It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The overall impact of Bio fuels.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11...Arent you getting a bit carried away ?

Not even in the slightest.

For example wouldnt it be more economical if small isolated communities used other methods to generate electricity ?

We are not talking about (just) small isolated communities. I mean universally.

Surely in some cases it would it would be cheaper to install the likes of solor panels

Solar power is nuclear power, fusion in the Chronosphere.

or wind turbines

Solar power fuels wind power. It is ultimately nuclear.

rather then run power lines from the distant Nuclear power plant.

Distant? Distant? Power lines? Did I say anything about "distant" and "power lines"? Or even a "nuclear power plant"?

Nuclear power has its place but it dosnt tackle motor vehicles the biggest users of oil.

The place you have given nuclear power is in your head. It may not be your fault, but rather what you have been told.

I have a late friend who developed a nuclear battery capable of powering an electric vehicle for a hundred years (yes, more than enough power to shake a stick at). The corporate interests downsized it to a watch battery with a twenty five year life. Your smoke detector most likely has a nuclear source for a detector. Nuclear science equates to safety in the home. If the Moray system is ever developed, that means every home can have a nuclear source no larger than a shoebox. Fusion power has been under development for decades, and applied to deep space exploration. The starships of the future will be swathed in a corona fusing interstellar gasses. Yes, we can be all nuclear, and completely safe to boot.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MBF
The production of ethanol doesn't use any trace elements in the the fuel itself, only carbon,hydrogen and oxygen.

good point, but the same isn't true for f-ex. vegetable oils, unfortunately. it needs to be considered, that's all, if it still makes sense, i'd say go for it, but so far i haven't seen too many hyped technologies without crippling drawbacks.

It is the standard saying among us farmers that if just one pound or bushel of a crop is produced in a year, that crop has been overproduced.

it's a cartel and farmers as well as taxpayers get the shaft. the best way to bring this to a halt would be coordinated refusal to sell crops unless decent prices are paid. i know storage would be an issue, but i can't see the cartel holding out more than a few weeks. can you?

MBF

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance

it's a cartel and farmers as well as taxpayers get the shaft. the best way to bring this to a halt would be coordinated refusal to sell crops unless decent prices are paid. i know storage would be an issue, but i can't see the cartel holding out more than a few weeks. can you?

I agree. Don't think for a second that I haven't tried. The problem is that farmers will not stick together. I we get together and agree on something, somebody will slip around your back and sell theirs. Years ago, we had the NFO that was to negotate to get higher prices for our crops and livestock. We were raising hogs at the time and agreed to sell our hogs through the buying point. Well, the farmer that was running the buying point was caught hauling his hogs at night and selling them at a lower price. My father stopped selling throught the buying point like most other farmers. A couple of years later he had a visit from one of the NFO representatives and was threatened with a lawsuit of several thousand dollars, which was a lot of money back then, he said that he would go to court and tell just what the people running the buying points were doing and the best thing for him to do was hit the road. We never heard from them again.

There will always be a farmer that has a bill that just has to be paid or is being threatened if he doesn't pay it. I've been there, it ain't pretty.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Sadly, by now the banks seem to own everything, through debt or through shares... depressing. industrialised agriculture is a disaster in the making, the biofuel-on-subsidies issue is just a subset of this huge problem.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Hear in New Zealand we dont have worry about working Bio fuels working around agriculture subsidies because of the simple fact that the government hasnt handed out agriculture subsidies in twenty years. Developing viable Bio fuels in New Zealand could be a slow process due the need for investment and political opposition to GE from some quarters.

[edit on 26-9-2006 by xpert11]

MBF

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
industrialised agriculture is a disaster in the making,

I agree, it's just a matter of time before it catches up with everyone, then it's too late.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join