It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq vs Vietnam.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Could you tell me some similarities to both these conflicts? I think we are roughly losing 5 soldiers a day. How many did we lose a day in Nam roughly? I know its more but how many more? I know the freedom fighters in Iraq are sort of like the VietCong in tactics at any rate, and it seems the US are in the same boat as they were back in Nam in being not able to counter them effectively. What kind of things are the same to you in this current conflict and in Nam?

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cearbhall
Could you tell me some similarities to both these conflicts? I think we are roughly losing 5 soldiers a day.

5 a day? Where did you get that figure from?

lunaville.org...

There has to be a major upsurge in combat fatalities for the US to get anywhere close to the number of casualties that it sustained in Vietnam, even taking into account the length of that conflict.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Well thanks level for the summary page, good info indeed. Thanks for the update. I was just going of my head from all the stories of the soldiers getting killed over there. Thanks for curing my ignorance.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I think it's more Viet-Somalia.
Like your a soldier, patrolling a street in Baghdad, you're just walking by, people are walking up and down the street. Which ones are itchin' to put a bullet in you, who knows. You're just walking down the street, heavy gun fire comes right out of a building on the street.

It's not like a regular enemy, where you know their front lines are. There front lines are potentially everywhere.

In Vietnam it was very similar. The Vietcong wore the same clothes as civilians, they usually attacked at night, and they did it in a guerrilla warfare tactic.

Like the US is undoubtable the strongest military in the world, but that's only in a war fought the way they want to fight it.

The thing that's scary in Iraq is Saddam's army of children. 8000 strong. Who are they?

These are the things the news wouldn't be telling you about. The kind of soldiers you may be forced to fight.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Are they killing birds with their teeth?

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'm not sure what they're up to.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 09:05 AM
link   
They look like birds to me. Those images are very disturbing. In the second image, the boy looks so youthful. I couldn't imagine undergoing that type of training at such a young age.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 09:10 AM
link   
According to a graph on the site that I posted there have been 439 fatalities amongst coalition troops since day 1 of the conflict on 21 March 2003 up to and including today.
Bear in mind that this figure also includes accidents (which range from a drowning to heart attacks and road accidents).

The US has lost roughly 140 troops in combat since Bush made his "the main war is over" speech in May. This equates to just under 1 combat fatality a day.

Whatever the future holds, at present there is no comparison to Vietnam in casualty figures.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Iraq vs Vietnam.

I say the Vietnamese will kick the Iraqis ass
any day of the week

Iraqis are pussies

"I know the freedom fighters in Iraq are sort of like the VietCong "

Its obvious where your sympathy lies

Change your Avatar to a Bed Wetter Hiding in a Closet

And get out of the military

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Those kids were forced to join the army, forced by a bruta dictator.
Keep in mind that only a dew days before the war, thousands of Iraqis wen't to the street to support Saddam.

The day Baghdad fell, thousands were celebrating the fact that they were freed by the US.

Those kids my look devoted, but without a drill seargent, they're just kids.
I highly doubt these kids would attack an amarican convoy because they had a military training.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I read that we lost probably 50 soldiers per day in vietnam. I don't remember where i read that, it could have been in the history channel or a vietnam website.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Reports are saying that Troops will have to be in vietnam until 2005! I could easily see things escalating if the occupation lasts that long. Vietnam took a while to get heated up and this could turn into the same scenario.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 02:16 PM
link   
has anyone seen the list of men who were protesters against the Vietnam War who are now supporters for the war in Iraq? I saw it once but can't seem to find it. I think I saw it on the Drudge.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   
What I know is in Veitnam dead were counted by thousands and in Iraq they are counted be ones.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   

What I know is in Veitnam dead were counted by thousands and in Iraq they are counted be ones.

This is true Russian, but only right now. There is no telling what could happen over the next few years.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Man, I'm disappointed. I saw the title was Vietnam vs Iraq. I was going to bet 100 on Vietnam. Those little fellas would take Iraq in no time flat!

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The Viets were a far tougher crowd to deal with.
  • The main reason being that they had been at war for 20 years before the US went in.
  • They were also supplied heavily by the E.bloc from bullets to SAM's.
  • They were able to absorb far larger amounts of casualties than any Iraqi resistance would.

Vietnam vs Iraq is incomparable.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The vietnamese like most asian societies are very nationalistic. And the fact that they were controlled by foreign powers for a long while didn't help much. So naturally they can endure heavy casualties and still continue on their attacks.

I can't say the same for the iraqis.

[Edited on 7-11-2003 by gooking]

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 01:08 AM
link   
They invade a country, destroy any fabric of government and order they had, and have armed men patrolling the streets at night. What the heck did they expect, roses and kisses? Yah I would be a little pissed off if America came in to my country one day and frocked my life up, even if it was under a dictator (that coincidentally was placed in power by the American's in the first place). Its really no wonder the Iraqi's are itching to fight.

The american military is trained to fight large assault units, real military forces. They dont do very well fighting street to street trying to take out civilian's with guns. We like bombing stuff rather than fighting on our enemies turf.

The only real similarities though between the Vietcong and the Iraqi's or whoever the "Coalition" is fighting, is in their tactics. Otherwise the similarities end there pretty much. Even in Somalia it was different, fighting a military that is constantly high on drugs is not a smart idea (coke heads can take numerous hits before even flinching).

[Edited on 8-11-2003 by daeldren]

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by riseup
I think it's more Viet-Somalia.
Like your a soldier, patrolling a street in Baghdad, you're just walking by, people are walking up and down the street. Which ones are itchin' to put a bullet in you, who knows. You're just walking down the street, heavy gun fire comes right out of a building on the street.

It's not like a regular enemy, where you know their front lines are. There front lines are potentially everywhere.

In Vietnam it was very similar. The Vietcong wore the same clothes as civilians, they usually attacked at night, and they did it in a guerrilla warfare tactic.

Like the US is undoubtable the strongest military in the world, but that's only in a war fought the way they want to fight it.

The thing that's scary in Iraq is Saddam's army of children. 8000 strong. Who are they?

These are the things the news wouldn't be telling you about. The kind of soldiers you may be forced to fight.

Yep hes right about the Viet-Somalia bit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join