It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cold Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Ok, I can't be the only one seriously suffering with a cold this week. Any good advice for when everything else doesn't work?

I've had: Lemsips, Menthol vapour in hot water, paracetemol, cough medicine, brandy (much). Nothing works for more than an hour, my head feels like a bowling ball and my nose is about ready to climb off my face and jump out the window.

I just want to feel again

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I know you said cold medicine, but I am not sure what kind. I always take Nyquil for just about anything, even hangovers and it works miracles. Of course your mileage may vary. Some people can't tolerate its effects too well because they say it makes them drowsy, but it doesn't me. If this is the case, then it is good for when you are wanting to go to sleep.

Of course watch your doseage if you consider large amounts of Tylenol bad for your liver, because that is the main pain killer in it. The old versions in the US had Pseudoephedrine in it, but now that is terrible for us because they say people make methamphetamine from it and we cannot sell it anymore here. The Dextromethorphan in it is the main thing that will take away your ails for feeling bad when you are sick or hung over. It is why people get high on cough syrup in the first place, but taking a larger dose than listed of this ingredient of itself will not kill you and make you feel better. The Antihistamine in Nyquil is the most intolerable and is why people cannot take too much of it, because it will make you vomit, Doxylamine succinate. There are others that do the same job, but one or two doses of Nyquil always does me the trick, but be warned I am not a doctor - just telling you my experiences.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I haven't seen any of those concoctions in my pharmacy, I'm going to have to try and figure out their British counterparts. I've been taking Covonia Codeine & Linctus, which is good for stopping the cough for an hour but no good for the actual cold. I don't think there's really a lot you can do apart from ride it out :shk:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 03:38 AM
link   
True. You can't kill a cold, but you can hide its symptoms.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Hi Chebob/

Ok, I can't be the only one seriously suffering with a cold this week. Any good advice for when everything else doesn't work?

Try one raw onion cut into pieces.....boil in water(just to cover onion),say, around 5 minutes till softened,turn off heat,add pure honey(cold extracted,if possible)and leave overnight ......take throughout the day.

Or lemon juice from real lemons and honey....
Or crush garlic and add ginger........
Sage leaves(a tea that can be bought with stems)boiled and left to cool.......depending on the strength, you can either drink this, or gargle for a sore throat.....has antibacterial properties.

Or you can sweat a cold out.......boil pure spirits,add the same or less amount of water, and add sugar to taste(be careful it don't catch on fire)
Go straight to bed after this........
Good luck with your cold......
helen

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Thanks Helen, I'll try one of those (probably the last one) tonight

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Hi Chebob, here's my remedy for whenever I get cold/flu...go on a curry binge, the hotter the better, something like a Vindaloo or Phal. You'll keep your strength up as well as sweat the fever outta you and unblock your nose.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Hey chebob/

Thanks Helen, I'll try one of those (probably the last one) tonight

You're welcome!
Hope it all works out for you, or should I say, ''sweat's it out of you''!

helen

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Hey dude,
There is an over the counter drug called Airborne. You dissolve it in a glass of water, and slug it down. It is the best product I've ever tried. It really does work.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Whenever I get a cold I wear some warm p.j's to bed and sweat it out, works every time.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I always take 50 mg of zinc at the first sign of a cold and drink plenty of fluids like orange juice for the vitamim C.
Take the zinc for the course of the cold and you'll be amazed at how quick it clears up.

Get your butt between the sheets and try to sleep as much as possible, though when your up try to get out for a short brisk walk. Don't over do it, but a bit of exercise and fresh air will brighten your day and help your body heal.
Even if you don't feel like it, try to eat. Your fighting an infection and need the nutrition.

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I've slept a lot, I've eat a lot, and I've had a fair bit of brandy, and apart from a blocked nose the cold is more or less gone
. Took two weeks but I avoided Paracetomol and Antibiotics, which was a plus

Winters coming though, so I'll be bookmarking this thread for future reference, thanks for the advice

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Try some soup....it's not the miracle cure, but damn it's good

And Sudafed...

top topics

join