It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would America ban personal firearms

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Your right, it is your country.
But I bet Iraq doesnt appreciate that little statement.

Being your country is the 'beacon of peace' the front runners for world unity.. I dont understand why you all need guns.

Although, there is one distinct advantage of americans owning guns.
There's so damn many of you, so damn patriotic at times its hard to distinguish which one is a complete and utter t0$$er, and which one is atleast level headed enough to have a civilised conversation with and gain a friend.

I should write to a backpackers book and give them an idea in distinguishing between decent worth american friends, or typical american t055ers

1. What would you do, if the government decided guns in the home wasnt such a good idea, and that the country should start heading for a gunfree society

If your new found friend answers
A: Hell no, ill pull out my 9 and cap any MOFO that tries to take my 2nd ammendmant right.

The its obvious the sorta american he is

If he answers
B: Maybe these murdering machines in the hands of any member of society isnt such a good idea.. and a gun free america might actually be safe

then you sorta realise he has BRAINS, and wants a PEACEFUL SOCIETY.

Im not bashing any of you.
Im giving you my personal opinion on people whom answer my theoretical question.

Im not bashing america its a beautiful prosperous country
Im bashing the total nutters whom regard not having a gun as the end of the world.

I never praised anyone... But your worldwide use of force is starting to shift the global consensus about your country. You mightnt care.. but i found in my journeys around the world lately that americans are the butt of all jokes, the target of all street harrasment and the grime on peoples shoes... soley because they believe guns, bombs and force is the answer to everything.

I know im not going to change any of your minds..
Unforunately that wont happen until one of your guns accidently discharges in your childs face when he finds it.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Unfricken believeable that american citizens are willing to revolt and cause internal civil war if the government decided to change its laws and ban households from having murderous weapons, in the form of guns.

[edit on 21-9-2006 by Agit8dChop]

Let me make this clear, i would certainly attempt to stop and then remove any law that bans guns peacefully before i resorted to violence. There would be mass demonstrations before any civil war in america violence is a last resort.

Also let me tell you there are proven statistics that states with harsh gun laws have more murders per person than states with relaxed gun laws. Why you ask? probably because if i was gonna break into someones house to steal and hurt someone, i'm prolly gonna choose the house that i know won't have a gun. Not that guns solve problems but they aren't as bad as you make them out to be, the evil you mention is completely human borne. In fact it saddens me to see you blame an object for all of the worlds problems when it is clearly not the case.

Want proof? Say hello to my little

Friend. The NCPA.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Well personally I don't see it happening.

Political support for personal ownership of firearms is very strongly ingrained in our culture, and not just on the right.

I doubt anyone who's read my posts would consider me a right-winger, but I am as strong a Second Amendment supporter as you will find.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Wow, 30years ago gun laws werent effective.

thats a great reason to abandon the idea.

And your right its humans that pull the trigger.. but imagine not having a trigger to pull in the begining?

And If someone broke into my house, and I had a gun. Of course I would retrieve it then go out to investigate.

So now this robber who cared nothing more than stealing a radio for cash, is faced with someone pointing a gun at him, and the natural reaciton would be to defend himsefl using his gun.

There's alot more chance of BULLETS flying when the house hold owner emerges toward the robber with a pistol.

Maybe we will have to agree to disagree, because I really dont care to become personal and start abusing people on something that is so trivial intodays world.

I just find it sickening, that guns can do so much damage, that force has caused so much misery world wide yet people still firmly beleive that owning a gun makes them safer.

If you want to play with guns, go join the army.
Dont bring them into a society where one day I might be walking around..
because there's no need for a firearm, when your walking your dog, walking to the stand to buy a paper, having a coffee or going to church.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Your right, it is your country.
But I bet Iraq doesnt appreciate that little statement.

No our government isn't perfect, but what governement is? It is a fact that the reason we want to own guns is because we don't trust governments in general. Its just a little something we picked up by thousands of years of tyranny in europe, we then came here and decided we'd try something a little different.

then you sorta realise he has BRAINS, and wants a PEACEFUL SOCIETY.

Im not bashing any of you.
Im giving you my personal opinion on people whom answer my theoretical question.

Im not bashing america its a beautiful prosperous country
Im bashing the total nutters whom regard not having a gun as the end of the world.

Well i guess your bashing me then whom believe that it's not the end of the world but the beginning of the end of atleast this country and our way of life. Which i guess to me atleast would be the end of the world. hmm a conundrum.

I know im not going to change any of your minds..
Unforunately that wont happen until one of your guns accidently discharges in your childs face when he finds it.

No, but i respect your right to speak your mind as long as you respect mine as well. Oh and many gun owners who have children have locks or safes. Well, i don't but i never keep ammunition in the house because my guns aren't for immediate personal protection.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Granted.
We shall agree to disagree!

