It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally an Anti-Drug commercial that doesn't lie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Check it out. This should be far more effective then lying to scare our kids straight.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Whats wrong with siting on Pete's couch for 11 hrs?

I dont have an issue with it.....

And no I dont do drugs...

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What's wrong? Well if you do it like once a week on Sunday getting rid of the hangover from Satuday then nothing, but I knew quite a few potheads that do nothing all day, almost everyday, except sit on the couch(or computer), toke and play videogames(or watch TV/Movies) all day, every day for years(even going so far as to drop out of school so they could smoke more weed).

My point is, you're likely to disuade people from abusing a substance by tell them the truth versus lying through their teeth trying to scare the crap out of people(like telling them Buying Weed funds Terrorists)

[edit on 20-9-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Its their life not yours.

are they affecting you by smoking weed and playing video games?
Are they going to go out and kill someone in a car for smoking to much.

Chances are no. I don't see an issue with it, if they wanna ruin their lives like that fine. As long as it isn't effecting you then don't worry about it.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I agree, it is their life. I also wouldn't mind it that much if it was legal as well.

But, putting myself in the shoes of a parent, I wouldn't want my kids to overindulge(note I also didn't say experiment) in any kind narcotic substance(Including Alcohol). Thinking back to my own youth, and all the lies and half-truths associated with the Drug-war, if they had just told the truth they may have steered away some from dependancy before it was too late(Psychologically Dependant, Weed isn't physically addictive, I know so from personal experience).

Watch the Southpark episode "My Future Self and I", it makes a great point of generally not lying to our children. Which was my entire point in the first place.

Notice how I never said, nor did the commercial say that you would kill anyone or take heroin as a result of toking, infact it said the opposite and just stated the plain truth. It can make you Apathetic.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Yes, they are. It's called welfare. They are sapping money away from people who really need it and who are truly in a tough situation, rather than just being drugged out idiots.

Mariella

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Heh, good luck trying to Eat, pay rent, and be High all the time on 400 bucks a month
Rent for a bachelor apt in Ontario in the crappy hoods cost around 320 a month.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
So do you think there are tons of people who don't smoke weed and sit on their couch all day? Of course there are, many more. I knew people when I was younger who smoked and they wouldn't have been caught dead smokingI do think telling the truth is good but I don't realy see how this "truth" is any better than the other ones. the truth we should give out more is this "everything in moderation". Now hand me that big mac.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Mariella, are you trying to say that if it weren't for the drugs, we wouldn't have welfare leeches?

That's ludicrous...

I'm sure the drugs aren't helping, but they're certainly not the root cause. Human nature is the root cause. Unlike money, stupid people do grow on trees, or so it seems.

Attacking the drugs is just another way of removing responsibility from the people.

Almost invariably, the biggest proponents of strict drug laws are people who have had a family member crash and burn while addicted to one substance or another. These folks will do anything to pretend it's not the fault of their loved one, up to and including ruining the lives of millions of other people.

Way to go.

If individuals want to live in a monitored padded room until they die, eating with corked sporks, and doped to the gills with legal substances, I could care less, but when they foist that reality onto people who are willing and able to take responsibility for their own lives, it makes me very angry.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Some seem to be missing the point of this PSA. :shk:

At any rate, to make sure this thread stays on topic and that everyone is clear on the T&C.

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of any illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia, hacking, etc. are strictly forbidden.

In other words we can't talk about personal drug use.

Just a standard "drug thread" reminder. Everyone is doing good so far. Please carry on with discussion of the topic.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
My biggest beef with drugs, and "The War on Drugs" is those substances which ARE legal. There are things we KNOW are poisonous to our bodies, but which are readily taxed by the government, such as alcohol and tobacco. Marijuana remains illegal only because the FDA states that it "has no known medical benefit." I'm not necassarily advocating drug use, but I despise this sort of imbalance and hypocrisy.

The following are statistics on the Annual Causes of Death in the US.

Tobacco - 435,000
Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity - 365,000
Alcohol - 85,000
Microbial Agents - 75,000
Toxic Agents - 55,000
Motor Vehicle Crashes 26,347
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs - 32,000
Suicide - 30,622
Incidents Involving Firearms - 29,000
Homicide - 20,308
Sexual Behaviors - 20,000
All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect - 17,000
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin - 7,600
Marijuana - 0

I listed sources below, just for anyone who wanted to check these facts.

