It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who will have claim over the planets?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This is probably a very important question I felt should be raised.It is apparent that sooner or later the planets will be settled on or explored,and bases will be set up on various moons and planets.My question is who gets what.I understand the was UN treaty made upon the claim on the planets but I believe that in due time,one nation is going to claim one part of a planet and others will follow.

What are you opinions.I wouldnt be suprised if the US ever claim part of Mars for themselves.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I think there should be a new government made from all of the world that is given the power to delegate a government on other planets. I dont think that any one person or place should be able to own a part or whole planet. We will just end up bringing our wars to space if that happened.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The member nations who signed the treaties that can get there
economically will most likely just pull out of the agreement,
or just break it altogether.

I am of the opinion to that the planets should have there own
governments as well.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   
In theory, no one can claim any object in space, or use it for military purposes because of the Outer Space Treaty signed in 1969 (or somewhere around then...can't remember exactly). Although, like all UN treaties, it'll be ignored and also upheld when and where it suits those countries involved.

Then you have to take into consideration private interests...... which I do believe are covered by the treaty, however it'll have to be beefed up and extended to really be of any use in this light.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostITM
In theory, no one can claim any object in space, or use it for military purposes because of the Outer Space Treaty signed in 1969 (or somewhere around then...can't remember exactly). Although, like all UN treaties, it'll be ignored and also upheld when and where it suits those countries involved.

Then you have to take into consideration private interests...... which I do believe are covered by the treaty, however it'll have to be beefed up and extended to really be of any use in this light.

Well you can do away with that theory, ICBMs go into space and therefore have always breached that treaty.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
The treaty has to do with objects and space outside of Earth orbit. Since all ICBM's are either suborbital or LEO weapons, they don't count.

The Moon counts.... as it's considered another planetary body.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
well we can just say that whoever makes a base or city on any planet or moon has no right to say that it's his belonging, it will be the belonging of all humanity, but is allowed to raise the country's flag and claim that it sent it there. but a separate government should be set up afterwards, when there are many colonies.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I would say its going to be first come first serve. so the richest country will be the owner of it. how else could it even be decided.. oh, your countrys people cant afford to make it there, but well hold a patch of property for you...... i dont think so.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
it might rain diamonds on neptune and urnaus.

so i now claim those planets for myself.

good question though , so many resources that are highly valuable on earth are found throughout space.

i dont think it will matter for 50 - 100 years and by then we will all be under one government probably.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
It will go as well as the Antarctic treeaty has gone.

So far not so well some will benefit from the Antarctic Treaty and some will never.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I suspect that the planets will be colonized just like the americas were colonized. There has to be a realistic reason for a person to go to one of them, not an idealistic one. Companies will have economic interests, extremely compelling ones in fact, to set up mining operations on them, for example.

Consider all the activity involved in getting gold, silver, platinum, etc, out of the earth, and thats been going on for thousands of years. There are a bunch of equally rocky planets out there that are completely untouched. If some gold in the rockies could result in the settlement of the US West, then imagine what entire planets worth of gold will motivate.
ALso, lets face it, any organization that is able to set up sustainable control of another planet, will basically also rule earth. With an entire planet's worth of resources, you'd be able to prevent anyone else from hustling in on your territory, or even getting off the earth and onto other planets.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Until nation-states can adequately project their power to protect and defend territories on alien bodies, it's really a moot issue. If, sometime in the future, valuable deposits are found on a moon or planet, there may be negotians or even war to settle access to the resources.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   
BUt think about it, what if, say, virgin industries wanted to put a temporary drilling station on the moon, or mars, no one is going to shoot them down. And even if they were fined, to pressure them, (and I don't know, but are there even punishments for non-states in the treaty?) what would it matter, if they could make a viable, sustainable operation on mars, they'd have a planets worth of gold and other metals, minerals and gems, whereas earth's entire planetary stockpile is divided up between over a hundred countries, and billions of individuals. Hell, they could ruin earth's entire economy by inputting all of mar's gold into it, and then just move on to another rocky planet. I mean, look at what the gold from the america's did to spain's economy, they went from THE global superpower, to be completely super-seded by those upstart british islanders, and then whomped on in a war by some rejects from a far flung british colony (the US).

If a company could at least get started with an operation on another planet, it'd be like having to deal with the East India company all over again, but a thousand fold.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
It would be a tumultuos time I bet, kind of like the wild, wild west was in America. But, I think eventually areas would either want to remain allied with an Earth nation state or declare independence. Since both Mars and the moon would be highly dependent on Earth for supply shipments, I think independence would be far more difficult for them to achieve than colonies on Earth were able to achieve.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
True enough, there'd be many more 'Roanokes' in this scenario. But, at the same time, with even MORE material being dependant upon outside supply, companies would have even more influence than before. They wouldn't just be paying you to get their gold out of the ground and then having you give them that money back in the company store, you'd be giving it back by buying the company air, company water, company protein-carbohydrate mix, etc.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
True enough, there'd be many more 'Roanokes' in this scenario.

There must be many indians in space then

All I know is that Europe obviously got dibs on Europa.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I would jsut like to say that I find its an awesome thought to think that we could colonize other celestial bodies but think about this...before anybody from Earth starts to even remotely think of taking over a planet/moon and calling it theirs, Has anyone thought of the possibility that it might already be owned/controlled by another race.....aliens?!?

just a thought

GR8 THREAD BTW

[edit on 20-10-2006 by rocques22]

CX

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
This is why i started this thread a while back...

Planet protection laws

Then again, why is this any different to people claiming land on earth? Someone once found a country and claimed it did'nt they? We are a planet in space too remember, and although no-one has laid claim to the whole earth, there are plenty of people who lay claim to thier country and fight for it with a great ferocity.

Does that mean it's wrong to fight for a whole planet up there, but we can fight for parts of it?

CX.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I agree with you CX, its probably more profitable to claim a whole planet since no HUMAN as been there so there's noone to fight you for it so why just go for a territory when you can have a planet?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The real money is to be made in the asteroids. Yeah, it'll happen eventually. In our lifetimes? Doubtful. The technology to get to the asteroids, set up bases of operations, start mining in microgravity, and then get the minerals back all in one piece is really just not feasible, even with today's technology.

But, as far as the laws go, it really only applies to countries. I could easily see companies or individuals staking claims on entire asteroids or plots of land on the larger bodies in the Solar System.

Also, keep in mind, that whoever controls the asteroids controls the Solar System. And I don't mean that in a strictly financial sense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join