It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick of Media Censors?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well in case you didn't know, there is an organization that takes aim at the mainstream media.

Their mission is simply put in this bit from their "About Us" page.

Project Censored is a media research group out of Sonoma State University which tracks the news published in independent journals and newsletters. From these, Project Censored compiles an annual list of 25 news stories of social significance that have been overlooked, under-reported or self-censored by the country's major national news media.

Between 700 and 1000 stories are submitted to Project Censored each year from journalists, scholars, librarians, and concerned citizens around the world. With the help of more than 200 Sonoma State University faculty, students, and community members, Project Censored reviews the story submissions for coverage, content, reliability of sources and national significance. The university community selects 25 stories to submit to the Project Censored panel of judges who then rank them in order of importance. Current or previous national judges include: Noam Chomsky, Susan Faludi, George Gerbner, Sut Jhally , Frances Moore Lappe, Norman Solomon, Michael Parenti, Herbert I. Schiller, Barbara Seaman, Erna Smith, Mike Wallace and Howard Zinn. All 25 stories are featured in the yearbook, Censored: The News That Didn't Make the News.

On thier home page you can find a list of the Top 25 Censored News Stories. These stories are checked and double checked for factual information and can be considered verified. I think it's very important to seek out the Independant news sources given the "controlled" state of the more popular and mainstream data sources such as CNN, MSNBC, The Times etc, etc, etc...

This really is a fantastic source of information...all those stories that barely get a moment in the limelight.

I've been searching for good independant news sources, and have researched a few.

It's easier in Canada to find reputable sources for Canadian news, but when it comes to finding news items that are politically charged or involve the current goings on over seas and in the Middle East the news gets twisted and/or Censored quite a bit.

I'd like to use this little thread to collect some news sources that are reputable for all of us to share and add to.

A comprehensive list is the goal. So make sure you have working links, URLS are clear, and if the site requires subscribership or not.

The best I've found:

Project Cencored Media Democracy in Actionwww.projectcensored.org...

Metro Times Detroitwww.metrotimes.com...

Alternative News Group www.alternet.org...

Copvciawww.copvcia.com...

These are a small number of the ones I peruse. There are many more...add your favorites!

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
CouterPunch - www.counterpunch.org...

See also Blythe - NY Transfer - for a variety of news stories and political pundit articles.
Blythe-NY Transfer

Don't forget the Disinfo site! Great way to spend a boring evening, you DO need to sift through items and always check facts (regardless of what your news source is).
Disinfo

No one else have anything?

I'll just keep a'posting then.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Try accessing the net from the middle east and learn the true scope of how far censorring will affect your research

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Agent _T...tsk tsk tsk... I eagerly clicked on the thread thinking you might have had something ON TOPIC to post...like a good link I hadn't found yet...

Sure sure it's tough all over, but my focus here (on accounta I live on the AMERICAN continent is well...our crappy censored news and media.

Throw me a bone man (scratch that a link will do
)... or well...at least put your cute picture back up and get rid of Homer.

Sheesh.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by justgeneric
1)Agent _T...tsk tsk tsk... I eagerly clicked on the thread thinking you might have had something ON TOPIC

2)Sure sure it's tough all over, but my focus here (on accounta I live on the AMERICAN continent is well...our crappy censored news and media.

3)Throw me a bone man (scratch that a link will do
)... or well...at least put your cute picture back up and get rid of Homer.

Sheesh.

1) exqueeze me but isn,t my comment on topic..?I cannot even access youtube from here now.try researching a topic when 50% of your sites are blocked

2) Wow I forgot that Yankees are only concerned with what affects the dear old US of A

3)Which piccy was that? I,ve changed a few times now

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Didn't realize you were in a Media deprived part of the world.

Homer's okay I suppose but where's your old blue eyes avatar...not that it really matters *wink wink*?

Oh heck...

What media do you have access to BTW?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Hey, thanks justgeneric. Those links are great.
I've never even heard of a lot of the stories on those pages.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Axis of Logic - an open source media, with contributions from journalists, pundits and editors - multinational/activism

Corp Watch Corporate investigations and reporting - for those fiscally minded folks. Multinational reporting.

Guerilla News Network A slough of reprints, but some great articles and commentaries. GNN Blog also has some great opinions and outlooks. Multinational/activism

IFEX International Freedom of Expression - Multinational reporting, reprints, wide range of topics - politics, activism and socio-economic.

Eurozine - European media (multinational)
Eurozine has a LARGE list of partner journals, covering a wide cultural base...multi-country and language. Their list can be accessed HERE

EDITED TO ADD: There is an alternative reporting agency for "third world" countries and issues. An excellent collection of in depth articles and a must read for the multi-national activist or those interested in the socio-economic impacts of globalization.IPS - Inter Press Services

Typical themes: From their
Editorial Policy

Stories in the IPS World Service address one or more of the following themes:

Human Rights and Democratisation
Environment and Natural Resources
Population
Health
Education
Labour and Migration
Development
International Finance and Trade Flows
International Politics and Conflict Resolution
Culture, Arts and Entertainment
Science and Technology
Transportation
Media and Communications
Corruption and Governance
Religion

Very informative and well laid out site. Not up-to-the-minute, more in depth.

That should whet yer whistle for a bit...
There are a TONNE of sources hope you enjoy!

[edit on 9/18/2006 by justgeneric]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The National Security Archive

Open Secrets Follows the money trails in Politics. A great and very thourough site! (I just found this one last night and it blew me away!)

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Check out this website for transcripts, developing stories and articles on the UN

Eye on the UN

Also be sure to read the recent speech by Annan. It was awesome and inspiring and he got a heck of a standing ovation for it.

In contrast you might want to read Bush's address to teh UN...STARK contrast.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Just came across this little gem of a site offering Anti-war briefings and documents, as well as other information (this is an anti-war site - you are duly warned)

Justice not Vengeance

top topics

join