It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They just don't get it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
For those who don't know him, Ben Ferguson is a right-wing radio talk show host and he is the youngest of his caliber to ever host his own radio program, as he is just 25. He appeared on CNN's special program "The Future" hosted by Miles O'Brien and the topic for that show covered national security and featured five different radio talk show hosts. Two were right-wing, two were left-wing/centrist, and the other was a sports show host.

I'm not exactly sure where Ben gets his information, but watching and listening to what he said last night, and knowing his views are representative of the vast majority of the American people, it really saddens me the lack of depth and sometimes total retardation on matters pertaining to national security and foreign policy.

Here is what he said last night:

O'BRIEN: No, no. Answer that question. What has it done to help the war on terror (in regards to the Iraq War)?

(CROSS TALK)

FERGUSON: I think it got rid of a man named Saddam Hussein, who was a pretty big terrorist.

Ferguson's response is wrong from just about every perspective. I won't even bother to provide a rebuttal.

Here is the part that frustrates me the most. Hate it or love it, we're there. Are we going to leave early? No.

Interesting that it "frustrates" him. This is the war he wanted, he's got that war and its not ending any time soon. Why should that frustrate him?

We have to finish the job. What I think is frustrating is the fact we are always talking about -- in this country -- we are talking about the negatives instead of reality of, OK, if you've got a problem you can either witch about it or you can fix it. We have to decide that we're going to stay there and --

Yes, we must fix the problem. Has the government done anything to fix the problem? No. Another meaningless statement by Benny.

See, this is where we are 30-minute mentality in this country. If we can't get it in 30 minutes, in a sitcom, and it's not fixed, the problem, we don't want to be there.

But many Americans never wanted to be there in the first place. Either way, the blame rests with our government, not the people. If 100% of Americans had asked for this war, Ben would be 110% correct. But not everybody asked for this war so I don't see why he is so down on us about our "30-minute mentality."

I also seriously doubt Ben knows anybody who's served in the military. Its very difficult not to have a 30-minute mentality when the war hits your own home. Its just an awfully ignorant and insulting thing for him to say.

Let me also quote something Martha Zoller stated in regards to the good that the Iraq War has done:

There's been elections. There have been people getting out to vote. Women in Afghanistan and Iraq have been able do things that they never could do before.

Tom Ricks said it best earlier in the week, when he stated that the elections were the last thing that should have been done in the rebuilding of Iraq. Holding elections before a stable government has been established is a very bad idea because elections are when the divisions show most clearly. When do we see the two Americas most distinctly? During election time! This is a very simply concept, something Americans should be familiar with (especially our government), but we have failed in applying that principle.

As for Martha Zoller's comment, things are never exactly what they seem. The fact that elections have been held and been embraced is largely meaningless. It has only divided Iraq up even more, far before the country has been stabilized. Democratization at its worst.

What I conclude is that a huge chunk of America simply lacks even the most basic of knowledge and intelligence to be able to truly grasp and handle reality. Everything is so clear cut, so bang-bang, so meaningful, yet the truth is that things are never clear cut, never exactly what they seem, so meaningless. Where is the skepticism? Where is the knowledge, or at least the quest for knowledge about this chaotic situation?

At the same time, I am now more convinced than ever that America is the best country in the world. What other country in the world is so powerful that a person can make such stupid, uninformed comments like the ones above and not feel reality's wrath on a consistent basis? Not to mention in our politically correct society, we can never publically tell someone that they're wrong (especially if they are). In America, truth is second only to belief. And I do not mean this in a sarcastic manner.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Iraq is The Bush family's personal vendetta. I live in a country where the President can foster a fued as foreign policy.

It shouldn't be. The middle class is so overwhelmed by all the giveaways, of freedom, of economic opportunity, of citizenship rights that we don't have time to care about the fact that the government is throwing wave after wave of destruction at it's own people(us Americans) and peoples in foreign lands.

