It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Superman's costume, who made his costume in the story?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Was it Martha Kent? Or Clark himself that made the costume before putting it on the first time?

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The thing is with Superman (and all DC characters for that matter) is that they are constantly changing the continuity. In fact they are doing it again as we speak

"Golden Age" Superman made his own costume.
"Modern Age" Supes had his costume made by Martha Kent.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I recall there being and issue of, if martha made the outfit, then it can't be as strong as superman, and anytime he, say, dives into a volcano he should be coming up naked. And if it is super strong, how'd she cut and sew it? The "official" explanation that I recall is that superman projects a super force field a few centimeters from his body, and that protects the skin tight outfit (I suppose the cape would be another problem).

With superman making it, I can see that his heat vision could solder it together and he could tear it to cut it, or something.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Always an interesting question. As Umbrax points out, there have been numerous explanations for how Supe's costume came into being and why he doesn't face public nudity charges every time he flies through fire, or gets hit with a missile, or flies into space.

Originally, Clark made the costume himself, as Umbrax pointed out. The Superman mythos continuity was then altered to focus more on his upbringing on Earth. The origins of his costume shifted to being made by his mother, Martha. Clark used his heat vision to cut the thread and stitch it together.

This explanation can be seen in the recent Superman-Batman-Supergirl graphic novel collection, where Martha makes Kara Zor-El's costume with the help of Clark's heat vision. Here, like Clark, the costume was made from a blanket that was stowed away in the Kryptonian ship which brought the two to Earth. Clark's cape has, at times, been a remnant of the blanket he was swaddled in as a baby.

The other story I heard - and I cannot remember where I read it - was that Superman's costume was a kind of Kryptonian survival suit which Jor-El included in the ship with his son. This explains why the uniform remains undamaged by most conventional attacks.

Hope this helped. The Superman mythos changes so often. I yearn for the day when they return Supe's powers to the level they were in the Silver Age series. Sigh.

[edit on 19/9/06 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
And, being WAY too young to remember the said power level of Superman during ANY Age, might you please explain what that means?

As to Superman's suit, I always thought it had been included in the capsule he rode to Earth.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voidmaster
And, being WAY too young to remember the said power level of Superman during ANY Age, might you please explain what that means?

Sure can. Over the years, Superman's powers have changed significantly. When he first appeared in Action Comics #1, he was strong enough to lift a car over his head, but not much more than that. He couldn't fly, but could leap great distances (about an eight of a mile, if I recall). This version of Superman and his powers heralded the start of what came to be known as the Golden Age of comics.

Later, Superman's powers began to be altered as new writers developed the character further. During the later Silver Age, Superman's powers were at their peak. He was strong enough to move planets in their orbits with effortless ease. He was fast enough to travel faster than light and could even travel backwards in time. This coincided with the period known in comics as the Silver Age.

The problem was, with Superman's powers at this god-like level, it was increasingly difficult for the writers to devise challenging opponents for him. To counter this, Superman's powers were gradually lessened over the years, to their current form. Now, it is generally acknowledged that Superman is strong enough to lift planes and buildings, but maybe not planets. his speed has also been capped at the light-speed barrier. So, even though he's still the strongest character in the DC Universe, Supes no longer possesses the unbelievable power levels he used to 30 or 40 years ago.

[edit on 24/9/06 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
The thing is with Superman (and all DC characters for that matter) is that they are constantly changing the continuity. In fact they are doing it again as we speak

"Golden Age" Superman made his own costume.
"Modern Age" Supes had his costume made by Martha Kent.

I always thought his costume was basically modified from his Kryptonian clothes that were in the ship with him? I prefer that idea to be honest, that he's actually in his proper clothing when as Superman and not a 'costume'.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
supermans suit was originally his skin, that is why he is able to hide it in his suit while he is posing as clark kent, hes like an angel hiding his wings, if it was just a regular suit made on earth superman's cape woud be bunched up in his shirt and he'd look like he has a hunchback or something, and i remember in the movies when he jumped out a window or something his suit would magicly appear. in the original story he was also able to shrink his spine to look shorter when he posed as clark kent.

top topics

join