It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should religion be banned

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:56 AM
link   
With recent events aroud the world is it about time all religions were banned, they have been the excuse to wage wars, to devide, persecute and control people for the last 2k years so is it time to get rid of them.

From a very early age I was brought up in avery strict Catholic environment where my religion was the only true religion and the followers of other religion's were lower than the beasts of the field, thanks to having a brain and individual thought I dumped all that tripe decades ago. To me religion is for the weak minded and the easily led and for the powerful and corrupt to use it to that end.

Every war thats ever happened or about to the troops are told their god is with them and they are doings gods work, really I thought it was the word of politicians and the rich. So can we afford to continue with religion and should we. (To all religious fanatics the above are just my views and no offence is intended)

mod edit: all caps title

[edit on 19-9-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
I was brought up in avery strict Catholic environment where my religion was the only true religion and the followers of other religion's were lower than the beasts of the field,

That isn't true Catholicism. I feel bad for who ever taught you that. Althought they thought they were being 'good Catholics' the fact is that they didn't understand the faith at all.

Religion can't be banned. It's been with humans for as long as humans have been around. We see early versions of religion when 'cavemen' buried their dead along with things they used so they'd have them for the afterlife. Humans (in general) need to a have a higher power. Pscyhologically ... collectively humans need a higher power to worship or to explain things.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I think I should of said the way religion is used now, I know there must of been a time millenia ago there must have been a much purer form of religion like paganism but now it appears that the main stream religions have been corrupted and are used by radicals on all sides for their own purposes. I do believe that there must be something higher than us only if its a superior life form but the dogma we have today will rip our world apart as seen by recent and ongoing events.

CX

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Would'nt banning religion be the next step up for Big Brother, telling us we can and can't believe in?

I get yourpoint though, sometimes i feel it has done more harm than good in this world.

Calv.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
[1] Who would ban it?
[2] How would it be enforced?

Misfit

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I think the main problem now a days is that most of us are living in a multi-racial and multi-religious Country. So as soon as one religion wants something, the other religion disagree's and claims it's against their religion to do so. The same goes with Racism, if one race does something the other race calls out racism. How do we get over these hurdles?

The obvious answer is to ban religion. These religions are suppose to be about bringing peace. But from what I can see all they bring is death to hundereds and thousands of inocent people.

I think religion started off to be a good way of life and a great way to teach people how to treat others i.e. the ten comandments for example, so what happened to that?

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I could see banning orginized religion, such as churches, mosques, ect. People don't need to worship outside of thier own home really...Mass worship can lead to mob mentality, and thats about it. It's alot harder to be brainwashed if you study religion( or any philosophy) in the comforts of your home.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
It's not the religions that are the problem - it's the people, the culture.

Is it the religion that made someone to twist it? Or did the person just twist it anyways?

What is religion other than a set of beliefs? Really, if we banned religion, a new set of beliefs would take it's place, and the same people that twisted religion would twist those.

No, I'd strongly disagree with banning religion. Religion should become more decentralized, yes, because as it stands a numbers of church organizations are there only to make their religion money (the Roman Catholic Church is very bad for this - not on an individual church basis, but on a region and international basis).

Other religions still are really great, like Buddhism. Still largely untainted.

I'd go into greater length, but I gotta take off.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Yes, by all means, have it banned (or atleast completely seperated from any form of government).

There is no excuse for any political leader proclaiming that god gave him instructions to carry out this or that...

Seperate religion from the government and keep worship within the parameters of your private home.

It doesnt matter what religion was intended to do, lets take a look at WHAT IT DOES. People always give it the benefit of the doubt by saying 'Thats not what catholicism means, or thats not what islam means' WHO CARES WHAT IT MEANS? ISNT IT OBVIOUS THAT PEOPLE CANT LIVE TOGETHER WITH IT?

Once again, RELIGION SEPERATES CULTURES AND CIVILIZATION. Religion attacks the minds of children and installs itself as a permanent ideology for elitism against other faiths.

How good are the peaceful worshipers of religion when they decide that they must fight for the sake of a god they cannot prove exists. How many wars must people die in before they realize that the majority of these tragedies are faith based.

The governments of the world should be transformed into an Agnostic state that gives people the freedom to believe what they want, but revokes their freedom to preach in schools or churches. Noone should be told who or what god is from anyone else. Faith is an intimate affair that needs no publication.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarium
It's not the religions that are the problem - it's the people, the culture.

Is it the religion that made someone to twist it? Or did the person just twist it anyways?

What is religion other than a set of beliefs? Really, if we banned religion, a new set of beliefs would take it's place, and the same people that twisted religion would twist those.

I have to agree.

People use religion as a reason to go to war. Does God or a god come down to a religious leader (or prophet) and demand that a nation go to war with another nation? No. It's the selfish, personal agendas of individuals that lead to war. They need to convince the masses to go to war. These methods would include religion, money, communism (politics), "terrorism" (threats of personal safety) and others. There will still be wars, even if there was no religion(s).

Most gods and/or religions demand a love for all policy. This is twisted and skewed by leader's opinions and clever manners of persuasion.

Ban religion? There's so little hope left in the world, why take away the little people have to hold on to? What should they put their hopes in? GW Bush?

Good luck trying to take away people's faith!

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
We arent talking about taking away peoples faith. did you read anything I just wrote above you? Its about taking away the right to preach and practice in public. People should be able to keep their beliefs to themselves. Isnt that the whole point in the first place? FAITH FOR YOURSELF?

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nephyx
We arent talking about taking away peoples faith. did you read anything I just wrote above you?

