It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spinach: Allah's poison?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
E. Coli...very much in the news lately due to contaminated spinach. but ask yourself: why so many states (21 last cnn report i heard), and why has it been shoved to the back burner while the number of those sickened keeps rising?

Because there's only around 140 cases of it nationwide. This isn't quite as grave as an outbreak of a million or more cases. Only one person has died.

anyone else think i'm on to something, or am i just delusional?

The outbreak was very clearly (from the start) something involving organically grown foods and was clearly related to an environmental contaminant. We've had e coli outbreaks before (most commonly in meat) and it's all due to slipshod processing.

ADDENDUM: E. coli dies very quickly when things get "too hot." Boiling spinach (you don't even have to boil it for very long) actually gets rid of it.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
The outbreak was very clearly (from the start) something involving organically grown foods and was clearly related to an environmental contaminant.

The organic part seems to still be under debate.

Source

Natural Selection has recalled 34 brands of fresh spinach products, distributed throughout the United States as well as to Canada and Mexico. The company said the manufacturing codes turned over to health officials from packages of spinach that had infected patients all were from non-organic spinach. The company packages both organic and conventionally grown spinach in separate areas at its San Juan Bautista, Calif., plant.

Although the FDA says nothing is in the clear.

FDA spokeswoman Susan Bro dismissed a claim by Natural Selection Foods LLC, the company linked to the outbreak, that its organic spinach products had been cleared of suspicion.

"The FDA has not cleared any products from the list and continues to recommend consumers avoid eating fresh spinach products," she said.

Personally, I'm not even touching lettuce at the moment.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Because there's only around 140 cases of it nationwide. This isn't quite as grave as an outbreak of a million or more cases. Only one person has died.

i didnt say that it was a grave situation byrd, i was simply saying that i think it could very well be a terrorist event. as i mentioned before, if youre having trouble hitting high profile targets, go for low profile with a large contamination area. it doesnt have to do alot of damage to cause terror in the hearts of americans.

of course, i could always be wrong.....it just struck me as odd to see this report from 2001 stating that this particular strain would be a perfect bio weapon, and very little mention of it in the media as the number of cases and infected regions grow larger.

<< 1   >>

join