It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many Republicans here who are pissed off at Politically Correctness?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Well...I'm sorry but...

Sticks and Stones..

That's what we're really talking about here... I'm all for equal rights and all, but when you can lose your job over a comment, it's gone a little too far.

Jeez..someone could call me a white honkey cracker, whatever, and I'll simply shrug it off. Yet, you call a minority some derogatory name and OH MY #ING GOD, WHAT DID YOU SAY???!!! Pathetic... Maybe people just need to get thicker skins if they let names hurt them.???

By making it even more Taboo, you simply magnify those words' effectiveness. If you truly want to make them as meaningless as the white racial slurs above...simply make it less taboo to say them, and they'll lose their shock value, and thus, their utility in using them....

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysteriousbob
So pulling over black men in cars that are expensive would work too huh? Tell me something, what is the demographic of violent crimes involving petty drugs and murder?

Oh, so black people can't own expensive cars without being pulled over? So, my friends can't drive the Mercedes coup AND the Expedition because their black unless they submit to harassment by the police?

But, that's ok with you b/c you're a racist.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 09:30 AM
link   
It isn't just race..

There are other factors involved...

Lets use the black man/expensive car analogy.

The cop sees a well-dressed black man driving a mercedes. Do you think he will immediately wonder if it's stolen? Likely not... Yet, then the cop sees 4 black youths, wearing gang colors in a mercedes. Hmm??? Think the odds just went up a bit? Yep, so does the cop.

There is a whole package to consider here, when talking about profiling...not just race. Heck, just take an above example of the man with blue hair and painted fingernails, etc. He's likely white (too late to check the post now), but it's the total package, that makes those immediately stereotype him...

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I was just wondering who here doesn't give a flying frock about the Polictical correctness?

I think its ok to racial profile in airports....the middle eastern people are the ones blowing us up right?

And another thing, its ok if i don't happen to like homosexuallity...its a sin and thats how I feel.

Anyone else got some more PC stuff we can talk about?

Political Correctness came about because we have some very stupid people in this country, Bob. While I can call my co-workers who are my friends some very pointed racial slurs and insults on their ancestry, key word is that they're my friends. That person coming in from the AsiaPac branch has every right to raise issue & seek action if I choose to call him a Chink or ask how he picks his wife out of a crowd since they all look alike.

Getting back to stupid people, Racial profiling & PC are related...how? Racial profiling is a fact of life & necessary evil, that's not so evil when done professionally; the problems come into play when it's a substitute for due dilligence.

There's no sin in anything dealing with consentual adult sexuality. If you're overly concerned with how someone expresses their sexuality to another, keep it to yourself - you have zero entitlement to air your feelings at that person's expense. It is not being PC to operate within the confines of basic human dignity & respect, it's being adult.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 11:08 AM
link   

How many Republicans here who are pissed off at Politically Correctness?

I'm not 100% sure if I'm a Republican. But I'm 100 % sure that I'm pissed off at PC.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I really don't care. You can call me a redneck, honkey, cracker, saltine, or albino. Just don't call me snow white.

PC
:bash:

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The last time a flew I watched elderly caucasions being frisked before entering the plane. This was done in the name of making flying safe from terrorists. I can't remember the last time a plane was destroyed by a little old lady with the last name of Murphy. Obviously, that makes no sense. But we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. So, we act illogically so as to make everyone happy? Stupidity.

A black man in an expensive car. Everything needs to be looked at in proper context. Where is he, how old is he, what is he doing? But, that is to be said about caucasions, as well. Would it be profiling if the local cops stop a young white male coming out of the housing projects in the center of my town? Maybe, but I'll bet you a cold one that upon searching that innocent person's car, crack will be discovered. Everything in context.

Now, as far as the people in the car scene, regardless of what we know would probably be the case when an experienced observer stops someone because of profiling, does the constitution allow for making contact with the citizen for such reason? I'd say not. On the other hand, are today's police officers the same thing as peace officers? No, they are not. We are trying to argue apples and oranges in that regard.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The last time i checked, races definately had some differences. so do men and women. and while it's absolutely hillarious to point out those differences and make fun of them, it's not all right to hate on them.

except for american indians. cause we're the master race. all the rest of you squatters can go home.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Heh bad choice of theoretical surname there tc, but I concur with the point, its only common sense.

