It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the war on terror is legitimate and not a scam then why.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If the war on terror and i cannot emphases the word terror enough then how come the IRA has never once been roped into the fiasco are they not a terror organization or is it cause there not Muslim ?. Now if the UK is senserly concerned about terrorists why not go go after the IRA after all they have murdered over a 1000 people how many deaths can we attribute to say Muslim terrorist on UK soil ?.

For anyone who still believes in the war on terror im selling the Sydney harbor bridge on ebay if you would like to buy it

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Depends which IRA you are talking about. The Provisional IRA have been in negotiations for a few years now, culminating in:

On July 28, 2005, the Provisional IRA Army Council announced an end to its armed campaign, stating that it would work to achieve its aims using "purely political and democratic programmes through exclusively peaceful means" and that "IRA Volunteers must not engage in any other activities whatsoever".

This came about after a number of years of negotiations. Their weapon holdings were destroyed, and any that weren't accounted for were considered outside the PIRA's control due to splinter organisations.

In August 1994, the Provisional IRA declared an indefinite ceasefire. Although this ceasefire temporarily broke down in 1995-97, it essentially marked the end of the full scale PIRA campaign.

From December 1995 until July 1997, the Provisional IRA called off its 1994 ceasefire because of its dissatisfaction with the state of negotiations. They re-instated the ceasefire in July 1997, it has been in operation since then.[10]

The Provisional IRA decommissioned all of its arms between July and September 2005. The decommissioning of its weaponry was supervised by the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning (IICD). The conclusion of the IICD, (that all PIRA weaponry has been destroyed), was arrived at by their full involvement in the process of destroying the weapons and their comparison of weapons destroyed with the figures British security forces estimate the PIRA had.[

Wiki IRA entry

Now, splinter organisations, such as the Real IRA, do want to continue the armed conflict. These guys are listed on the US State Department watch list as a terrorist organisation.

Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs)

Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs) are foreign organizations that are designated by the Secretary of State in accordance with section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended. FTO designations play a critical role in our fight against terrorism and are an effective means of curtailing support for terrorist activities and pressuring groups to get out of the terrorism business.

From the list we see:

34. Real IRA

Source US Department of State Foreign Terrorist Organizations List

The reason we haven't heard much on the Real IRA front is because they have slowly been eroded as an effective organisation due to security penetration, and lack of local support. Other than some fire bombings, they haven't done much. And compared to the threat from Al Qaeda, they are pretty low on the priority list.

Since then it has become increasingly weaker. Infiltration has continued, and the movement has been unable to conduct a noticeable bomb attack. In the autumn of 2003, its imprisoned leaders called for an unconditional ceasefire, citing alleged misuse of funds and the lack of success with their resistance to the British presence in Ireland. The Provisional IRA has also been extremely hostile to the RIRA and has carried out beatings and at least one fatal shooting of a RIRA member in 2000. This may have discouraged other dissaffected republicans from joining the Real IRA.

Wiki Real IRA entry

So, in answer to your post, the PIRA has formally ended armed conflict, meaning it is no threat. And the Real IRA, which has threatened action, is listed as a terrorist organisation. But really isn't a high priority.

Good luck with the Harbour Bridge!

Edit - Somehow missed the Continuity IRA coming in at number 10 on the FTO list!

[edit on 18-9-2006 by Willard856]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
How's the bridge selling going?

No response at all to my post? I put a lot of effort into the research, I thought at least a "good points, but I disagree" might have been offered. Shame, I thought this would turn into an interesting discussion.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Lol Willard you gunned him down to hard for any response :p

For starters the UK has done alot to stop the IRA. In fact, I think they have done so to such an extent that the group is no longer a significant threat.

The IRA was dead and gone BEFORE the War on Terror started

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
another question.....

and well, I'm not from the UK, I'm in the US...so I don't know if you can observe the same thing happening there. but.... if we have all these terrorists all over the world trying to kill us, well, why does there seem to more people from all over the world being allowed to come into our country, many illegally....seems that one of the first responses would be to make some kind of attempt to keep them out to begin with. instead they seem to be setting up a police state of some kind, hoping to monitor all of us enough to catch those who actually have bad intentions....but, I don't see how thy could have any idea who is in the country....heck osama might be here for all they know, maybe he came through with some of his mexican buddies.

heck I bet the IRanian army could walk across the border and it would take days before they were challenged.

there is a threat, I won't deny that, but there's a difference between protecting us from that threat and using that threat to aid you in your own agenda....they seem to be doing the latter.

new topics

top topics

join