It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adam and Eve - a different perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I posted this in another thread, however another member's enthusiastic repsonse to it....

Originally posted by jupiter869
Now THIS is a creative and compelling spin on the story!!

Gave me the idea to see what some other people thought about it!

How about this for an idea...

The story of Adam and eve is an allegory to cellular bacteria splitting and multiplying. (Cellular miosis)

Adam was created, from Adam's rib Eve was created.

Basically the story in cellular division. To reproduce, the cells split. From a part of Cell 'A' or Adam, Cell 'E' or Eve is created.

Then they go on to divide and reproduce etc.

I dont believe in the Bible as a literal account. So thats how I've always viewed the Adam and Eve story.

Is it possible that there was some early scientific knowledge that could have influenced the Adam and Eve story?

[edit on 17-9-2006 by Ezekiel]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Lets look at the history of cells and the bible.

Robert Hooke discovered the first cell in 1665, by looking at corks.
It wasn’t until 1854 that Rudolph Virchow first discovered that cells are made from other cells. Thus discovering that cells have to divide and so on and so on. Moses, when he was wandering through the wilderness wrote the bible roughly around 1450 - 1410 B.C. At least according to most scholars. So in my opinion unless god told Moses that cells divided and multiplied then it was impossible for him to know that and create a clever little metaphor for the creation of man. Plus this theory, to me, doesn’t make sense. Because, you say that “basically the story is cellular division. To reproduce, the cells split” Whose cells are you talking about? Adam’s? And if you are talking about Adam’s cells then where did his cells come from. Some where in this lineage there has to be a point where Adam’s first cell is created, who created that first cell? Some believe god did it in genesis. So that was one big loop, but I hope that my argument was still understood.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Very plausable. Or that a creator being utilized cell splitting to ultimately produce man and woman as a means for creation. This same marriage of science and doctrine could explain the evolution process as not a proof that God doesnt exsist, but simply the proceedure in which the creator ultimately made ...us.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I think hes trying to say that the story is talking about cellular life and how it originates the rest of life. Adam & Eve were just anologies to the cell so people would understand. I don't think they were trying to describe the way Adam the person was concieved but how the process of life started from the get go.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Once again I ask you, did the writer (Moses) of Genesis have knowledge of cell division? I don’t think he did; let’s look at the accepted facts again. Robert Hooke discovered the first cell, only cells, not cell division, in 1665. The bible was written around 1450-1410 B.C. There’s a 3000 year gap in between the bible being written and the discovery of cells. It’s not possible that Moses knew that. Okay let’s just pretend god told Moses to write that Adam and Eve was a clever metaphor for cell division. Let’s take a look at what that conversation would have been like. (God) Moses, write this down. (Moses) okay what do you want me to write? (God) write that there once was a man and women that I created, but don’t get confused Moses it’s really just a clever metaphor for the process of cells dividing and reproducing to create more cells and more cells then creating tissue and then creating organs, then eventually creating man. Now don’t get confused Moses, I want everyone to know that cell division created man, but I’ll confuse them and say that I created them out of the dirt. (Moses) ………….what!? You see what I’m trying to say here?

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Interesting theory, but im pretty sure moses just wrote down what God told him. Exactly what Genesis says. If we find out its cell splitting thousands of years later than good for us, but the bible was written for the masses to comprehend.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Every culture has had a creation myth of one sort or another. People, no matter what belief system they use have to stop and not place your knowledge and view of the world onto a time and place where today's thinking did not apply. Nobody could read or write, people lived day to day and hand to mouth. Stories, myths, fables, etc. all served to provide a common framework from which small groups of people could come together to survive.

Today we use similar stories to for a dumbed down audience - kids (baby from the stork is a good example), uneducated audience, and to them a believable story. Add in fire and brimstone and you have a very effective method to come together and survive by bending people to a common set of rules and beliefs.

And in society today like beliefs and a commonality provide a basis for coming together (red bandana, blue bandana for the urban thugs is an example) and most religions served a similar purpose. Both to help in the survival of a group as well as to control that group....

