It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Aims To Move the Earth!!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
My point is that a NASA scientist should be given a little more credit than is being given here.

Credits to the men with the concept of moving Earth in space, when after 34 years, they still have trouble getting a shuttle back to Earth without blowing up.

Uh-huh.

Misfit

[edit on 24/9/06 by Misfit]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
lol what are they gonna move it with two huge hands? lol just all bs. bs. bs!!!!! BS!!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It was only a theory about something that could hypothetically be done to save the Earth. The fact that so many of you take this so seriously while at the same time attacking NASA for some of their mishaps speaks volumes for your own boundless stupidity. Such a plan wouldn't need to be put into effect for millions if not billions of years. By the time it would even be considered do-able I'm sure we'll already have other places we can retreat to.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Langolier
speaks volumes for your own boundless stupidity.

Now there's a novel idea to make new friends and continue disussion ......... attempt juvenile criticism.

Misfit

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
For a little bit of background information on what I believe the scientists were thinking about I'll mention it here since so many seem slightly confused. I don't remember the exact time but somewhere in the next one billion to 5 billion years, our sun will expand from it's current position and become much bigger. The distance from the Earth to the Sun will shrink. Eventually the Sun will engulf the Earth because our Sun will be getting bigger as it becomes a Red Giant star. Long before this happens maybe just one billion years from now, the Earth will experience some major warming. Eventually the oceans will boil away. I'd say that's pretty hot.

What these scientists have proposed is an idea that might in theory be developed sometime before it's needed in the next one billion years.

I believe most people have not had any formal training in Astronomy and probably do not realize what this idea was all about. Stars have cycles they go through. Our star will boil our oceans away as it gets bigger in the next billion years or so unless someone moves our planet a bit farther away. That is if anyone is still here to care about this matter in 1,000,000,000 years.

I forgot to mention, in the search for planets outside our solar system, this idea about moving planets could be used to account for planets that seem to be in strange orbits. It's just an idea. Perhaps in a million years, it will seem like no big deal to move a planet. If we find one in deep space, it might indicate advanced life. I'm not sure how scientists could prove an advanced civilization moved a planet though.

[edit on 24-9-2006 by orionthehunter]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I don't remember the exact time but somewhere in the next one billion to 5 billion years, our sun will expand from it's current position and become much bigger. The distance from the Earth to the Sun will shrink. Eventually the Sun will engulf the Earth because our Sun will be getting bigger as it becomes a Red Giant star.

The Sun will expand into a Red Giant when the fusion process in the central core changes from "hydrogen to helium" to "helium to carbon/oxygen". That will occur in around 5 billion years (based on current estimates). It is quite true that this expansion will cause the distance between Earth and the Sun's surface to shrink.

However, you are forgetting one thing.

The Sun is losing mass as it burns.

The result of this is that Earth will slowly recede from the Sun over the next 5 billion years. By the time that the Sun expands into a Red Giant, it is quite possible that Earth will have moved sufficiently far away to survive being engulfed (although Mercury and Venus may not be so lucky).

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
That is if anyone is still here to care about this matter in 1,000,000,000 years.

I forgot to mention, in the search for planets outside our solar system, this idea about moving planets could be used to account for planets that seem to be in strange orbits. It's just an idea. Perhaps in a million years, it will seem like no big deal to move a planet. If we find one in deep space, it might indicate advanced life. I'm not sure how scientists could prove an advanced civilization moved a planet though.

I'm with you Orion. In a few million years our technology would have advanced sufficiently to be able to move a planet, though it seems pretty outlandish at the present juncture!

So, probably our moon could have been moved at some time in antiquity by some advanved civilizations too?? Could it have been a spaceship? No one knows how the moon got here, right? It's all conjecture.

So, yes. Moving the Earth is very much possible, but way in the future.

Till then I'll make do with a couple o' beers!

And Mogget has brought out a good point:

The Sun is losing mass as it burns.
The result of this is that Earth will slowly recede from the Sun over the next 5 billion years. By the time that the Sun expands into a Red Giant, it is quite possible that Earth will have moved sufficiently far away to survive being engulfed.

So why are we wracking our flimsy brains on how to move the Earth?

[edit on 25-9-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
yeh bit extreme. wait till we got bigger brains to work it out! besides the fact that when they're directing the comet, say something goes wrong? Armageddon for us! seems a bit extreme for me. everything down to tides will change, because if the comet can affect Earth, it sure as hell can affec the moon! Oh, and waht effect will it have on the Sun itself?

The Solar System is in a delicate gravitational balance of planets and the sun. moving our planet may move the sun out of sync, then we'll have a domino effect resulting in most planets. i know that the earth would not have a massive effect on the sun, but believe me, it does have one! i hope the brains behind this outfit have thought this through properly!