...... but for the record im right and your wrong!

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

When people cheer and praise there system which allows them to buy automatic rifles simply for display, and recreational use, it shows the insanity and stupidity of mankind in its fight for survival.

I still cringe when I think about the american who debated taking a GUN To church is AOK simply because the law allows me to do it.

We are humans before we are citizens,
and owning a machine that can murder and maime INNOCENT people in truley tragic and unforseen circumstances is a haneous crime against humanity.

Then don't be a hyprocrite, sell your car, and any knives you may have in your kitchen. All rope like products you own should be disposed of as well. Compare auto related deaths in the U.S. to firearm related deaths in the U.S. for one year. Then you'll be saying evil Ford and GM are merchants of death!!!!

My 5 AK's, 3 M-14's, FN FAL, 2 HK G3s, 2 M-1 Garands, M-1 Carbine, and Handfuls of Mausers and other 'bolt guns', Assortment of various pistols, and shotguns, PROTECT THAT OPINION and your right to be ignorant and niave. You can thank me, and the rest of us later when you live to a ripe old age, in a non-facist U.S.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   

And your right its humans that pull the trigger.. but imagine not having a trigger to pull in the begining?

Man is a pretty effective killer with or without guns, we've been doing it long before the gun was invented, believe me if i thought getting rid of guns would end all violence and make this world into a utopia i'd be on your side.

And If someone broke into my house, and I had a gun. Of course I would retrieve it then go out to investigate.

So now this robber who cared nothing more than stealing a radio for cash, is faced with someone pointing a gun at him, and the natural reaciton would be to defend himsefl using his gun.

There's alot more chance of BULLETS flying when the house hold owner emerges toward the robber with a pistol.

That's why if someone breaks into your house and is rummaging through your stuff you don't emerge, you just shoot them.

Maybe we will have to agree to disagree, because I really dont care to become personal and start abusing people on something that is so trivial intodays world.

I just find it sickening, that guns can do so much damage, that force has caused so much misery world wide yet people still firmly beleive that owning a gun makes them safer.

I don't believe that owning a gun makes me necessarily safer but i do believe that it is an important check and balance upon our government and does and will keep a dictator at bay.

Oh and i can see how passionate you are about the subject and i respect that even if we view the world differently so i don't take it personally and i don't see the arguement as trivial.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by WithoutEqual

My 5 AK's, 3 M-14's, FN FAL, 2 HK G3s, 2 M-1 Garands, M-1 Carbine, and Handfuls of Mausers and other 'bolt guns', Assortment of various pistols, and shotguns,

Will you be my best friend?

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Honestly, I just like them as cool precision machinery - I'm a geek. I like them for the same reason I like cars, motorcycles, airplanes, etc...

I don't feel a strong pressing need for them as a means of personal defense - I live in a relatively safe area. Neither do I think that if it comes down to civil conflict they will be any real use - I don't expect they will help much if the US Army comes gunning for me

But I don't see why the fact that some might misuse a particular object, it ought to be banned. Knives, cars, airplanes, shovels, etc... all can and have been used to murder people. That doesn't mean everyone with a knife, car, airplane or shovel is out to slaughter people.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by WithoutEqual

We are humans before we are citizens,
and owning a machine that can murder and maime INNOCENT people in truley tragic and unforseen circumstances is a haneous crime against humanity.

