It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Blast and you!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Ok, I have seen a couple of threads on here about nuclear blasts and such, and what the possible outcome is.
I am going to post a couple of links for you that should help explain it.

Ok, this first link will show you your state, and the targets that exist there. What I mean by that is, for example, if we were to go to war with russia, these are the targets that they would be aiming for.
This link also gives GREAT detail on fallout, how deep you need to be sheltered in the ground, etc. All kinds of good stuff. Have a read, VERY interesting.

www.unitedstatesaction.com...

The next link will allow you to choose your bomb, size, and zip code.
It will then show you the destruction radius of an attack in the zip code you choose. Very cool.

www.pbs.org...

If these have been posted already or talked about, my apologies, just thought I would give a little refresher course on nuclear blasts

Also, in the first link, check out the "sand blast" theory. Very cool. basically talks about why so many of our birds are located in one area, which prevents the enemy from attacking that one area specifically.

[edit on 21-9-2006 by lardo5150]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
My question is why don't they have plans for nuclear attacks, outside of clearing Urban areas of people?

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Thank you!

I'm am printing out the info now.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
LOL if you hear that a nuke is about to hit the United states forget about looking for shelter start praying.. masterbate for the last time... drink a beer. smoke a blunt LOL snort some coc aine ur gona die anywayz

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunkindonuts
LOL if you hear that a nuke is about to hit the United states forget about looking for shelter start praying.. masterbate for the last time... drink a beer. smoke a blunt LOL snort some coc aine ur gona die anywayz

That is pretty much the idea I am getting.
Unless you are buried in a mountain somewhere or in the northpole, you are screwed.
If the blast does not kill you, it will be the fallout, which can travel with the winds. That is scary.
What is even freakier is I am in STL, and there are TONS of targets in the state.
Man, no where to run

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
click............canada.........O.O||

and the web content went off topic.....

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I alreaky knew New Jersey would be damaged but DAMN! I guess there is really nowhere to run.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Ya, I think a lot of people when it comes to a nuclear attack are in denial, like, hiding inthe basement will be ok, etc.
Man, if one of these things landed on the west coast, the wind would carry the fallout across the states, that is crazy.
I wonder how many people actually got cancer due to the bomb tests back in the 50s.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
A single nuclear bomb is not going to kill the entire country.

Fallout is bad, but I think some people are exaggerating it's effects - if it was that bad you'd think we'd all already be dead from all the tests they conducted in the 1950's & 1960's.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Guys don't do this. You're painting a picture of hopelessness in the event of a nuclear attack. We've been over this time and again on ATS. The likelihood of an all-out mutual exchange between the nuclear arsenals of the former USSR and the US are remote to nil. The vast majority of nuclear warheads floating around the world's arsenals are under 200kt. The most likely scenario is between 1 and a handful of nukes going off and most likely at ground level. That is especially important. Blast radii are calculated based upon the optimum air-burst altitude for the size of the warhead. It is very highly unlikely that anyone attacking us with a nuke these days is going to be able to airburst one. More likely it will be trucked, shipping containered or the like --- hence ground burst.

Read this article on nuclear survivability. And for a balst damage map go here

Again, the PBS film assummed a 1mt weapon. Very unlikely in this day and age. And even the PBS site itself says that 75% of the population between roughly 5 and 8mi radius for a 1mt blast will survive. The equivalent radius for a 200kt blast would be between 3 and 4.5mi. And for my money, that is damned close to ahve a 75% chance of survival. The key is hunkering down for several days while the fallout decays.

Please don't paint pictures of hopelessness. It's misleading. Sure, any nuclear attack will kills lots of people and have a suckage factor off the charts. But the vast majority of people WILL survive if they know what to do and waste no time doing it.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The maps on top of this thread are obsolete. For example, many targets in Long Island, NY, have simply disappeared. Grumman has shifted its production elsewhere, and the radars on the eastern tip of the island are no longer operational. I don't see anything ultra strategic in Nassau county (which is all covered with yellow dots on the map).

I say it all comes form the height of Cold War and should be considered a relic.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I always thought the idea...with the scenerios posted..are that if you dont survive such a attack your problems are over. If you manage to survive the initial attack...now you really have problems..big problems!!

Im close to Norfolk, Virginia.

Yes..pretty much agree the maps and the discriptions are for cold war events.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
All this nuclear threat is making me wonder somethings.
Let's suppose that several nukes are detonated, the majority with large megatons of power (like 10~13 and so on), would everybody else in the world have to worry about their own safety?

