It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hugo Chavez speaking at the UN Against American Imperialism and Bush the Devil

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hugo acts like he is better than every other nation and he is some sort of hero. I am suprised he was able to fit into the U.N. doors with such a big ego. Well at least Our country's poverty level isn't at 85%. And if he has so much oil and he is rich enough to buy arms from Russia shouldn't he be able to feed his freaking people.

[edit on 22-9-2006 by spinstopshere]

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinstopshere
Well at least Our country's poverty level isn't at 85%. And if he has so much oil and he is rich enough to buy arms from Russia shouldn't he be able to feed his freaking people.

PLEASE post a link to support this absurd statement, if you can.
You obviously know only what is fed to you thru propaganda. Do some research man! LEARN about the things you spout off on - to not do so only damages your credibility. Talk to someone from Venezuela and learn their take on the situation. I swear the most ignorant posts on this thread are obviously fuled from false propaganda. Anyone who can do the slightest bit of research could figure that out. It is as if people googled Chavez and find the first bit of negative info they can find, then turn around and post it as if it is fact and that they knew it as fact. Pathetic.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Actually the CIA fact book says the current level of people living below the poverty line is 47%.

Though much like america what is considered the poverty line and what you actually need to get by are two different things.

I think Propaganda is coming from both sides though Chavez's version is much more colorful.

Spiderj

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj
Actually the CIA fact book says the current level of people living below the poverty line is 47%.

Though much like america what is considered the poverty line and what you actually need to get by are two different things.

I think Propaganda is coming from both sides though Chavez's version is much more colorful.

Spiderj

Agreed on the point of the poverty line. One thing that Chavez does however is reinvest the contries oil profits back into social services. From everyone that I have talked to that have either been to Venezuela or visited there, it is far better under Chavez. Not everyone likes Chavez, however majority of the population favors him. As you said, even here the numbers are skewed. Here in the US, according to the Department of Homland Security Census buearu, if you are a family of 8, you have to make less than 33k annually to be considered below the poverty line. How the hell can 8 people live off of 33 thousand or less?!?!? What if you make 35k per year, technically you wouldn't be "in poverty" by our standards and wouldn't count in the overall percentage - this paints a very misleading picture when our annual reports show the US at 12.5% poverty.

I wonder what the poverty criteria is in Venezuela... One would have to factor in average wages for the country, percentage of wealty vs. non wealty, cost of living, and what actual dollar amount they consider the poverty level. If they set their average standard of living higher that it was several years ago and aim high, they will have a higher "poverty" rate. All it takes is moving the dollar amount in which you consider above or below poverty. With a simple adjustment, you can tell two very different stories. I laugh when I read about this here. In 2005, if you made more that 6.50 per hour and were a family of three, you weren't eligible for the Oregon Health plan. Now I dont know how 6.50 per hour could support one person on their own, let alone 3. When you factor in things like health care, education costs (supplies and such), clothes, unexpected bills.........let alone your regular rent and bills, I cannot possibly see how our standards hold up to reality here in the US. I guess it is a matter of perspective. The people who "set" those limits here are no way included in the statistic.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Nice points.

Keeping on the subject of what is poverty and what is considered a decent living wage I know people sometimes hate it when posters use television shows as examples but Morgan Sperlock last season on his show 30 days did an episode where he an his wife (or fiance cant remember) lived for thirty days on minimum wage.

It wasn't pretty.

Spiderj

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros

Go Chavez! He's only speaking the truth and we need more good people like Chavez to take a stand.

Peace

Wow I would have loved to catch a peek at Boltons face (If he was even there) while this speech was taking place. Sounded like he recieved an overwhelming approval at the end with all the cheering and clapping.

Pie

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

Originally posted by Xeros

Go Chavez!

... Sounded like he recieved an overwhelming approval at the end with all the cheering and clapping.

Sounds like LOTS of people are sick and tired of getting bullied, and/or watching it happen.

No, Chavez is not perfect. But he is David to Bush's Goliath, and well worth cheering on.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Anyone who cheers for Hugo Chavez, who seeks to destroy America, is not the friend of America.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Anyone who cheers for Hugo Chavez, who seeks to destroy America, is not the friend of America.

Not true.

If Chavez is seeking to destroy anything, it's aggressive colonial foreign policy - not America herself.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinstopshere
Hugo acts like he is better than every other nation and he is some sort of hero. I am suprised he was able to fit into the U.N. doors with such a big ego.

Welcome to the way most of the world feels about Bush.

Well at least Our country's poverty level isn't at 85%. And if he has so much oil and he is rich enough to buy arms from Russia shouldn't he be able to feed his freaking people.

As has already been pointed out, that's complete BS.
Why are you attempting to spread ignorance?

Jee.

And so once again
Oh, America my friend
And so once again
You are fighting us all
And when we ask you why
You raise your sticks and cry and we fall
Oh, my friend
How did you come
To trade the fiddle for the drum

You say we have turned
Like the enemies you've earned
But we can remember
All the good things you are
And so we ask you please
Can we help you find the peace and the star
Oh my friend
We have all come
To fear the beating of your drum

Source

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I don't recal Chavez ever saying that he wanted to destroy America. He is against the administration and their wicked ways, but so am I. Am I against America because I don't want it run by traitors? Obviously not, it means that I am ultra pro America. If I hated America, I would be happy to see it being run the way it is.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Really. You seem to have it all figured out.

You want to please post a link supporting your claims of him wanting to destory America? I am an American, and I like Chavez. Am I an enemy too? Nice one line post, adding nothing to the discussion at hand. What reasons do you have not to like Chavez? Please provide proof with your claims.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros

Chavez ... is a guest of this country speaking as the representative of his people on the world stage of the United Nations.

The United Nations is NOT the USA; it is as you say, a world stage.

Chavez was NOT a guest of the USA; he was in the UN, which by defitintion, is NOT on US soil.

TheBandit

After all the things that have happend to South American countries in the 20th century in the name of big business and/or dictatorships I can hardly be surprised at Chavez's comments.

rasobasi

As for childish name calling, Bush is ahead of Chaves by miles. I believe Chaves has a serious point, and, with a little help from his friends, doesn't need to fear immediate military reprocussions, or coups staged by US opperatives.

The US is vying for global dominance, everyone can see it, and not too many people like it.

The USA has routinely pursued cruel colonization policies in Central and South America - mainly on behalf of international corporations.

Of course South Americans are PO'd.

Chavez is just voicing every decent person's displeasure with past policies.

Now, "the US is vying for global dominance, everyone can see it, and not too many people like it."

Consistent with this administrations standard strategies, critics are assassinating the messenger, and criticizing the medium of delivery - just to shift attention from the message.

Oh well, works on some.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Chavez is great, I admire him alot for the way he has spoken out strongly against Bush, he even called Bush a cowardly donkey (or mule). The CIA did organise a coup to overthrow him, so he has good reason to dislike the US gov

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join