Then don't be a hyprocrite, sell your car, and any knives you may have in your kitchen. All rope like products you own should be disposed of as well. Compare auto related deaths in the U.S. to firearm related deaths in the U.S. for one year. Then you'll be saying evil Ford and GM are merchants of death!!!!
~~~~~~~~
You can thank me, and the rest of us later when you live to a ripe old age, in a non-facist U.S.

A. I dont want to live in the US, not for any particular reason but id much rather live my days out in other countries.
B. Im glad u feel the need for having all those murderous machines. Does it compensate for a lack of something else?
C. Im not being a hypocrit. Im saying guns, bullets, triggers rah rah rah arent something that should be freely allowed in a civilised world. The Pen if mightier than the sword. The car wasnt PRODUCED soley as a killing device, infact nothing u say is primarily a killing device. So try a little harder next time in using examples.

And what do you think an ARMY is for? you think when war breaks out all these masses of citizens are going to be racing across the ocean with there assortment of guns? No, the military/army will.
The guys whom have been TRAINED, and recruited for the job would ideally be the ones worht THANKING.

But, I will thank you when you accidently discharge your gun, either killing maiming yourself or your family because maybe.. just maybe.. that will convince a handful of people to make there home ' gun free '

Just a pitty it took such a hard lesson for you to realise, that owning a gun, doesnt make you the big kid on the block.

Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 21-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Here's a question I never see answered by those who propose the "guns are only for killing people" argument - if guns are designed for the sole purpose of killing people, why are such a tiny fraction of them ever used for that purpose? After all, if even one out of a hundred guns sold in the US were ever used to harm a human being, the murder rate would be astronomically higher than it is.

As anyone who actually owns firearms knows, guns are mainly devices designed to put small holes in pieces of paper at long ranges

[edit on 9/21/06 by xmotex]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Unfricken believeable that american citizens are willing to revolt and cause internal civil war if the government decided to change its laws and ban households from having murderous weapons, in the form of guns.

BUT Lord behold if this same government changes its laws so it can spy on its citizens, invade and occupy other countries and allow some ruthless acts of terror to occur.. we jee's thats not worthy of a revolt.. we'll just argue over that one.

Where are your priorities americans?

Obviously, you'd rather have a gun in your hands than a peace dove flying over head, so its no wonder the rest of the world wants to kill you.
What positive effect are you having on the human race?

[edit on 21-9-2006 by Agit8dChop]

I believe the majority of Americans who are against guns being outlawed are the same ones who are against US laws allowing to do wiretaps and the such on it's citizens without any court oversight.

I do not own a gun ... but have entertained the idea. I would purchase a gun knowing the benefits and dangerous having one in the household presents. I don't need an assault rifle to stop an intruder ... but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to own a handgun to protect myself if needed. There are many believable scenarios where the police may be unable to respond in time ... or you may be unable to call them in time.

Are you aware that as far as guns preventing a danger to children ... homes with swimming pools are 100 times more likely to kill a child than homes with a handgun. No one seems to get upset over parents having a pool installed.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackJuice

That's why if someone breaks into your house and is rummaging through your stuff you don't emerge, you just shoot them.

I don't believe that owning a gun makes me necessarily safer but i do believe that it is an important check and balance upon our government and does and will keep a dictator at bay.

scenario:
you and a friend go out drinking, stumble home , u collapse on your bed in a drunken state, he collapses on the couch in the same sate.

after hours of passout/sleep you hear noises... in a daze you wake up, immediaetly grabbing a gun and assuming the worst. you see a shadowy figure walk pas your door way and BANG...

i nthe 10 seconds that have passed youve though so much abotu that noise, and that shadow, in your now half drunken, sleepy state you realise that your friend whom doestn usually stay over... was on your couch when u fell asleep.

Your now going to be done for manslaughter, imagine if u had a bat...? and simply took out his legs.. or his shoulder.

There are means for defense that dont nessecarily mean a bullet.

America wont ever come into the situation where a government is taken over by a dictator.. We have to much of a security aparatus in place, to much of a national RESERVE in place.. and our allies from around the wrold would assist.

Having guns as reason to keep the govenrment honest isnt a reason, its an excuse.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Here's a question I never see answered by those who propose the "guns are only for killing people" argument - if guns are designed for the sole purpose of killing people, why are such a tiny fraction of them ever used for that purpose? After all, if even one out of a hundred guns sold in the US were ever used to harm a human being, the murder rate would be astronomically higher than it is.

As anyone who actually owns firearms knows, guns are mainly devices designed to put small holes in pieces of paper at long ranges

So why not join a club, use there guns.. and enjoy them as leasure..
instead of stocking an arsenal at home.. carrying it around with you when you go to church?

Im not saying owning a gun means a death somewhere along the lines..
Im saying it creates much more ability for innocents in the immediate area to be at substantial risk.

Cars and so forth granted, are the same.

But guns were created simply as a killing tool.
If you can use them in a safe, secure enviroment where they are properly supervised GREAT.
When you stock them at home, and walk around the streets with them concealed...it does nothing but put everyone around in danger.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   

scenario:
you and a friend go out drinking, stumble home , u collapse on your bed in a drunken state, he collapses on the couch in the same sate.

after hours of passout/sleep you hear noises... in a daze you wake up, immediaetly grabbing a gun and assuming the worst. you see a shadowy figure walk pas your door way and BANG...