Source: Mokdad, Ali H., PhD, James S. Marks, MD, MPH, Donna F. Stroup, PhD, MSc, Julie L. Gerberding, MD, MPH, "Actual Causes of Death in the United States, 2000," Journal of the American Medical Association, March 10, 2004, Vol. 291, No. 10, pp. 1238, 1241.
Source: Lazarou, J, Pomeranz, BH, Corey, PN, "Incidence of adverse drug reactions in hospitalized patients: a meta-analysis of prospective studies," Journal of the American Medical Association (Chicago, IL: American Medical Association, 1998), 1998;279:1200-1205, also letters column, "Adverse Drug Reactions in Hospitalized Patients," JAMA (Chicago, IL: AMA, 1998), Nov. 25, 1998, Vol. 280, No. 20,
Source: Arias, Elizabeth, Ph.D.; Robert N. Anderson, Ph.D.; Hsiang-Ching Kung, Ph.D.; Sherry L. Murphy, B.S.; Kenneth D. Kochanek, M.A.; Division of Vital Statistics, "Deaths: Final Data for 2001," National Vital Statistics Reports, Vol. 50, No. 3 (Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, Sept. 18, 2003), Table C, p. 8
Source: Robyn Tamblyn, PhD; Laeora Berkson, MD, MHPE, FRCPC; W. Dale Jauphinee, MD, FRCPC; David Gayton, MD, PhD, FRCPC; Roland Grad, MD, MSc; Allen Huang, MD, FRCPC; Lisa Isaac, PhD; Peter McLeod, MD, FRCPC; and Linda Snell, MD, MHPE, FRCPC, "Unnecessary Prescribing of NSAIDs and the Management of NSAID-Related Gastropathy in Medical Practice," Annals of Internal Medicine (Washington, DC: American College of Physicians, 1997), September 15, 1997, 127:429-438

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsl4doc

Yes, they are. It's called welfare. They are sapping money away from people who really need it and who are truly in a tough situation, rather than just being drugged out idiots.

Mariella

...but this is the old "fleas hear through their legs" arguement
Claiming benefir + using drugs does not mean if u take away one u take away the other. Benefits culture and drugs culture often cross over into the same demographic, but thats about as far as it goes really. Illegalising something like weed and having strong punishments for being caught in possesion has had neglible effect over here in the UK. A large proportion of young people have done/currently take drugs, and I think its safe to say that there's a definite correlation between likleyhood of drug abuse and the quality of the persons background/upbringing. i don';t mean this in a condescending way, I'm just stating the truth that drug culture is more prominent in, say, the poorer areas of (insert town/city here). This is just an unfortunate fact of life

Does this mean that if we take away drugs their quality of life will improve? Not really (as well as this being an impossibility), if anything I'd say the opposite was more truthful. Drug abuse is largley a circumstantial thing IMO. Obviously there's exceptions, but on the whole I'd say that was fairly accurate. U put people in cheap housing, with poor standards of education and virtually no prospects together ur gonna get drug problems... not that such problems are isolated to these areas, mind.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
What of the countless celebrities caught with drugs, who are among the very wealthy members of society? The only difference between social classes, when concerning drugs, is usually the fact that wealthy people, who choose to do them, can more easily afford them without being exposed to the harsher side of the drug trade.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
I knew quite a few potheads that do nothing all day, almost everyday, except sit on the couch(or computer), toke and play videogames(or watch TV/Movies) all day, every day for years...

(snickers)

Yeah, man. That was pretty much the two years previous to meeting my wife. So what? If you're single, have no kids, pay your own bills, and otherwise have no responsibilities, what's wrong with a little tasty-plant and gaming with friends in the privacy of your own home? Should I have spent my time drinking in bars instead?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Finally One that tell's the truth,
I dont know how many people live in canada,
Or hey i might just be my town,
But alot of people smoke weed,It's not like it's crack
It's not like your gonna overdose,
And yea alot of people do just sit around and smoke weed all day but some people,
Blaze and go to work, or blaze when they get home from work,
It's proven smoking Cannabis is more healthy for you then drinking,
And your motor skills arent struck when your "high"
Coming from personal expierance, Cannabis should be legal,
And People should just deal with it,
Some people sit around and smoke ciggerette's all day,
So what's wrong with someone who enjoy's getting stoned.

new topics

top topics

join