It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof of Ancient Giants?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
here is a book you probably find interesting (if you dont know this allready) :

Giants in the Middle East

and also this quote from ancient India:

"There were many ordinary soldiers, and also some that were as big as giants."

Prince Goodness

Currently i am reading the Mahabharata, which is very long btw, and the first few sections allready has lots of mentions of giants in them.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Every source of Giant Skeletons all have pictures of very likely photoshopped images, are there no real pictures of actual either very large or giant skeletons? So far there are only stories, or stories of stories, is there not one actual skeleton in existence ??
edit on 23-12-2011 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Sorry to barge in, but the square cube law makes giants of the proportions they're talking about impossible.

If there are such things as "giants", IMO they're referring to people who are much taller than normal but still within the genetic range of human height. Even now, a man over 6-6 or so is considered large; back then, that would have been gigantic, never mind someone who was 7 feet.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappyBunny
Sorry to barge in, but the square cube law makes giants of the proportions they're talking about impossible.

If there are such things as "giants", IMO they're referring to people who are much taller than normal but still within the genetic range of human height. Even now, a man over 6-6 or so is considered large; back then, that would have been gigantic, never mind someone who was 7 feet.

That is the problem; as people get bigger they put an enormous strain on the bone structure. You can see that limitation in sports; If you get any bigger than 8-9 feet you'll need another leg, hip and back structure to support that amount of weight - modern giants are often poor atheletes - with the odd exception

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

That is the problem; as people get bigger they put an enormous strain on the bone structure. You can see that limitation in sports; If you get any bigger than 8-9 feet you'll need another leg, hip and back structure to support that amount of weight - modern giants are often poor atheletes - with the odd exception

And they don't live a normal life expectancy, either. It also hits the circulatory system hard, too. Just the sheer volume of blood needed to oxygenate the whole body is enormous.

Robert Wadlow only lived to age 32. He was recorded as 8-11.1. John Rogan lived to be 37, but he couldn't even stand due to ankylosis and he weighed only 175 lbs. To put that in perspective, that's a BMI of 11.2. Women have it even worse. The tallest woman recorded died in 1982 at age 18.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

And they don't live a normal life expectancy, either. It also hits the circulatory system hard, too. Just the sheer volume of blood needed to oxygenate the whole body is enormous.

Robert Wadlow only lived to age 32. He was recorded as 8-11.1. John Rogan lived to be 37, but he couldn't even stand due to ankylosis and he weighed only 175 lbs. To put that in perspective, that's a BMI of 11.2. Women have it even worse. The tallest woman recorded died in 1982 at age 18.

Yep, off topic but I wonder what the life expectancy for basketball players is like? Usually tall but not massive. I saw an illustration in a 1950's science fiction story of what a REAL giant would look like; massive elephant style legs, hips and a barrel chest to provide oxgyen - small head and upper body

edit on 23/12/11 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Yep, off topic but I wonder what the life expectancy for basketball players is like? Usually tall but not massive. I saw an illustration in a 1950's science fiction story of what a REAL giant would look like; massive elephant style legs, hips and a barrel chest to provide oxgyen - small head and upper body

The life expectancy overall of world class athletes isn't good, but there could be a lot of reasons for that, including steroid use and just overall stress on the system. I think the average NFL player only lives to 52 or 53. For basketball players, though, they're not sure because a lot of them are still alive (the NBA hasn't been around that long compared to hockey, football, and baseball) , so they'd have the same life expectancy as anyone else on paper. But those aren't the really big guys from the last 20 years or so. Compared to them, guys like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson are puny.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

The life expectancy overall of world class athletes isn't good, but there could be a lot of reasons for that, including steroid use and just overall stress on the system. I think the average NFL player only lives to 52 or 53. For basketball players, though, they're not sure because a lot of them are still alive (the NBA hasn't been around that long compared to hockey, football, and baseball) , so they'd have the same life expectancy as anyone else on paper. But those aren't the really big guys from the last 20 years or so. Compared to them, guys like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson are puny.

We shall see, I found another comment on this question

Not so good. The average elite athlete will die by the age of 67. That is considerably lower then the 76 year life expectancy of the average American. Do you want to hear something that is really scary? According to the NFL Players Association, the average life expectancy of an NFL player is 58 years of age.

One would have to check that against people who do physically exhausting work - to see if they die earlier. Of course this is skewed by there not being women NFL players and women living longer

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

We shall see, I found another comment on this question

Not so good. The average elite athlete will die by the age of 67. That is considerably lower then the 76 year life expectancy of the average American. Do you want to hear something that is really scary? According to the NFL Players Association, the average life expectancy of an NFL player is 58 years of age.

One would have to check that against people who do physically exhausting work - to see if they die earlier. Of course this is skewed by there not being women NFL players and women living longer

Yeah, I just did a quick search and didn't really think about it too much. Some NFL players are so huge that their hearts give out, with or without steroids. And with the brain damage from all those hits, well, it's no wonder. Look at Muhammed Ali.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join