It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hearing Voices in Your Head is Now Normal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
the PTB are just lowering the bar, in saying that hearing 'voices' is pretty well universal...

of the many avenues and/or prospects out there--->>

one thing which may happen is that prescriptions (RXs) for this 'normal'
malady experienced by a large fraction of the population will sky-rocket!

look & see what pharmaceutical Corps. have a drug for 'hearing voices'
(just another ~follow the money~ exercise)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I read a couple of threads yesterday that were on this topic,

Also to me its unfortunately true that some who come to ATS may describe an hallucinatory auditory event, some dont and could be normal, some well something to do with the reason we are all here the unexplained strange, truth etc, well this research is interesting and some further since to I saw.

Tin foil hats/white coat's off to (all of) the Voices eh?

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I know crazy people who'd say that's crazy.

The only time auditory hallucinations have ever been "normal" for me is when I'm half-awake or extremely ill, otherwise I'd be pretty worried if I experienced them on a regular basis.

Weird.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by The Empty Skies

It is a bit must be said, However it's valid and the normal experience for some people with no pathology or illness etc.

It's not something many people talk about, but to some extenct WE all have voices in our head, some call it instincts, guides, channels, god, angels, whatever maybe not exact voices, but some peoples minds turn that "instinct" whatever into a heard internal thing.

Somebody else may have a conversation "talking to yourself" thinking something through almosy in heard words, who answers, who are we talking to? and why can only some people hear them.. lol joking last bit...

Fascinating,

Its all of the Normality, Madness, Esoteric, Enlightened, Chanelled ....

Kind Regards,

Elf
edit on 27-5-2011 by MischeviousElf because: readability

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

I understand what you're saying. When I think it is with a voice in my head and I often find myself having a conversation with myself, often when I'm trying to figure something out. When I'm writing as well I sometimes find myself getting into the mind-set of the character from whose perspective I'm writing, so I guess that could also count as "a voice in my head".

Now, that all seems completely normal to me, because I'm not physically hearing (or imagine I am hearing) these voices, but auditory hallucinations are different. It just seems to me that they've blurred the lines between simply "thinking" and "hallucinating".

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Empty Skies

Now, that all seems completely normal to me, because I'm not physically hearing (or imagine I am hearing) these voices, but auditory hallucinations are different. It just seems to me that they've blurred the lines between simply "thinking" and "hallucinating".

Exactly what I was trying to convey, we all have these "voices" though they come to us in differant ways.

I feel some of the "normal" voices with no pathology or illness, is just that as when I think of something that makes me happy, say a holiday My experience is that of the sun on my face, the smells the sounds, I dont see it in to visual a way.

My partner/freind looking forward may have the type of mind wiring set up, where they See a very detailed scene with them acting this out this holiday.

Both imagining the same thing but having very differant sensory and mental projections in that experience.

Some poeple it seesm who do hear these voices are just imho more "auditory" than visual or kinesthetic. Part of this research has been supported by representation systmes as found in NLP etc.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Sort of a quick conclusion there, where is the evidence? Show me some tests on the mental stability of these people who hear voices compared to the average joe, and then we will get somewhere. For example, personality disorders, number of delusions, drug abuse etc.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by rizla
I get voices in my head as I fall asleep. They come from behind and to the left of me. I never get them when I'm fully concious. If I did, I'd be gaga...

Yhea that's more or less the same as me, just as I fall asleep or just as I'm waking up, usually some voice calling my name, sometimes I recognise the voice other times not, and it is not all that regular - usually a tone of some urgency but nothing scary... One time there was a more complex string of words in a male voice that at the time amused me, but for the life of me I can't remember the details now.

I've read this before actually, doctors have actually made diagnoses off (sane) patients who timedly admitted they herd a voice saying something medical like that they didn't understand - it's prob a bit like a day dream from something they maybe saw on telly and the subconscious pushed it forward in the form of an invisible voice.... Doctors will of course be wary of putting this down officially, a bit like pilots not seeing all those UFO's lol.

Also just to add I have permanent 24/7 tinnitus, but I don't count that as auditory hallucination, just some symptom of an undiagnosed and (hopefully!) benign condition.
edit on 28/5/2011 by Now_Then because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The voices in my head are fun to hang out with and they all know me there...

No not really...just kidding...they don't really know me all that well!

I am going to have to agree with this:

Sort of a quick conclusion there, where is the evidence? Show me some tests on the mental stability of these people who hear voices compared to the average joe, and then we will get somewhere. For example, personality disorders, number of delusions, drug abuse etc.

I am a proof needing kind of guy, and without some science that is solid (like some double-blind tests for example, and maybe some participant observation studies) then it is seemingly a biased opinion. Hearing voices in no way seems normal to me, and although this evidence suggest's it is, I think it is going to have to have some peer review and be scrutinized a bit closer for my liking.

If hearing voices is normal then psychologist are going to have a slew of misdiagnosed patients and more importantly, society better get geared up for a bunch of nuts to be turned loose on the streets to play with all the freinds in their head.
edit on 28-5-2011 by jerryznv because: ...opps

edit on 28-5-2011 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Mmmmm?

The linked stories and opening OP does link to the SCIENTIFIC studies being carried out in this both in Holland and The UK and Sweden.