Actually I was writing and posting my post more or less the same time you did yours.

Its about taking away the right to preach and practice in public. People should be able to keep their beliefs to themselves. Isnt that the whole point in the first place? FAITH FOR YOURSELF?

What does preaching in public have to do with war mongering? I do, however agree with you 100% on your point that politics and religion don't mix. No religious group should have enough control to be able to take a nation to war.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
With all insanity going on in this sick world I do some times wonder if it would be better to have no religen.

But then I think that even if there were no religen that people would still find plenty of ways to do there killing. Religen is just the exceuse they use now. In truth the people doing all this crazyness just embarras me.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
i alos think religion has done more harm than good. in my opinion religion seems to have come around because of the utter fear that mankind has of death so they look for some sort of comfort in thinking that they can go to a great place after life if they follow orders. but i do not think religion should be banned because although i do not believe in religion, there are many people who do and there are thousands of people who are being good people because they have this belief. if you took the belief away then there would be anarchy

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Its easy to say 'well if religion didnt exist we would still have wars'

Take a step back and realize what religion does. It creates cultural boundaries defined by which god is in power in which civilizations.

This constant competition between neighboring civilizations causes massive amounts of cultural tension and racism. Reduce the factors that seperate us and promote a unified humanity through agnostic politics.

Culture is okay, but culture seperated by different gods is not . Both civilizations feel that the opposition is being controled by satan. Its obvious to see how religion has manipulated people into acceptance of war and violence...' Its not bad if they worship satan' . If religion didnt exist people would take more responsibility for any human they do harm to.

Without religion there would be much less war and if there was, they would be fought for much more practical reasons (practical war is an oxymoron, i know). Seperating religion from politics in any nation would be a step in the right direction no matter how you cut it.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
i agree with nephyx. religion has now got to the stage where people of one religion like their own kind and not others.

when you put this into the context that christians are mainly in the west and muslims in the east, it means that both of these religions only like eachother but no longer does it just mean that. it means that there is a cultural gap of evil between the east and west.
i also think that it is to late to change peoples views.

it would would be impossible to convince all religious people that their beliefs arent real and also impossible for them to convince non religious people that what they belief is the truth.
therefore we are stuck in a ditch with no way out until some sort of proof comes along either way.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Its easy to say 'well if religion didnt exist we would still have wars'

Take a step back and realize what religion does. It creates cultural boundaries defined by which god is in power in which civilizations.

Nephyx,
What you are saying hear is basicaly true but I think there is a point hear that you did not menchen. Saying that god is in power in these countries is not compleatly correct. It is the spiritual leaders in theses countries who are in power. So who ever wants power in that country must seek it through the religen. Even in the few countries that have elections when the state is still run by religen the canadiats use there narrow minded view of religen to gain votes.

That being said those who are in power in countries that are dicted by religen may not give a hoot about any religen. Depending which side you want to take.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Without religion there would be much less war and if there was, they would be fought for much more practical reasons (practical war is an oxymoron, i know).

You make valid and indisputable points, but you can't say for sure that no religion means fewer wars. That is an unprovable statement. We can look at history. Yes, thousands of lives were lost during religious wars and "wars for religion". But if you take a look at Africa, while Europe was fighting the Christian fight, these people had absolutely no religion (although they have/had ancestral believes), yet they still had the same amount of wars as the guys in Europe. Only difference they were driven by greed, power and land. There will always be wars - the "driving force" will just differ. The Muslims are fighting a religious war, but are the West (Christians?) really fighting a religious war?

Religion has already been taken out of public eye and ear in the most of the USA. Did/does this stop the US from going to war?

Let's say "they" (who?) decide to ban religion, as Misfit asked, who will enforce it and to what point? Will we go back 2,000 years to Christian slaying by the Romans? And exactly how well does countries do that does enforce limited religious freedom, such as China?

If you want to get rid of all "evils" that leads to war, you'll have to remove everything from the monetary systems, ownership, power, et al. And you'll end up with communism. Banning basic human rights is definitely not the road to your answers; in fact you'll end up with more trouble than you could ever have dreamed of.

Religion may be the root of evil for some people, but it's a sign of hope and peace for others.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It is a human right to be able to worship who/what they wish to, thats why it wont and shouldnt get banned.

I dont think that without religion there would be less wars, if we didnt have religion there would always be something to start a war over.

Religion gives people hope, and something to worship and believe in. It helps some people deal with this world knowing theres a god, heaven and hell. It also teaches people to live life the right way i.e the ten commandments. I think that religion helps so many people around the world, it would be incredibly pig headed to take that away from them just because of the minority that use religion as an excuse to start wars and do other wrong things. One more thing is the point is most religions say that its against their religion to do what most of the minority proclaim is in the cause of their religion.

Just my thoughts

-wyatt43

[edit on 19/9/2006 by wyatt43]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

We arent talking about taking away peoples faith. did you read anything I just wrote above you? Its about taking away the right to preach and practice in public. People should be able to keep their beliefs to themselves. Isnt that the whole point in the first place? FAITH FOR YOURSELF?

Not really true. Yes people have there own faiths but why shoudl they keep quiet about them?

People's faith is what makes that person, the teachings from their religion have in a way changed that person into what he/she is today, therefore it cant be something that should be kept only for themselves.

As for preaching or practising in public, its a human right to worship/practise the religion of their choice and not be intimidated by people who think such rights shouldnt exsist. Preaching is tricky because people should be allowed to talk to other peopel about their religion, if you dont want to hear it, all you have to do is say nicely, im sorry but im an athiest, or whatever you are. It doesnt hurt to be nice.

-wyatt43

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join