It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden's centre right party comes to power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Sweden's centre-right leader Fredrik Reinfeldt has begun talks on forming a new government after his coalition narrowly won Sunday's elections.

The leader of the Moderate Party declared victory as near-complete results gave him a 1% lead.

Mr Reinfeldt, 41, has pledged to trim welfare spending and cut taxes.

His coalition's victory ended 12 years of Social Democrat rule. Prime Minister Goran Persson accepted defeat, saying his government would resign.

His centre-left party has led Sweden for all but 10 of the past 89 years.

news.bbc.co.uk...
It will be interesting to see how many terms the Moderate Party is in government.
It also interesting how the Moderate Party hasnt bothered to look around the world and see what parts of its reforms work and which parts dont.
Do any Europen members have any thoughts on the election ?

So why are the citizens of one of the world's best welfare societies so desperate for change? Because at least 6% of the workforce are unemployed - although the conservatives give a much higher figure - and are living off generous social benefits.

With many Swedes taking sick leave and enrolled in government-run training schemes, analysts are talking about the "working-free class".

Mr Reinfeldt is promising to reform the tax and benefits system so that taking a job will always be a better deal than receiving social benefits or government training.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by xpert11]Related

[edit on 19-9-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Welcome to the club, Swedes. A party more favorable to the NWO has been installed and I expect you guys will be sending troops soon to some far off land as 'UN PeaceKeepers' even though most Swedes just want to stay out of the morass of international politics. Should have never allowed Ford to buy Volvo. See what happens.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I just love the way these things get reported and then the comment detaches from reality.

A 1% lead is reported.

Then we're told Swedes are supposed to be "desperate" for change.

It would be funny if it wasn't so insulting.

It'll be interesting to see just how far they will try and go - or be allowed to go by the Swedish public - dismantling Sweden's outstanding social support network (along with many of the other excellent standards Sweden insists her industry adheres to in terms of consumer rights and quality and safety).

[edit on 19-9-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
As the comedian Robin Williams once said,'Reality, what a concept!'.

Seriously, do you not think or believe that professional political consultants weren't deployed to sway the voters of Sweden to the political right? Both Yeltsin and Putin used them on the sly in their election bids. Remember the news is what the corporations want you to see. TT is the largest news media source in Scandanavia. From what I understand it isn't a gov't agency, so it's a company or corporation tied in with the global news media conglomeration feeding the Swedish voters what it thinks is important.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
do you not think or believe that professional political consultants weren't deployed to sway the voters of Sweden to the political right?

- TBH I would be surprised if they were not.
It's the way they all do things these days and with global awareness so great they are all quick to pick up from each other the things they imagine work or might easily transfer across cultures.

I don't even mind more of what they call 'professionalism' or 'presentational management' - it's just that the opposition then have to up their standard to match and match to nullify the effect.

It's always been part of 'the game'.

Political parties will always look for ways to present themselves in the best and most favourable manner possible, but, if the national media are only fed one side of the story then it can get (or appear to get) very loaded and one-sided.

It used to be like that in the UK, then the opposition (the British Labour party were out of power for almost 19yrs) learned how to present themselves much much better than their opponents.
Now it is the British tory party that is in opposition for nearly 10yrs crying about it.

The wheel turns and nothing remains static for too long, it always does and anyone who imagines otherwise is just in denial.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Update.

Sweden's trade minister is to resign over allegations of tax evasion after just one week in office.

Maria Borelius has admitted hiring nannies without paying taxes and employers' fees.

Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt said in a radio interview that he and Ms Borelius had agreed she should resign.

Other government figures have also been under fire, including culture minister Cecilia Stego Chilos who has admitted failing to pay television licence fees.

link

New governments tend to have an honeymoon period of about six months before the first political firestorm erupts. In this case the honeymoon has been cut short. Its not a good start for the new government.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
Seriously, do you not think or believe that professional political consultants weren't deployed to sway the voters of Sweden to the political right?

actually, I think it has a lot less to do with that, than with the fact that Fredrik Reinfeldt is a)good at debating b)a big difference to the former prime minister Göran Persson, who had added no new ideas to the whole election campaign.

Göran Persson run the country for...I think, 10 years. so I think people were getting tired of him. I sure as hell was.

anyway, they won, and now a second minister has resigned. but I for one is almost happy that there was a change in the government. now, at least, people will learn not to ever make the same mistake again...and politict in Sweden has never been so exciting. the scandals never end....!!

top topics

join