i nthe 10 seconds that have passed youve though so much abotu that noise, and that shadow, in your now half drunken, sleepy state you realise that your friend whom doestn usually stay over... was on your couch when u fell asleep.

I've never drank so much i've forgotten anything and i never drink with a loaded gun nearby, and again i personally don't keep ammo in the house. However your scenario is flawed because if i was drunk enough to shoot someone forgetting about my friend then i'm probably too drunk to wake up by a little noise.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   

A. I dont want to live in the US, not for any particular reason but id much rather live my days out in other countries.

If you're in the UK you won't have much of a choice, unless of course if you're muslim.

B. Im glad u feel the need for having all those murderous machines. Does it compensate for a lack of something else?

How old are you? Why anti-gunners go this route I'll never understand. So if a guy likes old Migs, and buys an old MiG does he have a small member? After reading this it occured to me you're not worth replying to, but since I've already started I might as well finish. What physical part of your body do you Brits lack that let us kick your ass not once, but twice. As a brit I can see you're opposition to firearms. War of 1812, Battle for New Orleans, where CIVLIANS along side the Army, kicked limey ass so bad, you left and haven't come back, unless we give you permission of course. It must suck to watch a former colony of yours still standing on it's own after 200 years.

C. Im not being a hypocrit. Im saying guns, bullets, triggers rah rah rah arent something that should be freely allowed in a civilised world. The Pen if mightier than the sword. The car wasnt PRODUCED soley as a killing device, infact nothing u say is primarily a killing device. So try a little harder next time in using examples.

So because it's origional intention wasn't for killing, it's OK? I would say it makes it even worse, I mean, you invent the car, for transporation, not killing, yet it on average kills more, than a tool invented for killing. Your logic is comedic. Mankind shouldn't be allowed in a civilised world since WE are the root of evil, and immature humans place blame on inanimate objects. Considering, I could kill you just as easilly with bare hands, as a rifle, and I'm not talking about kiddie karate crap either, I don't see how a rifle is any deadlier than a human mind.

If I wanted to kill a person, I mean really really want to kill a person, do you really think a law could stop me, or anyone else? Do you really think not having access to a weapon that fires a projectile would stop me? I

And what do you think an ARMY is for? you think when war breaks out all these masses of citizens are going to be racing across the ocean with there assortment of guns? No, the military/army will.
The guys whom have been TRAINED, and recruited for the job would ideally be the ones worht THANKING.

First of all, I was at one time in the ARMY. Secondly, their training sucks, it's all hype, and you'd realize that if you starting looking into military history, and training. I feel more comfortable next to a civiallian at a range, then I ever have during my time in the army.

But, I will thank you when you accidently discharge your gun, either killing maiming yourself or your family because maybe.. just maybe.. that will convince a handful of people to make there home ' gun free '

You're a really sick prick you know it little wanker? I will thank you when you're ignorance, gets your family beheaded at the hands of muslims invading the UK, because maybe, just maybe that will convince a handful of people to make their country jhiadist free. Instead of bitching at me, why don't you go complain to the muslims protesting and calling for the murder of the pope in your OWN COUNTRY, before you start calling us blood thirsty.

Just a pitty it took such a hard lesson for you to realise, that owning a gun, doesnt make you the big kid on the block.

Never said it did, it just means I OWN a firearm LIKE I OWN A LAWNMOWER and HEDGE TRIMMERS. You're not even worth my time troll, cause you're just going to hide behind personal attacks, and the same rhetoric that we've heard 1000 times before.

And before you wuss out and hit the complain button, when you mentioned an accidental dischange and my family anyone with half a brain could tell you'd take pleasure if such an incident occured. THAT OPENED YOU UP FOR MY RUDE REPLY.

As far as the poor language goes, I've see it fly in many other threads, and I've always hesitated, but this guy deserved it.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   

So why not join a club, use there guns.. and enjoy them as leasure..

Err, that's exactly what most people do

They just bring their own guns to the club.

instead of stocking an arsenal at home.. carrying it around with you when you go to church?

What constitutes an arsenal?
And I don't know anyone who brings a gun to church.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackJuice

scenario:

Your now going to be done for manslaughter, imagine if u had a bat...? and simply took out his legs.. or his shoulder.

There are means for defense that dont nessecarily mean a bullet.

America wont ever come into the situation where a government is taken over by a dictator.. We have to much of a security aparatus in place, to much of a national RESERVE in place.. and our allies from around the wrold would assist.

Having guns as reason to keep the govenrment honest isnt a reason, its an excuse.

You realize this is merely an unlikely scenario created to exagerate the danger of guns(intellectually dishonest). I could just as easily say:

what if a burgular breaks into your house and you say take whatever you want then the burgular just shoots you. If you would have had a gun you could have defended yourself.

Is that likely?
No.

The reason to have your citizens armed is a protection from tyranous government. If our government decided to take away our guns that would indicate they were trying to possess unlimited power. As long as we have guns we can fight an unjust government; if they are taken away we are powerless. Who would fight our government if not the citizens?

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Or, I swing for the cheap seats and pudding his head. Not a gun doesn't mean nonlethal.

If you're all for saving human life, cement every pool in your neighborhood, sell your car, junk your kitchen knives.

Your reasoning is flawed at best, your scenarios laughable, naivity so thick I could cut it with a knife. You don't like guns, don't buy them. Leave the rest of us the hell alone.

DE

EDIT: WithoutEqual, if I had a way above left, I'd give it you mate. I support your states, and the bastard had it coming.

[edit on 21-9-2006 by DeusEx]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join