It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal Church Investigated by IRS for Political Sermons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
If All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena violated the federal tax code, it could lose its tax exempt status. The controversy centers around a sermon delivered by former rector Rev. George F. Regas just prior to the 2004 presidential elections in which he spoke out against the Iraq War and the incumbent administration's tax cuts.

Rev. Ed Bacon received a summons Thursday ordering the church to present any politically charged sermons, newsletters and electronic communications by Sept 29.

Bacon was ordered to testify before IRS officials Oct. 11. He said he will inform his roughly 3,500 congregants about the investigation at Sunday's services, and will seek their advice on whether to comply.

"There is a lot at stake here," Bacon said. "If the IRS prevails, it will have a chilling effect on the practice of religion in America."

An IRS spokesperson declined comment on the investigation.

In a sermon two days before the 2004 election, Regas did not urge parishioners to support President Bush or challenger John Kerry but was critical of the Iraq war and Bush's tax cuts, Bacon said in an interview last November when the investigation was announced.

"He explicitly said, 'I am not telling you how to vote.' That is the golden boundary we did not cross," he said.

link

Boundary crossed or not, the investigation is going forward. I've had people tell me they would rather have the Mafia after them than the IRS.

[edit on 16-9-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I think someone posted this information under a previous thread about a month ago. The basic issue is that nonprofit church's are tax exempt organizations and as such are not allowed to lobby for political issues. To speak out against specific political parties or politicial candidates goes against what the nonprofit charters of the IRS allows.

I have no problems with the church saying vote "whoever" and I have no problem with the church paying the same business taxes as the rest of the businesses. When they incorporate as a nonprofit they know what the restrictions are, there is no reason they should not be expected to follow them.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
so what about all the churches that say to vote yes or no on specific issues?

i went to a catholic mass the other day
and there was a sermon railing against the liberal, secular-progressive candidates
they also said to vote NO on a specific ammendment on stem-cell research

this is fairly common in catholic churches in st. louis (yes, i'm in st. louis, go cardinals), but the catholic church remains tax-exempt.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
What stuck out to me is this:

He said he will inform his roughly 3,500 congregants about the investigation at Sunday's services, and will seek their advice on whether to comply.

Am I missing something here?

They (church) are contimplating being above the law?

Is that all I have to do? Not comply?

Jeez

Misfit

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Part of the problem here is that the only churches that seem to be investigated are the ones that backed the democrats, or didn't back bush.

THere are a heckuba lot of conservative churches out there that are extremely political, this has been going on for a long time. If there's going to be anyone prosecuted, then everyone has to be prosecuted.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
That is exactly my concern on this issue, equitability, expressed in the ATSNN article on the same topic.

I turn on TBN and see Pastor Hagee of Cornerstone railing against Clinton and liberals, and being specific about his intent. If the IRS is going to be fair, then they should be the next in line.

[edit on 22-10-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Just another step in rigging the elections. If a church supports Bush he shows up or someone from the GOP shows up to speak. If a church supports the Dems the IRS shows up and shuts it down and arrests everyone who goes to that church.

Good job, there is no SS, there are no detention camps, there is no NWO...

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
So like the several Super Church Sunday's that were televised where Republican Senators stood shoulder to shoulder with KKK Grand Wizards and Ministers to speak out against Gays, Gay Marrige, and Liberals. The Super Church makes millions a year yet the IRS leaves it alone.

Also, watching House...

"Do you know how many little boys pray for jetpacks? Do you know how many Catholic Priests pray for... Wait, that one actually works."

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Well, if you vote for Mitt Romney, you're voting for satan.....and if he wins the GOP nomination, it will lead millions of souls into hell...

that's according to another evangelist...who's tax exempt status is being questioned.

www.sun-sentinel.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
shouldn't we just make them all subject to tax? seriously, it would cut out all the work because pretty much every single religious institution preaches politics on some level.

[edit on 6/4/07 by madnessinmysoul]

new topics

top topics

join