Affirmative action is a different kettle of fish however.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Racial profiling is alot like the "Zero Tolerance" programs in schools. Zero Tolerance elimates authority figures ability to use common sense. When a child can be punished for bringing a necessary inhaler to school, or a tylenol pill, that is an indication of a serious problem. The problems result from the refusal to use common sense. That is how this is relevant to racial profiling. Lets say you are a farmer. For several mornings when you wake up, you notice several chickens missing from the coupes, and others harmed. You also notice what seem to be dog prints in and around the coupes. Now it could be your loyal german shepard. Or it could be wolves (which have a history of doing such things). Who are you going to accuse? Common sense is needed in these types of situations. One suspect with a history of doing such things. A second that doesn't give you any problems. People who say that it is racist to profile according to race are just refusing to use their own common sense.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I hate being PC,I hate it when anyone tells you what to think. Its my life not yours,let me make my own decisions for better or for worse. I remember back in 8th grade my reading teache corrected a kid when he said poor people. She told himt o say "people who are less fortunate".

How can you be African American if you never came from Africa in the first place? Black American makes more sense then that.

Way I see being PC is letting the "Thought Police" rule your life.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
I think we should racially profile too. Generally, what color and gender are those depraved vile child molesters that ruin the lives of thousands of youths?

So pulling over black men in cars that are expensive would work too huh? Tell me something, what is the demographic of violent crimes involving petty drugs and murder?
]

he's on to something

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
I hate being PC,I hate it when anyone tells you what to think. Its my life not yours,let me make my own decisions for better or for worse. I remember back in 8th grade my reading teache corrected a kid when he said poor people. She told himt o say "people who are less fortunate".

How can you be African American if you never came from Africa in the first place? Black American makes more sense then that.

exactly

I bow to you master of the force

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Can't you take a day off from suckin' up?

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fury
The last time i checked, races definately had some differences. so do men and women. and while it's absolutely hillarious to point out those differences and make fun of them, it's not all right to hate on them.

except for american indians. cause we're the master race. all the rest of you squatters can go home.

It's not our fault you were on our land first!

Of course the Native American blood in me holds me in contempt for that joke!

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Can't you take a day off from suckin' up?

is it wrong for me to agree with some one?

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Oh, so black people can't own expensive cars without being pulled over? So, my friends can't drive the Mercedes coup AND the Expedition because their black unless they submit to harassment by the police?

But, that's ok with you b/c you're a racist.

I was mearly commenting on how you just basically said all white men were pedophiles and rapists...i'm just saying, you are just as racist as you think I am. By the way, I'm far from racist. You just assume because I was trying to be witty and show you the other side of the fence that I must be racist.

I see how it is, its ok for one race to think bad thoughts about the other, but the minute a white man says anything, even if it is within context of an important conversation, he MUST be racist.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

A black man in an expensive car. Everything needs to be looked at in proper context. Where is he, how old is he, what is he doing? But, that is to be said about caucasions, as well. Would it be profiling if the local cops stop a young white male coming out of the housing projects in the center of my town? Maybe, but I'll bet you a cold one that upon searching that innocent person's car, crack will be discovered. Everything in context.

That is exactly what I ment. I just didn't think I had to actually word it out for the col. I thought he was at least smart enough to get it for himself....some people just can't be helped

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster

Hell yeah, the day I call them African American is the day I get called European American. That would make sense seeing as how the british people scared my ancestors over here. I don't know, something about religious persecution or something

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Funny, today a friend and I had this same argument (discussion, I should say). He referred to himself as an African-American. I asked if he were an African or an American. He responded by saying both. I asked to see his African passport, and enquired about which particular country he was from. Of course, it was explained that the hyphonation referred to ancestry. I suppose you can guess that my response to that was that ancestry has nothing to do with the freedoms enjoyed in the country and we'd all be better off if people were less worried about how they got here and what they were going to do with their individual lives while they are here. While I have no ill feelings toward Ireland or Scotland, I have been to neither place, and I hold no joint citizenship. Make no mistake, I am purely American. Everyone, I feel , should be that way about their own citizenship.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join