Like, would that generate colateral effects poluting the water (oceans, etc) or generate "radiation clouds" or something?

I keep thinking about it because a great portion of the members of ATS are outside US, outside the "Danger Area" which Al-Qaeda aimed on.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunkindonuts

Well, I don't worry about a nuke hitting, or about dying cuz death comes natural. Besides, I will be in Russia, not US (well maybe if I'm visiting) but for instance, I guess I'd probably look for a bunker, not shelter. I wouldn't pray for my life-that's unmanly. I would bang a hot chick instead of masturbation. I don't drink so I won't drink. And I'll die drug and smoke free.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
M.A.D. (Mutually assured destruction) only works against countries with a large enough capacity to strike the U.S.

The theory is that they launch all of their weapons, and then we launch all of ours, and the resulting exchange destroys both opponents.

The problem in today's world is that M.A.D. is no longer a deterrent to rouge states, or operatives.

Terrorists groups could deliver a small weapon to a strategic area of the U.S. and causes major damage.

Their goal is to not kill everybody (though they would if they could), but rather to eliminate critical infrastructure, which may result in a collapse of our economy, and civil authority. Anarchy? Remember that we are an electronic society. It is hard for our citizens to subsist for over a week to maybe a month Look at the response to Katrina, and then extrapolate that to a nuclear detonation in a major urban area

You are more likely to be killed by a sponge than by a nuclear blast though. Unless you live in a hight value target area (New York, -- Financial , Washington---Political).

I would not worry about nuclear explosions.

Bio weapons are the major threat. (But that is for another thread.)

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by tunin
All this nuclear threat is making me wonder somethings.
Let's suppose that several nukes are detonated, the majority with large megatons of power (like 10~13 and so on), would everybody else in the world have to worry about their own safety?

Like, would that generate colateral effects poluting the water (oceans, etc) or generate "radiation clouds" or something?

I keep thinking about it because a great portion of the members of ATS are outside US, outside the "Danger Area" which Al-Qaeda aimed on.

As has been posted prior, there aren't alot of 'megaton-class' warheads around anymore. That was the trend in the early Cold War before the US and the USSR learned that the larger warheads were inefficient. They then moved to the MIRV design --- a single re-entry capsule that carried ten or more 250kt warheads that were each independently targetable. So unless we are subjected to an attack by large numbers of nukes you won't likely see any megaton-class explosions. The vast majority of warheads are in the sub 250kt range.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   

As has been posted prior, there aren't alot of 'megaton-class' warheads around anymore. That was the trend in the early Cold War before the US and the USSR learned that the larger warheads were inefficient. They then moved to the MIRV design --- a single re-entry capsule that carried ten or more 250kt warheads that were each independently targetable. So unless we are subjected to an attack by large numbers of nukes you won't likely see any megaton-class explosions. The vast majority of warheads are in the sub 250kt range.

OK, so it means that, besides the affected areas nothing will happen to the rest of the world, right?

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If the blast doesnt kill you, the fallout, the panicing mobs, and the paratrooping Russians will.

Also, the vast majority of ICBM launched nukes are not

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
There are 85 of these active at the moment with up to 20 megaton power

SS-18 Satan
R-36; NATO Reporting name: SS-18 Satan
Basic data
Function Intercontinental ballistic missile
Manufacturer Yuzhny Machine-Building Plant
Unit cost Unit unknown; Program R&D/Testing 8-10 Billion rubles
Entered service 1967
General characteristics
Engine liquid-propellant engine, two stages
Launch mass 210 t
Length 32.2 m
Diameter 3.05 m
Speed up to 7.9 km/s
Range 10,200-15,200km dependant upon model
Warhead Boosted Fission, up to 20mt
Guidance Inertial, autonomous
Fuzes Airburst
Launch platform Fixed Silo

And you can also check the new Topol-m or SS-27
Video of Topol-M

[edit on 25-9-2006 by Russian Boy]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm just curious, what man made bomb is capable of taking out all 3,000 miles plus of the contiguous U.S. with one strike?

I think some people on this thread are over exagerrating the effects of a nuclear device by ALOT.

My biggest worry with nuclear weapons won't be getting killed by them because from what I understand it's an instant death if you're caught in the blast radius, but the after effects of the EMP on entire power grids.

Shattered OUT...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join