It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a question for the religious...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 06:23 PM
link   
does your religion/religious preference make you feel comfortable judging others and forsaking love for children of the fathers creation?...

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The Bible in Matthew 7 says

Do not judge, or you too will be judged
and Do to others what you would have them do to you.
So how can any Christian feel comfortable judging and forsaking love?

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
have a physical church on their lips and christ not in their hearts...

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 07:27 PM
link   
the golden rule is flawed i like this better
"people have the right to choose unless their right to choice takes away someone else's right to choose" -bill hicks

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 07:37 PM
link   
the golden rule is cool...

but people fail to realize we live in a free will universe...
where choices are the distinction between those who do and those who dont...

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 07:50 PM
link   
sure the golden rule would work just fine if everybody wished to be treated the same and if everybody thought alike but they do not regardless of who follows it or who does not so no its not a joke at all

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 09:49 PM
link   
"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs" (Mt. 7,6).

According to Christ's teaching, man is united with God in the Mystery of Communion -- the holy Eucharist.
The Lord says: "I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world...

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except that you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you... He who eateth My flesh, and drinketh My blood, dwelleth in Me, and I in him" (John 6, 51-56).

"I will build My Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" (Mt. 16,18)

What does this quote above mean.???
The Church of Christ is "the pillar and ground of the truth" (1 Tim. 3,15).

God Himself passed on to us to be exercised in our attitude to unrepentant sinners: "if he neglect to hear the Church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican" (Mt. 18,17).

Following Christ, His holy disciples, St. John the Theologian (2 John 1,10), and the holy Apostle Paul (2 Thes. 3,6)
also called the faithful to spiritual vigilance and strictness: In his epistle to Galatians Apostle Paul anathematizes any distorter of Christ's teaching: "If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let them be accursed" (Gal. 1, 9).

Are we judging others of their faith or are we condeming what is wrong to what Jesus Christ Himself said???
He spoke of Confession .. Jesus, giving His disciples the authority to forgive sin, said: "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained" (John 20:23; c.f. Matt. 16:19, 18:17-19).

"You did not choose Me", Jesus told the Twelve: "but I chose you and appointed [ordained] you." (John 15:16). To these same disciples Jesus promised: "It is not you who speak but the Holy Spirit" (Mark 13:11).

St. Paul wrote: "Let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup" (1 Cor. 11:28), and "If we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged" (1 Cor. 11:31).

Above are quotes from the Bible that the Church does have authority to hear of any concerns regarding the truth and to make it known to the fathers of the church....
When we confess the truth,we are holding onto what is sacred and passed down from the Apostels themselves....they did not stray from the truth that Jesus Christ taught..... St. Paul says: Therefore, bretheren, stand fast and hold the traditions, which ye have been taught, whether by word or epistle (II Thess. 2:15)

When we are outside the church we are in fact doing the opposite of what JesusChrist said...
That is why with true love and faith we can become all ....
the words of the Apostle: "I...beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, with all lowliness and meekness, with long-suffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all." (Eph. IV:6).

Yes Bigsage...many do judge and condemn ......we may find faults and condemn that which is a bad act or against what is the truth.... but not judge or condemn the person ....for if we do, we are not truly following the teachings and words of Christ....'''walk in the worldly vanity of their mind, having their understanding darkened,being alienated from the life of God'(Eph.4:18);they have their portion in this life(Ps 16:14);who mind earthly things, and whos end is destuction(phil.3:19)
The truth of God calls such people the faithless and perverse generation(Matt 17:17),and for that reason says to us :Save yourselves from this outward generation(Acts2:40)

Many NEW and MODERN ways of living a life in Christ has become the norm for many people and I myself would rather listen to what our early church fathers said and are saying ......that we should save ourselves from the outward generation...

My religion or religious preference has nothing to do with condemning or judging others ......We are all guilty of sin ......and do not have the authourity to judge others of theirs......
Priests are normal people with normal lives.....they too will be judged at judgement day.....to what they do with their lives and how they live them, is solely up to them..........
To argue against the authourity of the church is wrong because the Church was esatblished by Jesus Christ Himself.......what we do with our lives and how we live it, is up to us and our Free will .......
The church itself does not teach to condemn and judge people but people themselves do this .........I guess because we see others faults more easily then our own!
helen....
sorry for the long read.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigsage
does your religion/religious preference make you feel comfortable judging others and forsaking love for children of the fathers creation?...

On a general level, this is true. I've noticed that some of the more evangelical churches have this attitude (in spite of what they preach.)

On the other hand, I'd offer the gentle St. Francis as a wonderful counterexample.

Religions, like people, vary. I think the most ethical one in its appreciation of all life forms is the Buddhist path. I prefer the Modern Wiccan, however.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Never, i do not judge anyone i think its wrong and it's really no one's right to do so, that would just be smug and stuck up.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Even if I wasn't religious, I wouldn't judge. It's a personal thing; I've been judged too many times to count, yet I'd never do that.

And as for forsaking love... never. Is there a stronger bond then that?

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I don't get it.
In the first post he asks a question about judging and then in his reply he proceeds to judge.

So what if people don't have Christ in their hearts? Does that make them evil? Lots of major religions don't follow Christ.

Each to their own.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I judge. I judge repugnants...and they are all going to Hell.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
We are all HYPOCRITES.....whether you believe it or not.
Point the finger here or over there, at him, at her, but no not I, for I live with no guilt. We are all in the same knot soon to slip........

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:55 PM
link   
"Only god will judge me"

The problem is lots of people go by "do what as I say, not as I do"

Edit: BTW, I'm not religious.

[Edited on 7-11-2003 by m0rbid]

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Well, since I am not a xian, much of this arguement does not pertain to me.

However, as a religious person (wiccan), I would say my religion makes me comfortable enough to judge them, but why would I want to??

See, I am of the belief, even though I have a religion of my choosing, that THE religion you profess really means nothing. What means something is that you have chosen A path, or better, THE path that works for you. Religion is only important for personal and spiritual growth. But you can get that from any religion that suits YOU personally.

So for me to judge any other religion, I am really only judging myself. That judgement would be that, my religion is not helping me grow, and it may be time to choose a different religion that helps me grow.

Forunately for me, I have found one that has helped me grow, and I am continuing to grow.

Blessed Be

top topics

join