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kiliker30
................*silence*
i sure hope this is some kind of joke....for one if we move further away..dont you think that would not only CHANGE the surface of the earth...drasticaly..but hmm i bet they brought that into concept didnt they..we will be colder..much colder..like it isnt cold enough here in the winter time..geez...and yea what abotu the moon? nice...and what about the ecosystems and i dont think we could evolve fast enough to adapt to the new coldness on our planet.....and the idea of comets moving our orbit......
i can just see a bunch of things that could go wrong....i will name just two to be short..1: and the most obvious..they miss and comit crashes to earth..BOOM we done for....2: we succeed but the moon doesnt go with us...and eventually...crashes to earth....oh i could go on and on lol what kinda scientist would think of such a thing? i dont like to ramble but this is just plain nonsense.
:.Kiliker.:

now we know how the ice age started...some ancient civilization thought they were clever and destroyed 1 of the 2 moons...

scientist...leave the planets and moons alone...

thanks, move on

Peace

dAlen

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I'm not working for nasa but I have a more simple solution to global warming

Just put a "shield satellite" with the same size of the moon and the possibility to control the light that comes from the sun...

(Sun)-------------------------------------¦(shield)-------->(Earth)

More easy that wait for the next comet to hit us

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
What will happen if global warming turns out to be a natural fluctuation in the Earths temperature. Moving the Earth further away from the sun would only completely mess up the planet!

Credits to the men with the concept of moving Earth in space, when after 34 years, they still have trouble getting a shuttle back to Earth without blowing up.

Is that a joke? When the Shuttles were made, NASA knew they were going to loose on every 70 or so launches. Infact, NASA bate that, with over 150 missions and only two accidents.

The replacement to the shuttle is coming soon too.

[edit on 10-3-2007 by PisTonZOR]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'm kind of concerned that there exists an ability for any group of men to direct a comet to Earth...

Lets imagine. The US Government (and many others) build hundreds of underground bunkers with supplies etc (Mt. Weather) and then get their NASA pawns to sling a comet right for Earth. The masses are wiped out, and the only humans left are the super-elite that used our taxes to build their own bunkers.

Seems like an interesting scenario...

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Why doesn't someone say these people are retards because they are, I should get paid to do their ape-brained jobs.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
So first the American scientists want to block the sun.... and now they wan't to move the Earth......................................

I want to slap them.

Cane Toad anyone? Theyre everywhere now lemme have a look...

Did you not see the articles where American scientists wanted to fill the atmosphere with reflective particles to reduce incoming sunlight by 1%?

It seems as though SOME scientists refuse to accept the fact that some things just aren't meant to be altered.

Have a look at bio-control mechanism success with introduced species. Failed on all counts. The proposition of moving our planet or changing our atmosphere more than we already have is absurd and increadibly scary. The point is, when you try to control the biosphere, there are so many factors that it is virtually impossible to predict what will really happen. Effects cascade, and then you end up regretting it. Not worth the risk IMO, even if we have to endure an ice age or (if technology at the time permits) leave the planet.

I would bet large sums of money that the scientists researching these 'fantastic new ideas' are not well versed in relevant biological sciences but rather the realm of physics.

I understand that it isn't going to happen now or in the near future but such ideas should really be shut down before they get a chance to get to people like..... yeah. I think you know what I mean.

The fact that it would take millions of years for this to really become a problem just proves how much of a waste of money such studies are for your space agency. Considering the last 200 years, do you really think we'll be around in a million? Even if we do succeed in leaving the planet and colonising certain areas of space, I think that Earth would be nothing but a distant concept in some electronic history guide. People probably wouldn't even think it was real considering all the senseless crap that goes on around the planet.

[edit on 20-3-2007 by seenitall]

[edit on 20-3-2007 by seenitall]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Relax people...

It was my understanding that they were doing research on how to move the orbit of a celestial body (such as a near-earth asteroid) and realized that their research could be applied to the Earth, too. Not that they actauly would do this...they just said it's possible. Don't you think that kind of research on possible ways to move celestial bodies is important? I for one am glad that NASA researchers are able to think "outside the box".

And to those of you who think they want to be able to move the Earth to avoid the sun becoming a supergiant in 5,000,000 years. You seem to forget that modern humans have only been around 100,000 years. In 5,000,000 years whatever intelligent species that would be occupying our planet will not be human, and they would have absolutely no memory of us or our civilization.

[edit on 24-3-2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Yeah great - the Earth moving all the time.

I want to seem em STOP it. Seriously, I getting dizzy!

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Yeah great - the Earth moving all the time.

I want to see em STOP it. Seriously, I getting dizzy!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join