It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexism, has you been a victim of it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Do you know what it means?

Sexism is commonly considered to be discrimination and/or hatred against people based on their sex rather than their individual merits.

1- The belief that one sex is superior or more valuable in society.

2- The attitude of misogyny (hatred of females) or misandry (hatred of males).

3- The attitude of imposing a limited notion of masculinity (gender) on males (sex) and a limited notion of femininity (gender) on females.

Do you think that society influences our young early in life to become sexiest.

Do we as parents play a role of already perpetuating differences between males and females when it comes on our children role playing or assigning role playing.

Are we at fault when we buy dolls for girls and cars for boys and forbid children to play with toys that are not considered for the right gender?

Are we promoting the faulty society of gender division unwillingly?

Has you been a victim of sexism?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Yes. Quite a lot of it, but it doesn't count when men are the target.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It funny cause I saw a great couple in a store I work in a while back and they had a little girl about I don't know 4-5 year old or in preschool. Any who there looking around and wanted to give her a tank it funny cause the girl was dress like a little girl be was play a tank.

So imagine a girl in a little pink dress in the middle of a dollar store going "kaboom" and make gun sound with a tank. It was adorable and like the fact the parent let be who she want to be and allowing that.

But if you saw how the other people look at the little girl and the parents it was sad and then the little girl notice and said to the mother "Why are they looking at us. Do they hate us?" and it broke my heart to hear. Than some woman had the balls to go up there a listen your girl need something like this (a doll or something girlie) and I went to this women a say leave them alone please.

This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread and I thought I share this story.

[edit on 18-9-2006 by El Che]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I was told I couldn’t do a job because I was a guy and a woman could do a neater job.

GradyPhilpott, why should your experience not count? You should speak up and tell us about it.
Women had to fight hard to try to get equal work and not get slapped on the asses while at work. Men have to stand up when victimized too.
If you believe there is a double standard in the world why not try to make a difference?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guy Fawkes
I was told I couldn’t do a job because I was a guy and a woman could do a neater job.

Was told the same exact thing......

but by the same token, I have also benefitted from it at times....I am not bragging and I am a pretty average guy, but I was given a job once because the manager was a woman and seemed to think I was.....*groans*.....cute....

[edit on 18-9-2006 by XphilesPhan]

[edit on 18-9-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

I am not bragging and I am a pretty average guy, but I was given a job once because the manager was a woman and seemed to think I was.....*groans*.....cute....

That is what I want to hear true stories of how gender has been use, I also has been victim and also has been able to find jobs because been a women and also because I look good rather of my merits.

Things like "all you have to do is smile and you get anything you want" comes to mind.

Yes Grady share with us your experiences.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I think I've addressed these issues elsewhere and I have been discriminated against because of my race and because of my being a Southerner. That's about all I'm willing to talk about now.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Men have tried to undermine me and come out ahead.

I think the poor sucker is a bum in the streets of New York now.

I turned down unwanted overtures from a certain dude and he tried to have me fired. Nice try. I got him fired.

Nope, i can wrestle with the best of them.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guy Fawkes

GradyPhilpott, why should your experience not count? You should speak up and tell us about it.
Women had to fight hard to try to get equal work and not get slapped on the asses while at work. Men have to stand up when victimized too.
If you believe there is a double standard in the world why not try to make a difference?

The problem is actually no one believes or cares about men being sexually harrased. Or .. I should say that people think guys can deal with it better then women?

The biggest problem I see where I work is women making sexual comments to some men, unwanted touching and the men are married, just makes them all wierded out. No one complains though.. and if they did no one would care.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
The biggest problem I see where I work is women making sexual comments to some men, unwanted touching and the men are married, just makes them all wierded out. No one complains though.. and if they did no one would care.

See that is the problem when all we heard is about women having problems and how they are quickly addressed but when it comes to the males I wonder why we do not hear more about their issues and the problems they find in the working environment.

What I want to know is why? it is because complaining will be seen as been lest masculine?

Men are hit with sexism as much as women and it affect them just the same as females.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
If we worked together for years and i said "hi honey" and gave you a little peck on the cheek would you be offended???

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

The problem is actually no one believes or cares about men being sexually harrased. Or .. I should say that people think guys can deal with it better then women?

yeah, I have had that too....no touching..but I had one of my bosses call me "sweetheart" and "sweety" and "honeybuns" so much I was freaking himiliated and begged her to stop. We also kinda fought...

Anyway, I tried the "sexual harassment" route and was laughed at by the higher ups.... so for men, just suck it up and give them what they want at the end of the day

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
If we worked together for years and i said "hi honey" and gave you a little peck on the cheek would you be offended???

That wouldnt offend me...something like... walking up and grabbing a handful of rear end and saying "hi, honey, hows it hanging?" would

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Honestly at this point and time in my life I can't see this being too much of a problem for me, the only thing that will gross me out or make me question that is if an "older" woman says a sexual innuendo to me or gets a little too close. Then I'll just be like WTF?

I don't think I've ever been denied a job because I'm a male, though that would piss me off if it happened, especially if the employer was a woman...

[edit on 18-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Well, Xphiles, Oh yeah, that would do it.

I guess theres a fine line that we cant cross. Still, i think you'd like it deep down in your heart.

I guess it also depends how chummy you are with the people, how well you know them, etc.

I love getting hugs from guys at work...as long as they're friends and they dont touch anything they arent supposed to.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Honestly at this point and time in my life I can't see this being too much of a problem for me, the only thing that will gross me out or make me question that is if an "older" woman says a sexual innuendo to me or gets a little too close. Then I'll just be like WTF?

I don't think I've ever been denied a job because I'm a male, though that would piss me off if it happened, especially if the employer was a woman...

Gross if its anyone over what? 20???

Whats the matter with a sexy 40 year old???

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Young men are not really attracted to older women. If they knew what I know, they'd think differently. I'm sure its evolutionary.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Gross if its anyone over what? 20???

No, at my age I wouldn't touch anything over 25-30, others may disagree but I insist.

Whats the matter with a sexy 40 year old???

Well nothing I guess but you're 40, and if you're still tying that hard, then jeez... But seeing as how my mother is 40 that just wouldn't work for me.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
West,

I can see your point. Nobody wants another mother, but there are 40 year old mothers and then there are 40 year old women who are desirable.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
XphilesPhan If a man said that to me that happen to be my boss I will feel very offended and I will say something right away.

That is the point I am trying to make, while women can easily be listen to and matters taken care of is not so with the men when they are in the same situation.

Dg I know exactly what you are talking about that was before the harassment became an issues and ethics classes were given for companies to address the problems.

But as usual it was to help females but no males.

Westpoint23 you bee surprise by how many young males are hit by older women even my son has some of that kind of experience at 20.

Now a day many mature women are very good at hiding their age. Like dg said is many very sexy 40 years old that its hard to guess their age.

Grady, I agree with you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join