It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labour for hire - £1,500 to chat with a minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   

EXCLUSIVE access to Cabinet ministers and other senior Labour politicans is being offered for thousands of pounds at next week’s party conference.

source

is this even legal? it seems to me to be yet another sign of New Labours sleaze and in some ways similar to the cash for questions event that happened under the tories

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Cameron on menu if price is right
Senior business figures have been invited to pay thousands of pounds to join a club offering dinners and phone calls with Tory leader David Cameron.

They can arrange regular meetings, with the amount of contact varying according to their financial contributions.

They are all at it to be honest, the Labour Party has the "thousand club" which is hundreds of people paying smaller amounts to see Ministers and the Conservative Party has the "Leader's Club" where a smaller number of people pay more.

Its disappointing to be honest, then again I've come to expect this kind of thing with the amount of money they throw around at election time and silly look at me press events.

Spin eats away at their party bank balances, and I'm glad.

Spin is eating away at politics and I think its justice of a sort, they are finally seeing the financial effects of their spin campaigns and political PR campaigns.

[edit on 30-9-2006 by Prometheus James]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Cor, you go away for a week and this is what I find on return?!

Time to grow up, wise up, tune in and get real on this issue.

This 'example' is completely legal and is something all the major UK parties do (and I've heard of it happening in the USA, Ireland and probably in Europe too).

Open, legal, publicly declared and fully above board political party funding is nothing like the same as 'corruption'.

It is nothing like the same as undeclared and secret payments of cash to individual MPs or the 'giving' of freebies on the quiet to individual MPs.

Here's the truth of the matter.

Parties are always broke.
Election campaigns are expensive.

No-one wants to pay for them.

They can either be funded by the taxpayer or by private individuals who may have their own agenda.

Take your pick.

The real point in all of this is that if the the extent of 'corruption' in UK government is confined to something that occasionally looks like 'the purchase of peerages' (and even that is open to exposure thanks to the unprecedented evolving legal and accounting framework - thanks to this government - documenting the parties incomes, gifts, donations, loans etc now in place) then we are probably not doing too badly.

If they weren't getting the gongs then you'd have to ask yourself what they were really after.

In America they don't have peers, major donors get to be ambassadors instead, which seems to me far more harmful.

It's a sign of the times that certain people (many of whom I'm sure ought to know better) will carelessly throw terms like "corruption" around to try and score some cheap political 'points' (attaching it to things that plainly are not 'corrupt') but at the end of the day all it does is nothing but counter-productively and rather foolishly devalue the concept itself.

[edit on 3-10-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

new topics

join