We need to go down to Washington and dig those Republican scoundrels out of our government and show them the door.

They can sit on the sidelines for another 50 years till we need another Bush Or Hoover or a Harding(Teapot Dome) to destroy things.

[edit on 9/18/2006 by bodebliss]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
FERGUSON: I think it got rid of a man named Saddam Hussein, who was a pretty big terrorist.

Saddam was only considered a terrorist because he no longer suited US interests in the Middle East. Its funny how you dont hear about the lack of elections in Pakistan.

Here is the part that frustrates me the most. Hate it or love it, we're there. Are we going to leave early? No.
Interesting that it "frustrates" him. This is the war he wanted, he's got that war and its not ending any time soon. Why should that frustrate him?

I think thats his way of admiting that many of the Iraqs wars supporters were wrong when they said that it would be a cake walk. He couldnt openly admit that he was in the wrong if he did his kind would brand him a traitor and unAmerican.

Yes, we must fix the problem. Has the government done anything to fix the problem? No. Another meaningless statement by Benny.

I agree the US government is to far removed from reality to deal with the sitation in Iraq.

See, this is where we are 30-minute mentality in this country. If we can't get it in 30 minutes, in a sitcom, and it's not fixed, the problem, we don't want to be there.

I think that is true of western society as a whole the issue gose beyond Iraq.

There's been elections. There have been people getting out to vote. Women in Afghanistan and Iraq have been able do things that they never could do before.

That the same tired line that is thrown out. What people fail to grasp is that elections dont equal security.

Tom Ricks said it best earlier in the week, when he stated that the elections were the last thing that should have been done in the rebuilding of Iraq. Holding elections before a stable government has been established is a very bad idea because elections are when the divisions show most clearly.

The above statement is spot on. The Iraqi government was created way to soon you cant build a house or a government without foundations.

What I conclude is that a huge chunk of America simply lacks even the most basic of knowledge and intelligence to be able to truly grasp and handle reality. Everything is so clear cut, so bang-bang, so meaningful, yet the truth is that things are never clear cut, never exactly what they seem, so meaningless.

What else can you expect ?
The American Education system is prouducing students that get thou high school and yet many of them are unable to find Iraq on a map. Its all a part of the dumbing down of the population . If the population is dumbed down they will accepted what every wacko government and religious leaders say.

[edit on 18-9-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Double post.
Please delete.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
Iraq is The Bush family's personal vendetta. I live in a country where the President can foster a fued as foreign policy.
[edit on 9/18/2006 by bodebliss]

Well, I never saw anything that said to me that Iraq was a personal vendetta. But one thing is for sure, we shouldn't be there and we never should've been there.

Its so easy for the Iraq War supporters to say "lets stay and finish the job." Yet for those of us who didn't support the war, who understand what "war" is, you cannot posibly hold the same attitude. I can tell you that no other country in the world has the same mentality towards war as the U.S. does.

Again, what makes me most angry is the absolute apathy the government has shown in actually dealing with the situation. They're playing to lose here.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   

The American Education system is prouducing students that get thou high school and yet many of them are unable to find Iraq on a map. Its all a part of the dumbing down of the population . If the population is dumbed down they will accepted what every wacko government and religious leaders say.

I used to be pretty down on the American higher education system (universities), but I actually find that they are the only real bright spot in our education system. They provide the education that should've been instilled in them since middle school began.

Its too bad that we've basically allowed right-wing America to make false accusations against our universities, academia, and make every attempt to destroy any worth that they have in them.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

Its too bad that we've basically allowed right-wing America to make false accusations against our universities, academia, and make every attempt to destroy any worth that they have in them.

sweatmonicaIdo,

They do that so they can import foreign college grads for cheap.

In the first days of the current Bush admin. there were already plans on the board to attack Iraq as pay back for the attempted assasination of Bush senior. I think that was made clear in other threads on this board.

[edit on 9/19/2006 by bodebliss]

top topics

join