It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athiests and the Paranormal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
As I've said above, I believe that the real sightings are mere projections
of the subconcsious mind(s).

I'm confused. Whose subconscoius minds are ghosts projections of, the observers' or the deceased's. If you mean the observers', then they are not ghosts, but illusions or hallucinations.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The projection of the living individual.

A delusion would be if a single person is imagining seeing it.
What I mean is a holographicesque projection created by one
or more individuals minds.

But you're right, in the sense of it being a spirit, or a unique
entity unto itself, than my definition would'nt be a ghost.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades

PULVERIZER, I can assure you that atheism for me is the complete opposite of what you posted. For me it is a fact. I do not 'believe' in atheism because you cannot believe in a word. Atheism is a state of mind. I do not believe in a god, so I don't worry about anything I do adding to his 'naughty list'.

I respect your non-belief. The choice is your to make. Yet, it has now just occured to me, by reading your last post, that you're 'tagging' those who have beliefs in 'gods' as being in constant fear of "sin".
It seems to me what you're referring to is christianity and the dreaded 10 commandments. I can assure you that the direction this religion (christianity) has headed has no resemblence to what is the real and the true meaning of 'god'.
Anything decision taken based on FEAR..be it 'eternal damnation' or 'burning in a cauldron of fire' or what-ever other suffering the individual may receive is nonsence.
FEAR is what got us to this point in the world. FEAR is the bassis of most, if not ALL decisions made by governments. FEAR is the 'excuse' used for brutal tortures on other humans. FEAR IS CONTROLLING THE WORLD!
This FEAR has absolutely nothing to do with believing in a higher power. This FEAR that we always hear about is a 'folklore of the times'...the latest catch-phrase...if you prefer....CNN headline news....You're steadily being spoon-fed the latest thing or person or idea that you should FEAR....
And as for the 'naughty list', I can tell you this, and you'll remember this from your high school physics class; Energy never dies, it simply changes form. You 'run' on energy...the energy that makes your heart beat, makes you breath and walk and LIVE!
When your meat rots and you inevitably die, your energy goes to a collective 'lake' of an energy source...kinda like a magnet...you can't stop it. This will happen to you...without judgement...athiest or not. The goal in life, and i guess this be interpreted as the "meaning of life" if you will, is to contribute to the source. Enrich it with new energies, which I'm certain you are doing an excellent job in gaining new knowledge and enriching yourself and remaining 'centered'. Also experiencing new ideas is key. Many would rather not do this, resulting in the proverbial 'lake' of energy eventually being diluted with 'same old/same old'....and that my friend, IS the naughty list.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
PULVERlZER

Without intending to harm you, or even wish harm on you, I sincerly pray/hope/project on you some logical reasons for fear.

Not everything that's done out of fear is anywhere near illogical.
Out of a fear for the wellbeing of children, parents make decisions that dictiate ther child's life...and in most cases saves the kid from real harm.
The more rationalized they behave about their fears for their child's wellbeing, the better the parenting, in general terms.

A lot of that fear is called "a healthy respect for".

Emotional knee-jerk reaction level fear does have no positive place in religion or in the world at large. It makes sheeples of us all. I fully agree with that. But I don't want a fearless Evil-Caneivil in any leadership positions. Fearless is as bad as overreacting...it's jsut a ditch all the way across the other lane from where you're supposed to be driving.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlc163

Not everything that's done out of fear is anywhere near illogical.
Out of a fear for the wellbeing of children, parents make decisions that dictiate ther child's life...and in most cases saves the kid from real harm.
The more rationalized they behave about their fears for their child's wellbeing, the better the parenting, in general terms.

A lot of that fear is called "a healthy respect for".

I agree.
What you're refering to isn't a reaction based on FEAR, but simply common sence. Obviously, an individualy without a FEAR of heights will still suffer extreme injuries to himself if he jumps off a tall building. Running through a mine-field is also not recommended, regardless how fearless one is....swimming with sharks....naaa...bad idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join