It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Forum For Race, Ethnicity and Culture

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
A forum for this is necessary. And it isn't redundant. There needs to be a place for these matters to be intellectually hashed out with people, I repeat, who are sensitive to these matters and well versed on the literature regarding race, ethnicity and culture.

I would expect the forum to be policed like other forums. And if there are people who do not behave in such a forum as this, they would be treated the same as others who have misbehaved in the plethora of forums on the board.

Sadly enough, race, ethnicity and culture issues are not getting the attention they need and deserve in Social Issues.

But I have a few other questions to ask:

Are people against this because of the fear of having a forum with this subject matter? Are they afraid to let these issues stand alone? Do they want these issues to be quietly buried in Social Issues? Are they afraid of these three issues together?

I'm sure there would be dissenters for the Automotive forum as well. And if the argument is that there are too many forums, the Automotive or the subforum for robotics ought to be cast aside in the same light.

I think the addition of a forum such as this one has exciting possibilities if one is willing to think about it. However, people do have to be at a place to entertain these possibilities.

And for others who are concerned about exclusivity, why not run a referendum on RATS? That forum, I believe, is very exclusive and shuts out a great deal of members who don't have the points to get in--that is if they can't pay for the upkeep of their membership in such a place. For people who are afraid of exclusivity, they ought to call for RATS to be abolished. It is as simple as that.

But for whoever has the merits to be a FSME of a proposed Race, Ethnicity and Culture forum would have to campaign as anyone else for any other forum on this board. And if 1,000 votes are needed, I guess the candidates have to do a lot of work to win people over, do they not? My suggestion is to start early by convincing members that they know about issues regarding race, ethnicity and culture. They also have to demonstrate they are aware of the literature that talks about these issues. And for people who want the task, a lot of reading, talking and researching has to be done.

This board touts a lot of members who have specialties in many areas. Why would the specialities afforded to race, ethnicity and culture be left out?

[edit on 16-9-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
Are people against this because of the fear .... Are they afraid .... want these issues to be quietly buried ... Are they afraid ...

Those are Insinuations against the character and intelligence of fellow board members.

The fact is that eveyrone who said that they think it isn't necessary have ALREADY said why they think so. They said why they were against it VERY CLEARLY on their posts. There is a social issues forum and the few threads that discuss conspiracy in race fit there. It's just that simple.

You've made your request. Now, if those who run the board think it has merit and deserves any attention they will say so.

edited for spelling

[edit on 9/17/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Any postings on the Social Issues forum will get the attention it deserves...most if not all the others certainly do.

Race, Ethnicity, and Culture...as well as most any topic one can think of is a "social issue". In America, cars are a cultural icon, hence a social issue...but seriously...Race, Ethnicity, and Culture are social issues and there is already a forum specific to these sort of topics.

DaCruz. Don't be shy...if you got something to say, say it loud and say it often, you'll fit right in
. Who cares if nobody agrees? Half the fun of being here is the argument...nope don't be shy.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Half the fun of being here is the argument...nope don't be shy.

Discussion, seagull, discussion. We never argue here!

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I'm posting here as a member.
I think a special forum for Race, Ethnicity and Culture would confuse more than help.
This is first and foremost a Conspiracy forum.
With Politics (PTS) and fun & interests (BTS) to round things out.

Being a Conspiracy forum, topics dealing with REC would fall into another forum. Like WOT, US Politics, Political Conspiracies, Other Current Events, etc.
It would dilute the existing forums as the conspiracy, or ATS, angle should be our primary focus.
That would eliminate a need for a REC forum on ATS or PTS.
If there is a need for a REC forum on this BB, then the only place for it to exist without diluting our primary focus, would be in BTS. It could be a place for serious discussion, away from conspiracies AND politics.

My 2.75 cents, not an official reply.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Any postings on the Social Issues forum will get the attention it deserves...most if not all the others certainly do.

Race, Ethnicity, and Culture...as well as most any topic one can think of is a "social issue". In America, cars are a cultural icon, hence a social issue...but seriously...Race, Ethnicity, and Culture are social issues and there is already a forum specific to these sort of topics.

I thought this was a conspiracy website? So is conspiracy going to tie into this? If so then I will be here like a dirty shirt in the washer. I think that muliticulturalism and immigration is about destroying nationalism so that the NWO can be brought in to being.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
On The Bright Side...

Even if we don't get a Race, Ethnicity and Culture forum, we'll always have Slug-Fest.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I think it doesn't dilute the conspiracy nature of the board. I think in the end, it will strengthen it, if people treat the forum right. People always have different conspiracies about race.

Here are two:

1)The CIA peddles coc aine and other drugs in the Black community.

2)AIDS is developed as a way to kill Black people.

I've heard two of these conspiracies being explored here. I don't know where I stand on both of those issues. But instead of those two topics being on two different forums, they would be consolidated under one forum in which people could talk about it.

What is wrong with that?

And yes, Race, Ethnicity and Culture does not need to be in Slug Fest or Social Issues. They need to be in a place where they will be treated with open-mindedness and respect. Unfortunately, the issues of those who speak of these matters are not. It's about time we have people and a forum that affords the utmost care and concern to the people and the subject matter related to race, ethnicity and culture.

That is why, I asked, that if a forum is proposed, that it be headed by people who are sensitive and knowledgeable about the issues of race, ethnicity and culture. By having leadership who is knowledeable about these matters, then issues in this area will be treated with seriousness. They will have the knowledge to intervene and bring about other ways of thinking about the issue.

I believe that in Social Issues, this is not happening.

And if we are supposed to "Deny Bigotry" here, it's about time we start acting proactively to eradicate it.

And for those who feel that they can intimidate others from not speaking about this important issue, I would ask with all generosity and kindness to refrain.

