It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Searching for some Antarctica info...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I remember way back in the end of the 80´s, possibly 90, the norwegian glacier scientist Monika Christensen was leading an expedition through antarctica. Well underway she got into some bumps as the US goverment demanded she would cancel her expedition as she was about to enter something they called "Clean Air Zone", a part of antarctica supposed to feature measuring equipment for taking air samples.

Monika replied that this could not be as the US government had somewhat 250 helicopter landings in the same area on a yearly basis, what harm could a snowscooter do, she refused and kept at it. The US government turned to the norwegian prime minister which in turn asked Monika to abort and turn around which she eventually did.

Now, this happened before the web and i´ve tried searching for information about this but have so gotten pretty much nothing.

Does anyone know anything about this subject?
Anyone have/seen information about US "clean air zones" in antarctica?
Anyone remember this expedition in perticular?

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
have a look at this site.

www.cmdl.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Thank you very much! Most helpfull

Eventually if i gather enough information i will attempt to contact her to see if she will shed some light on her story although due to her current emplyoment i doubt she will say much.

[edit on 22-9-2006 by tomra]

join