It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Qaeda threat over pope speech

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros

Originally posted by Mr Beezer

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) -- An al-Qaeda-linked extremist group warned Pope Benedict XVI on Monday that he and the West were "doomed," as protesters returned to the streets across the Muslim world to demand more of an apology from the pontiff for his remarks about Islam and violence.

www.cnn.com...

Being currently reported by CNN online.

Not a surprise that this statement comes from a bunch of murderous cowards that only want/need death and terror.

I demand an apology for the World Trade Center destruction.

I demand an apology for Daniel Pearl

I demand an apology for the USS Cole

I demand an apology for the violence from some little ol' dutch cartoons.

Bet you I don't get it!!

- Beezer

And why do you think Al-Qauda would appologise, they deliberately did those things?..........................Oh that's right you are generalising and asking Muslims to appologise. Why should they, it's not muslims who are the problem it's the extremeist terrorists. People like you don't deserve an appology anyway. I'd like an apology from Tony Blair for following George Bush and killing thousands of innocent people in my fing name without the support from the majority of the country. I won't get it though

I don't mean to go off topic but how do you know that Blair went to war without a majority of the UK backing him?....i thought it was 2 million on the Anti-war march?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
What a nasty little thread. Please guys, wake up. This news SCREAMS set up.

Al-Qaeda operative in White House, anyone?

Well, that idea sure "explains" everything that has been happening concerning the war on terror, et al. So, now the White House with a president who some claim to be a moron running the show, is really just a front for al-quaeda?

Pardon me a minute ....

Ok, I feel better now and can continue reading this thread.

Seriously, anything you don't like the real world explanation for, well, we'll just claim it, it, it's a conspiracy!!!!

[edit on 9/18/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hogtie
This conspiracy world is just to complicated for me. Mongo just pawn in game of life.

This is a conspiracy board.

It shouldn't be complicated for you unless you are just here to ridicule people who are close to the truth.
You don’t have to dive into cheese to find all the connections between the CIA and Al-Qaeda.

Originally posted by infinite8
Radical Islamics are doing nothing but proving the Pope's words true. By acting out in violence to his words it only backs what he said. Why demand an apology for something that they are not only guilty of, but are displaying in response?

It doesn’t make any sense does it?
Are we just supposed to toss logic aside and believe that these people are really so stupid to prove the Pope’s comments right? It makes no sense at all.
We must be pretty stupid to believe that someone else could be so stupid. :shk:

[edit on 18-9-2006 by Guy Fawkes]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
So, now the White House with a president who some claim to be a moron running the show, is really just a front for al-quaeda?

Duh, no. The question is, how far are you willing to beleive all you hear?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
I'm glad to see you spent all that time making an intellectual retort.

Keep it up.

That was easy. But if you are asking for a serious response to what you propose, there is no intellectual retort, and I see no reason to waste my time on such a train of thought, unless I am willing to have fun with it. Its only value is for entertainment.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well everyone is afraid to have planes flying into their buildings, so yeah we're going to apologize if the little babies out in Muslim-land start crying.

If it's war that needs to happen to set them straight, then give me a gun.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
you know what I just found hilarious. the fact that al qaeda didn't ever threaten the pope. Try reading. "Al qadea LINKED extremist group."- technically that could be our government back when we funded and formed al qaeda to fight the russians, I mean since they were christian EXTREMISTS lol. Hey guys for all we know ex president reagan could have threatened him.

The fact is, no one in al qaeda made the threat, just some group connected to them did. They just threw alqaeda in their report to get all you religious biggots up in arms and spewing hate.

[edit on 18-9-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Whether or not the group is al Qaeda linked is really beside the point. Let's just say that a threat against the pope was made by a Muslim extremist group. Frankly, the various groups are pretty much immaterial to any subject dealing with Islamic terror, unless you happen to be in the military or some other organization that deals with it all first hand. For the rest of us, they're all the same.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Geezzzzzz guys......

The pope quoted a 14th century Byzantine Emperor.

A little history:

Origins
When the Roman Empire was declining, the emperor decided to divide the empire in half because he thought that it would make it easier to govern. Later on, while civil war ravaged the western half of the Empire, the eastern half of the empire was pretty stable and so Emperor Constantine decided to create a new capital at the former Greek city of Byzantium, which he renamed Constantinople (present-day Istanbul). When the western half of the Roman Empire fell in 476, the Eastern half survived and thrived. This Eastern half of the Roman Empire later became known as the Byzantine Empire.

Since the Byzantine Empire had once been part of the Roman Empire its peoples were also Christians. However in 1054, there was a dispute over the worship of icons. The Christian authorities in the Byzantine disagreed with Rome and did not believe that it was proper to worship icons. As a result the first split in Christianity occurred, with the West continuing to practice Catholicism and the Byzantines practicing Eastern Orthodox. Later divisions of Christianity would come about with the Protestant Reformation in Europe in the 1500s.

The Byzantine Empire served two very important historical functions:

Preservation of Roman and Greek Culture - When the Roman Empire in the West collapsed in 476, many libraries and places of learning were destroyed in the chaos and much of the knowledge that had been gained under the Greek and Roman civilizations was lost. However the eastern half of the Roman Empire, the Byzantine, survived. As a result the Byzantine served to preserve much of the Greek and Roman advancements for Western Europe. Most significant was the preservation of Roman law by Emperor Justinian, the Byzantine's greatest emperor. Justinian codified and deciphered the Roman law codes and also expanded upon the existing codes. As a result, these law codes were preserved and have become the basis for the legal systems of many Western countries, like the US.