Meant to also say the mitochondrial DNA thing is not pointing to a single "mother" but a small number of "mothers ". Nifty what science can do....

[edit on 22-9-2006 by UofCinLA]

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
spaceman you make no sense dude.

if God knows all... dont u think he would have known that Moses couldnt understand the concept of cells at that time therefore he put his content in a form he would understand. Very Simple.

Why do you try to over complicate such an easy statement.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Sorry about that, I lost control and was on a energy drink kick. My bad.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Adam and Eve.

Their son Cain was afraid to be kicked out of the garden becasue of 'the others' that were roaming around. He thought they'd murder him so God put a mark upon him.

Sounds like Adam and Eve were cro-mag and 'the others' were the doomed neanderthals. Put Adam and Eve back around 40 BC .. and it could work. They were the first few that evolved enough to pass down stories of what had happened during their lives.

Neanderthals were on the 'outs' and died off. The 'chosen' cro-mags continued on and further refined both physically and socially.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Cain never lived in the garden he lived outside of it. Then he killed able and god asked why had he done it and so god punished him and sent him to far away lands to marry, he put a mark ion his head so no one would kill him. He married and all of Cain’s descendents where to be cursed.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Look,

Maybe, just maybe, people were so uneducated in the way the world works that they had no other way of explaining their existence. Floods, earthquakes, tornados. How were they to explain these things?

Put yourself in the mind of someone who doesn't know about cells. Someone who doesn't know about plate techtonics. Someone who doesn't know about major causes to effects.

If you didn't know how an earthquake was caused, how would you explain it? How would you explain a flood? A tsunami? God seems to be the only logical answer when you don't have a better one it seems.

Its ridiculous trying to rationalize things of this nature. We live in a world where we are far more educated than those who wrote these books. It would be wise for everyone to stop acting like there is something further than a story to gather from them.

So simple..... yet people refuse to see.

See People.....

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Not trying to make things over complicated although it seems in Sight2Reality’s opinion we already have, it’s not a question about whether or not god exists or where he came from but rather one of how we were created. The author of the thread is trying to create a scenario where both evolution and creationism is in effect. And it is simply an argument of whether or not it is possible that god told Moses to write the books and there is an underlining meaning. And it’s not a question of Moses’ knowledge capabilities. And not to get philosophical, but is anything ridiculous enough not to be rationalized?

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I quite agree with Sight2Reality.This is the problem with the emerging religious thought process. Instead of dismissing the insane and improbable fables as nonsense there's this urge to try and blend it with scientific concepts while hiding behind the metaphors.

Originally posted by spaceman16
The author of the thread is trying to create a scenario where both evolution and creationism is in effect.

If you're going to step into the realm of evolution coexisting with creationism then you're way outside the bounds of the bible or any other religious book. What the author of the thread is doing is trying to connect the assumption dots and coming up with...well...nonsensical confusion. Lets first see if we can even assume moses to be smart enough to know what a cell is...or the biblical god to be smart enough to know the difference between a cell and dirt is....and then we'll start comtemplating on the metaphors.

[edit on 26-9-2006 by I_s_i_s]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
There is no proof that God knew about cells, as there is no proof Moses knew. Do you really need proof? There is proof of Creationism( there are many theards on it) and proof of evolution(Believers must face facts) ,but who is to say that God, in his infinite wisdom, created it all like this. It's always bothered me that people haven't really ellaborated on the scenario of Evolution being entertwined into God's plan. Maybe God made an evolution of people and animals. Since some agree that the bible could be figurative and not litteral, maybe we are looking to literal at the bible and assume that science played a big part in humans as did God. God created everything, so he wrote the laws and made things available for scientist. Darwin has a very compelling theory and maybe he unraveled the basis of creationism. The fact is people don't know for sure what happen, people must have faith, because without faith....the world is a place full of humans waiting to die.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TripleX
... people must have faith, because without faith....the world is a place full of humans waiting to die.

...because without faith, the world will be a place full of humans exploring life instead of killing each other

new topics

top topics

join