It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chavez: oil will hit $200 a barrel if U.S attacks Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
According to a report by reuters: Chavez tells the united states that oil will hit $200 a barrel if the united states attacks Iran.

Here is a snippet:

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Crude oil prices could surge to $200 a barrel if the United States invades Iran, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said on Wednesday."Imagine if the United States, your president, the devil, were to invade Iran or Venezuela. The price of petroleum could reach $200 with any conflict in addition to those already occurring," Chavez told an American reporter at the United Nations.

here is the link: Reuters article

Ok so, not that we didn't all know that this would probably happen, but i thought it was worthy to put out there since they are threatening such action. this also suggests that these two countries really think that it is a plausable course of action that the u.s will embark on an invasion.

interesting stuff...what do you all think about this?

Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I think he is blowing more smoke. This is the same guy that said he smelled sulfer. In know way shape or form do I believe that oil will goto 200 dollars, well at least in the next 10 years.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
ouch
smart move but it will hurt us
but i do believe hes making a point
hurt them where it hurts
we'll hurt you where it hurts

ouch i see myself paying a good 5 bucks a gallon soon
damn publishes clearng house check still hasn't come I coulda been the next winner
and used it all on gas

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I think Chavez is making himself a target. Right now bush has gun sights set on Iran....

but Chavez is far from any nations like (china and russia) that could offer it serious aid. I think he is playing with fire. I do not support any further military action at the moment. We dont need another war. We need to fix the mess in Iraq.

However, I feel one american citizens opinion against bushes wished for ME domination will carry little weight.

I dont like Chavez....and I dont like the idea of Iran being nuclear...but I like even less world-wide economic hardship for common people or seeing more kids my age die senselessly.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Yea, i think chavez would definatly hike up some oil prices, however, i think he is incredibly immature, and he probably didnt understand a dang thing that chomsky wrote about other than the part where he disagrees with certian u.s policies.

digitalgrl

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I don't think oil prices will make it to $200 a barrel any time soon. While the iranians do produce about 3.78 million barrels per day that's nothing compared to the really big oil producers russia and saudi arabia each producing about 9 million barrels a day. Besides i don't think us will go to war with iran anyway. You yanks have your hands full enough with the iraq debacle to have time to worry about any other nation states that are misbehaving.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Hey, here's a thought for you:

The rise in oil prices makes it affordable to sink new wells off the coast down here.

Maybe we've been raising said oil price already to get the US to only need what the US can supply, when we go int war with Iran. We intend not to need Iran.

That is a funny concept.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   
saudi oil, i think they are in on this iran deal also. i can see saudis on irans side. i dont like that picture at all either. saudi oil. i can see americans paying 5.89 a gallon of gas when this starts. chavez, what a joke. gas prices will go up, we start sanctions, iran will start cutting off the oil and causeing havoc in the gulf.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
President Bush should stop all CITGO stations from operating here in the US. Stop taking his oil.... Lets hurt him in his purse for a while maybe he will stop running his mouth. It time President Bush to step up for yourself.....

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:53 AM
link   
we need all the oil we can get. we consume way to much. unfortunately, if we did cut off some of our oil we got over there, gas will skyrocket here in the u.s.a., causeing everything else thats transported to raise in price also. we depend heavily on oil over there. we just caint shut it off, america will end up useing electric cars or corn oil, even this will not help the transportation of american goods. america will collapse cause of the prices of stuff will go up, then a revolution will occur in the u.s.a. we need to fix this issue. a power source strong enough for the american load, and cheap to use.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
I think Chavez is making himself a target. Right now bush has gun sights set on Iran....

Would be pretty suspicous if something would happen to Chavez...

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
but Chavez is far from any nations like (china and russia) that could offer it serious aid. I think he is playing with fire. I do not support any further military action at the moment.

Don't underestimate Venezuela's capabilities too fast. While their military might not form a threat to the US and they have the financial foundation to support Iran with, should it come to a war between the US and Iran.

Besides, there are plans to open Kalashnikov licensed factories in Venezuela and Colombia, mix that up with the growing discontent in many South American countries against the US, and you might in the long term have a block of countries that form a potential threat to the US.

Bear in mind that the US troops are widely spread out; Venezuela is not far from the home land, which in anyway would force the US to position more troops at home rather than stationing them in other countries.

No, I am suggesting Venezuela is planning a ground attack on the US.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
President Bush should stop all CITGO stations from operating here in the US. Stop taking his oil.... Lets hurt him in his purse for a while maybe he will stop running his mouth. It time President Bush to step up for yourself.....

We would not be hurting his purse at all. As a matter of fact Venezuela had to purchase lesser quality oil through Russia to meet her contract demands which meant they had to pay a higher price for oil outside of her borders to deliver contracted oil.They also went above and beyond their normal quota when they supplied poor americans with home heating oil at a lower rate. You would do nothing but drive the price of oil up here as well as take out a competitive company against the american ones leaving us open to price gouging by speculators as well as the oil companies themselves.

200.00 a barrel threat might entice Bush to attack since his buddies with reserves pumped out at 30 to-50 to-70 dollar range would rake in some hefty profits!

Pie

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Chavez is in a position to do something much worse to the US ecconomy...

He could dump the US dollar as their trade currency in oil. Further, he could influance OPEC to do the same. It's already being discussed.

If that were to happen, it would be a savage blow to the dollar. Without that oil backing, the astronomical national debt would crush the dollar under it's own wieght.

It's not suprising that Chavez isn't saying anything on that. Last time he did, the US attempted to orgistrate a coup against him. Still, the threat remains... even if he isn't giving voice to it.

new topics

top topics

join