This is a forum for all members here. We do not need people to force others not to speak here.

[edit on 17-9-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

And yes, Race, Ethnicity and Culture does not need to be in Slug Fest or Social Issues. They need to be in a place where they won't be buried and treated with the utmost respect. Unfortunately, the issues of those who speak of these matters are not. It's about time we have people and a forum that affords the utmost care and concern to these issues.

I'm sorry, but ceci, are you saying the other topics in Social Issues are being treated less??? Without the UTMOST respect???

My Vote is to keep it in "Social Issues."

There are only about 4 or 5 actually active members posting on that topic..

Semper

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006

I believe that in Social Issues, this is not happening.

Instead of waiting for something to happen.
go make it happen.
Social issues is calling your name. Go answer the call.
Work hard enough, and get others to join in, eventually you may get what you have been asking for. If it gets busy, there is your proof! and your reason to ask again, for an additional Forum!

I also have a question.
If you don't get the forum you want, what are your plans?

To keep asking?
To work hard in Social issues, hoping to get a new forum eventually?
To file a lawsuit?

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I decided to write a poem, no matter how badly it is, in response. After all, it is time to call for others than the same posters to put in their two cents about the issue:

"Why I Think, You are Very, Very Wrong"

What you are saying is very, very wrong.
I still do think that race, ethnicity and culture
Are not getting the attention deserved
In a place called "Social Issues".

Unfortunately, there are those
Who do not pay it the just respect
That is deserves to be there
Simply because they do not have
The right credentials or temperment
To do so.

My vote would not to keep it in Social Issues
Where it will be buried
Under other topics that will
Render the questions about race, ethnicity and culture
Useless and Forgotten

Race, Ethnicity and Culture
Ought to be recognized
Because there is a very, blatant problem
Of lack of dignity and respect
Because of the lack of understanding
Of the issues.

If one wants to get rid
Of a very important, exclusive
Yet unnecessary Forum
Let us call for the abolishment
Of RATS

RATS demonstrates
The necessity of a forum
That blocks entry to most members
Due to the lack of points
They are to enter the forum
And speak their minds.

All I ask,
Is for other members of color
And those sympathetic to our plight
To make your voices known and heard
In the face of such intimidation and derision.

Your voices are important, relevant and compelling
And your ideas should be treated
With dignity and respect
Without being branded with "behaviorial problems"
Or Victimology
For what you say in "Social Issues"
And the rest of the board.

And still I ask,
"What is Wrong, with a Forum
On Race, Ethnicity and Culture?"

Are people afraid?
Are they scared of what might occur there?
Or are they afraid
Of looking at themselves
In the mirror of their own lack of understanding?

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If we're going to have a forum about African-american issues, then i think we should also have one about Hispanic issues.
Maybe we could have one for every race and nationality.

Mods?

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Maybe we should have forums on those issues. Are you willing to stick your neck out to do it?

Probably not.

I appreciate your sentiment, but we need people with good ideas and helpful advice.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
ceci, is that fair???

I think that DG has been very cooperative and contributory in posting...

Semper

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
On a related note, RATS has a point fee for a reason, the topics discussed in there are intended to be "mature" and serious in nature, and newer members might not abide by that standard of discussion.

BTW, has anyone visited the Social Issues forum? It's a fabulous place!

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
West Point, it might be fabulous, but it does not suit the needs of everyone. The only thing I suggest, for Social Issues, is a new sub-forum with the addition of an FSME expert that has the knowledge of cultural issues related to Race, Ethnicity and Culture. If not, it is time to propose a forum to discuss these matters where these issues can truly get the respect and dignity they truly deserve.

I hope that this also answers your question, SpaceDoubt.

Semper, yes, it is fair. Dg is a wonderful person. But her remarks about me and this forum are unwarranted. I would at least appreciate the fact if she would treat this idea with dignity and respect. And when she does, I will treat her with the utmost respect.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I expected as much from you by coming back with that zinger.

Its a boring Sunday and i'm just hanging around slumming to see what is in that head of yours.

There is no talking to you. Besides, i have a life.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
That's what I mean, dg. Instead of "slumming it", I would welcome your insight and comments more if you would pay the proposition of a forum about Race, Ethnicity and Culture with a little more respect.

I understand your position. I accept it. But it is not nice to be the recipient of your zingers instead of contributing helpful and useful insights in this matter.

But I'll still give you a hug and bury the hatchet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semper, there are more people who are talking about topics such as these, but their threads are spread across the board.

And a forum about this issue would not only attract those who do commonly speak about these issues. Maybe it will add a more diverse population in discussing these issues rather than the usual suspects. In the best of all intentions, I would love for more people to discuss these issues. But usually because of the climate of treatment concerning issues such as these, they are probably frightened off.

It is not for the faint of heart.

No one wants to be put under the ringer for having their entire manner of being attacked for speaking their mind.

Either these issues deserve to be more fully policed and treated with respect of all view points, or we need to establish a forum in which there is leadership who is devoted and care about the insights of people in this area. No person deserves to be branded with any Scarlet Letter for bringing up topics such as this one. These issues are just as important and has contributed to the areas of conspiracy as other ones.

Or, can anyone tell me how cars contribute to conspiracy (other than the curse of the car that Archduke Ferdinand and his wife rode and was assasinated in)?

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Hug accepted.

Now, my child is REALLY hungry.

I will not argue with you anymore, Ceci, and you're right, since i will not be contributing anything to this thread or the other 3 you have going on the same subject...i bid you farewell.

Sleep tight.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Thank you, dg. I respect your wishes. But no, I do not want you to stop contributing. I just want people to just give this topic a little more respect. That's all.

Nothing more.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join