I always find Google scholar a good search tool to to find "proof" on things in science.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I hear voices as well, it happens when I am falling asleep. The subject matter is personal to me so I wont share the details, but it's usually real self defeating stuff. I'm not sure if the voices are because I'm depressed during those times or if I'm depressed because of what the voices are saying. Alot of interesting conversation about the voices being planted by the gov or supernatural causes. I don't have proof either way but I wouldn't discount either. Or I might just be crazy.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

Thanks for your perspective,

It seems there is a reason behind the voices being good or negative:

Psychologists have launched a study to find out why some people who hear voices in their head consider it a positive experience while others find it distressing.

The University of Manchester investigation - announced on World Hearing Voices Day (Thursday, 14th September) - comes after Dutch researchers found that many healthy members of the population there regularly hear voices.

Although hearing voices has traditionally been viewed as 'abnormal' and a symptom of mental illness, the Dutch findings suggest it is more widespread than previously thought, estimating that about 4% of the population hear voices. That would be equivalent to 100,000 people in Greater Manchester.

Researcher Aylish Campbell said: "We know that many members of the general population hear voices but have never felt the need to access mental health services; some experts even claim that more people hear voices and don't seek psychiatric help than those who do.

"In fact, many of those affected describe their voices as being a positive influence in their lives, comforting or inspiring them as they go about their daily business. We're now keen to investigate why some people respond in this way while others are distressed and seek outside help."
Medical News Today

So much most in life its the perspective we give it that may matter more than the actual experience.

Also some resources for your to explore and find common ground:

www.intervoiceonline.org... is not only the most extensive resource for people who hear voices that can be found on the web, but it also presents a very different way of thinking about the meaning of hearing voices.

Professor of Psychiatry, Marius Romme, the president of INTERVOICE, the organisation hosting the website said:

"We think our site is very distinctive from the way mental health and psychiatric sites usually provide information about hearing voices. For a start we do not automatically assume that hearing voices is in itself a problem. On this site we have not only provided information about ways of overcoming the difficulties faced by the estimated 4% of women, men and children who hear voices across the world, but have also provided information about the more positive aspects of the experience as well as the cultural, alternative and spiritual perspectives, recognising the historical significance of this important variation in human behaviour."

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I experience positive "inner dialog" like that mentioned in the article as well as intrusive and hostile voices.

The primary distinction between the two sets is one feels completely natural and has been with me since my childhood (the positive voices) - and the aggressively intrusive ones seem...."externally generated".

They'll probably never touch on why that is on any of these studies, just chalk it up to chemical imbalance or cognitive dissonance, but for this sufferer - these negative voices are most certainly not of my own design or volition....I can't think of a single thing that would cause some of these "conversations" to manifest in the manner, nature and tone that they do from a self generating standpoint.

Still, it's nice to see a positive spin on Inner Dialog in the media/medical journals.

( ...but too bad they haven't found the cause/cure for the actual illness side of this whole affair yet. :sigh: )

edit on 5/28/11 by GENERAL EYES because: mispelling

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Really? Anyone I have known that hears voices is drugged into a diabetic mess! IF you hear voices, you can be sure that heavy anti-psychotic medication is coming your way upon a doctor visit.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Yes...thank you for pointing that out...but as I said:

I think it is going to have to have some peer review and be scrutinized a bit closer for my liking.

I simply offer my opinion that these studies are going to have to have a little more peer review, and scrutiny for MY liking.

This foray into the uncanny is as close as most people come to experiencing auditory hallucinations or "hearing voices," a condition that affects 70% of patients with schizophrenia and 15% of patients with mood disorders such as mania or depression. For these individuals, instead of hearing just one's name, voices produce a stream of speech, often vulgar or derogatory ("You are a fat whore," "Go to hell") or a running commentary on one's most private thoughts.

www.healthyplace.com...
edit on 28-5-2011 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by bokinsmowl
possible psy-ops? i wonder if the powers that be have some mind control experiments in the works. could it be possible they're trying to condition everyone to keep their mouths shut about the impending voices?

me thinks you hit the nail on the head
star 4 u

the new tech allows them to pipe audio
directly into your brain. And they don't want
you freaking out while they test the system.
This audio feature enhancement will be part
of the NWO's Project Bluebeam. Or it may have
a new name by now.

Couple the visual holograms with the audio
in your head and millions will succumb to
it's intention.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The only case where hearing voices is considered 'normal' would be when you're half asleep and think you hear someone calling your name or something. I've had that happen a few times, but certainly not regularly and nothing beyond that.

If hearing voices is so common these days, then what has made it so apparently prevalent in otherwise mentally sound people?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Satan talks to everyone, God only to the faithful.

The crazies talk back.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I always thought everyone had the voice that was themselves, like when you're thinking to yourself and you hear a voice.

Also I read something somewhere about religion and God.

Something about man and how the first time that someone got into trouble or faced danger and the voice said "Damn... how do I get out of this" or " I should really move before that tree hits me" or whatever.... and how that probably freaked them out and they thought this was God speaking to them.

I can't remember where that is from but I always thought that was interesting.

I think the voice (that is just yourself/voice of your consciousness) is a lot more common than most people think.

I'd say it's higher than 25%.

If, however, we're talking about a voice that is instructing you to kill people or telling you that everyone is against you and all that..... then YES... then you have mental issues.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Where's the line between thinking conversations in your head and actually hearing things? I bet some people don't report this accurately.

I've never heard any voices myself, but I have a bad problem with having my own conversations in my head..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join