Cultural Diffusion - Not only did the Byzantine help preserve Roman and Greek culture and Christianity but the Empire also spread these ideas to other parts of the world. During the Crusades of the 11th and 12th centuries, Western Europeans making their way to the holy land had to first pass through the Byzantine Empire. As a result they brought many of those ancient Greek and Roman accomplishments back to Western Europe.

Two missionaries from the Byzantine Empire, named Cyril and Methodius, traveled into Central and Eastern Europe to spread the ideas of Christianity to the Slavic people. However, Cyril and Methodius could not teach the Slavs to read the Bible since they had no written language. As a result the two missionaries created an alphabet that eventually formed the basis for the Cyrillic alphabet, which many peoples in Central and Eastern Europe still use.
The Byzantine Empire finally collapsed in 1453 due to invasions by the Ottomans, but fortunately by that time it had served its important function as a bridge to the past and to the achievements of the Muslims.

All the pope did was quote someone who had asked an emissary at the time about what good has Allah done except spread Islam through violence.

It was a quote.

What I find funny (in a disturbing way) are the muslims shouting out that that statement is not true and they will commit acts of violence if there is no
apology

Talk about proving that statement correct

[edit on 18-9-2006 by ferretman2]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
They just threw alqaeda in their report to get all you religious biggots up in arms and spewing hate.

Hey! Lookee here at all the religious hate that I'm spewing!

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Whether or not the group is al Qaeda linked is really beside the point. Let's just say that a threat against the pope was made by a Muslim extremist group. Frankly, the various groups are pretty much immaterial to any subject dealing with Islamic terror, unless you happen to be in the military or some other organization that deals with it all first hand. For the rest of us, they're all the same.

yes but your taking the word of a group, and making it sound like it was from some major group like al qaeda. and how do you know this group is muslim? it could be malaysian?? Al qaeda was planning to use malaysian terrorists in their second wave attacks after 9/11, because arab muslims would be too risky. couldn't be them, had to be those darn muslims right?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hogtie

They just threw alqaeda in their report to get all you religious biggots up in arms and spewing hate.

Hey! Lookee here at all the religious hate that I'm spewing!

news.bbc.co.uk...

funny it doesn't say christians go to hell. doesn't say protestants go to hell. isn't that something. nor does it say catholitics. It says paus. That apparently is connected to the pope because when I looked it up, the pope came up in my search inquires.

also what the pope said I don't believe is hate speech (though note I did not hear the speech). Granted the pope only said something about the man in their book and not the religion itself, or the people of that religion, I don't see the pope as generating hate speech.

what I do see as hate speech, is what I saw earlier in this thread, and actually partly even up to this point.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I am surprised noone has added to the apology list an apology for the beheading of Nick Berg, Ken Bigley and Margaret Hassin to name but a few of the many who have been killed in this way in Iraq.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

also what the pope said I don't believe is hate speech (though note I did not hear the speech).

The transcript of the lecture can be found here:

www.theindiancatholic.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
In that case,
I want an apology from Christians for

The massacres of Jews that occured throughout the middle ages.
The massacre of Muslim women and children during the crusades
The massacre of Native American "savages" for not being European
The enslavement of millions of black people since he mid 15th century
The formation of such Christian groups as the KKK that have murdered hundreds of non-white Christians in the name of "whot por-r"
The Jewish holocost
The Nazi eugenics program
The American Eugenics program
Racal segregation

And these are just off the top of my head, please feel free to add.

If any Christian doesn't feel that they should be held responsible for these acts, please tell me why, because I'm seeing a lot of the same type of blame being placed in this thread.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Rasobasi420...

Once again there is someone attempting to threadjack, unable to answer the comment placed in the thread?

Th echurch has already apologized for past injustices.

In the last 15 years.........how many 'christian' terrorist attcks has there been?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

and how do you know this group is muslim? it could be malaysian?? Al qaeda was planning to use malaysian terrorists in their second wave attacks after 9/11, because arab muslims would be too risky. couldn't be them, had to be those darn muslims right?

They were talking about Malaysian muslims....Malaysia is a place, not a religion, it would still be those darn muslims....

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
In that case,
I want an apology from Christians for

The Jewish holocost
The Nazi eugenics program
The American Eugenics program

You have to go back pretty far for your list of sins and I'm not so sure that Christianity is to blame for segregation, but these three most definitely don't belong. Nazism had nothing to do with Christianity and I don't even know what you mean by an American eugenics program.

As for the rest, I think apologies have already been given.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Well ferret, I see a bunch of people saying all of Islam is to blame for the actions of a few. I thought it was ver appropriate to the thread that a seperate but equal view is proposed. And I don't care if "The Church" apologized, you didn't, and that's what I'm looking for.

As for Christian terrorists.....

Unabomber
McVeigh
abortion clinic bombers
IRA

Those are just off the top of my head, please add to the list.

And Grady, I'm sure that a christian was in the room when all of your exclusions happened.

[edit on 18-9-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

and how do you know this group is muslim? it could be malaysian?? Al qaeda was planning to use malaysian terrorists in their second wave attacks after 9/11, because arab muslims would be too risky. couldn't be them, had to be those darn muslims right?

They were talking about Malaysian muslims....Malaysia is a place, not a religion, it would still be those darn muslims....

I stand corrected, but that does not prove necessarily that they are muslim. I can entertain the idea they are most likely muslims, but thats not the point. You are ASSUMING they are muslims, not based on fact. That is what I have a problem with. Chances are, they were muslim, but do you know that for fact, no. If a man was killed in the ghettos of a majority black neighborhood in new york, would it be right for the police to assume it was a black guy simply because of the fact almost all of the people in the area are black? No, mainly because probable cause doesn't give the right away to prosecution. Probable cause gives way to investigation, not accussation.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join