are slim because profit margins on most of the drugs already are low — and the program could help the Arkansas-based retailer address an image problem stemming from its policies on health insurance coverage for employees.

"They are doing something that may be good for consumers, but they don't have altruistic motives," said Patricia Edwards, a portfolio manager and retail analyst at Wentworth, Hauser & Violich in Seattle. "They are capitalists. They still need to make a profit."

The whole deal came after attacks from union on the bad practices of Wal-Mar for their employees.

They can not even afford the health care program Wal-Mart offer because they do not pay enough.

So Wal-Mart hire a group to help boost PO, and it seems that the best idea to change Wal-Mart PO is with this new generic drug deal.

Is actually not deal at all, but when people see the propaganda on the drugs they think that is all great.

It is not, they are using tricks to bring costumers into their stores for drugs but what they are targeting is more people to browse and shop.

No corporation like Wal-Mart does anything if is not for a reason, to increase profits and help with the already tarnished PO.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
My question is if a corporation like Walmart can effectively reduce drug prices by such an extreme, being a corporation driven on profits, why could our federal government do nothing remotely close and actually increase cost of medication by doing such idiotic things like ban Canadian medication?

Good question. I would think the US government could do more to reduce the prices of medication. Banning Canadian medicine only prevents those with the funds to have to choose between medicine and other neccessities. Of course this is the same government that bails out the airline industry to the tune of $15 billion after 9/11 but when the US government buys tickets it pays the FULL PUBLISHED RATES. You'd think with as many tickets as they buy they could get a reduced rate and save the taxpayers some money.

Of course it should be reminded that Walmart is a truly evil corporation that uses a unique tactic on a wide scale, that being they come into an area with extreme low prices, often not making any profit at all, when all the smaller shops and the bigger stores like the Meijers, Cos cos, Kroger, Kmart, Target, they loose customers and gain "frequent" customers they jack the prices up again.

Yes Walmart is a large corporation ... truly evil, I'm not sure about that. The tactics they use (losing leaders, etc) are used by all the corporations around the US. I feel sorry for the "mom and pop" stores rather than the Krogers and KMarts. When the local Safeway came to town and decided to add a gas station they sold their gas at much lower rates than any of the other gas stations. There was a lawsuit and documents were produced showing the Safeway was actually losing money or barely breaking even on their gas sales ... but it got more people into their store. In the end they were required to sell their gas at a fair market rate ... they're still lower but not dramatically so.

Will Walmart make $$'s on their generic drug sales ... probably, otherwise they wouldn't do it. But if I can save money and they can make money I don't really see the harm. The press release never said they were doing this as a goodwill gesture ... they're a business, they're intent is to make a profit.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
cavscout

enjoy the low cost on your medicines but remember that you still don't get it everything this people do comes with a price.

That means to control the markets and run others out of businesses onces they do that guess what they are the only ones that you will have turn for your needs.

Once your need them then they can turn around and impose whatever rules they feel they can impose.

This only on generic drugs, meaning that new drugs are not on your reach as you have need for treatments.

Yes they are reliable and they are suppose to be on the same category as none generics but by the times that generic drugs are available under low prices is because already a new one has taken their place and suppose to be better.

And is not for all drugs only certain drugs remember that.

And yes I got a good insurance thanks to my husband status of veteran but the insurance is not free either.

then for the other drugs.. you go to someone else. if a market exists someone will sell to it. if x is a drug that someone wants to buy but wal-mart doesnt sell drug x someone else will

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedDragon
if x is a drug that someone wants to buy but wal-mart doesnt sell drug x someone else will

Yes you are right, still you will have to get your more expensive drugs or the ones that will not be in the list in another pharmacy, but remember Wal-Mart also sells none Generic drugs.

So the trick to the marketing move is that once you are in Wal-Mart getting drugs that may be in their list, why now buy the ones that are not.

Plain marketing game.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
A couple of points:

There may be some criticism that $4 generic drugs are nothing more than a loss leader. So what? It is up to the consumer to be a disciplined buyer.

What's the beef about Wal-Mart pharmacists not knowing about drug interactions? Their pharmacists have to be licensed the same as any other pharmacist.

Brand name drug prices are set by the drug companies. And you cannot request a generic if your doctor wrote the scrip for a brand name. Well, you can ask, but the pharmacist is supposed to fill the scrip with the brand name.

The argument that Wal-Mart will drive out the mom & pops and then hold you captive to whatever price they set is silly. I have never seen a single example of them doing this.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Of course that is the plan and it is called capitolism. This has gone on forever and always will, the big always fall from their own greed and the little guy climbs to the top and starts all over again.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Walmart shuts down all the small Pharmacies like Walgreen's, CVS, little shops, then they jack the prices up and will literally monopolize the entire industry in select regions. .

Can you please state your source for this statement?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join