It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to remove a thread from our "New Posts" view?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Sorry if you're getting deja vu reading this. I accidentally posted it in the wrong forum earlier.

Is there any way to remove a thread from our "New Posts" view?

Look, I'm not going to beat around the bush. Having a whole thread that tries to justify pedophilia looks really really really bad when I bring up the "New Posts" list. I try to browse this site and keep up on the forums at work, but there's a huge difference between titles that are embarassing (like "Molgar from Atlantis controls the White House") and titles that are just downright inappropriate to have on a list. I don't need people thinking I'm browsing some sicko forum. To say nothing of the fact that I oftentimes referred people to stories or threads on this board, or the site itself, but can't now till that damned thread dies. And it certainly doesn't help that it's in the single brightest forum color with the most easily readable contrast either.

I tried placing the poster on ignore, but the thread still shows up in the list of "New Posts" for me. I'm not condemning it, or the poster, for trying to have a discussion about something taboo, it's just a title that is offensive enough to merit my wanting it off my list as quickly as possible, and not have it show up again.

I don't want to impede anyone's right to Free Speech, but I do want that thread title the hell off my screen without having to sacrifice my own use of ATS. Any suggestions? Is there any chance a "remove thread from view" feature could be added if there wasn't such a feature already?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Oh my gosh...I'm so glad I missed this, because obviously it's gone now.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Oh my gosh...I'm so glad I missed this, because obviously it's gone now.

Ummm... no it's not, m8. The thread still appears right on the list.

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

That's the one I want off my screen.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Oh, okay, I have my new list set to where PTS threads don't show up. You can click custom up at the top and select it to where only ATS threads show up if you want until some one cleans up the mess on aisle six.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well, yeah, I guess I could do that in the interim. I just hate to miss out on all the other PTS threads just because of one really poorly chosen title.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Having a whole thread that tries to justify pedophilia looks really really really bad when I bring up the "New Posts" list.

Your interpretation of the intent of the thread couldn't be further off. The thread doesn't "try to justify pedophilia". It asks an interesting question. Apparently your answer to the thread question is a resounding NO, but that doesn't mean that the question has no right to be asked and explored.

If someone is ADVOCATING pedophilia, then report it to the mods. It's against the law.

And use the complaint button. That's what it's for.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Having a whole thread that tries to justify pedophilia looks really really really bad when I bring up the "New Posts" list.

Your interpretation of the intent of the thread couldn't be further off. The thread doesn't "try to justify pedophilia". It asks an interesting question.

No, interpreting it as just another sexual preference is justification. It can then be placed up there with the ranks of "straight" or "gay" or "bi" and thus implies it has just as much right to social acceptance as the other three preferences. However, that's not the bloody point. I don't care what the people in the thread think, I don't like seeing the title bounced around the list of new posts.

Apparently your answer to the thread question is a resounding NO, but that doesn't mean that the question has no right to be asked and explored.

Please re-read my post. I didn't say no one had the right to discuss it. I want to find a way to get it off my screen besides abandoning ATS (or PTS for that matter). Discuss such topics to your heart's content, I just don't want to see it in big bright contrast while I'm perusing reading material at work. I think that's a fair thing to ask.

And use the complaint button. That's what it's for.

I wasn't complaining, I was asking if there's a way to remove threads from MY view. ATS has added a lot of bells and whistles that I have yet to figure out or fully explore.

Jeez BH, you're normally a lot more observant than this. I can't imagine why you're getting so defensive.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I understand your concern about the title of the thread and I guess the best way to get rid of it is to take PTS off your preferences while you are at work.

The thread topic is very germane to Social Issues, especially in a era when there is significant effort to normalize previously taboo activities and the question remains as to just how far those efforts might go in the future.

The very facts that NAMBLA exists and that in one of the European countries recently the courts ruled that a pedophelia party had the right to run for office make the subject a worthy one.

So far, I have not noted that anyone has tried to justify sexual activity with children and, frankly, I'm not sure how we'll handle it if that happens.

[edit on 2006/9/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   

No, interpreting it as just another sexual preference is justification.

The thread asks the question, Is Paedophilia Just Another Sexual Preference? It doesn't say Paedophilia IS Just Another Sexual Preference. It asks a question for discussion. Similar to Is GW Bush a Reptilian? or Are Men Smarter then Women? I understand that you are offended by this thread title, but hey, that happens every day around here, doesn't it?

I'm sure there are plenty who feel the same way as you do. And they're posting in the thread.

I don't like seeing the title bounced around the list of new posts.

I hear you. I would love to be able to sort and pick and choose which threads came up in my New Posts.

Discuss such topics to your heart's content, I just don't want to see it in big bright contrast while I'm perusing reading material at work. I think that's a fair thing to ask.

I'm not participating in that thread. And I think it's totally fair to ask if you can customize your New Posts view. But the fact that you called out the specific thread that you don't want to see left me with the impression that you're complaining about the thread's existence.

I was apparently wrong. I'm sorry.

I wasn't complaining

I meant if you see someone advocating pedophilia, which is against the T&C, use the complaint button.

I can't imagine why you're getting so defensive.

Well, it's not because I'm a pedophile!
It's because I believe in the right of everyone to have discussions about any subject, even if they are offensive to some.

I'm sorry if I came across all bitchy.
Really, I just don't like to see anyone being shut down and I thought that's what you were trying to do. I do apologize if I'm wrong.

[edit on 18-9-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I understand your concern about the title of the thread and I guess the best way to get rid of it is to take PTS off your preferences while you are at work.

Yeah... but that sucks because there's a bunch of stuff on PTS that I'd hate to miss out on, and I don't generally browse ATS at home because I'm too busy working on projects (a house is never finished).

Perhaps I should suggest the ability to remove threads from view as a feature.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Not a bad idea IMO.

new topics

top topics

join