It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats a good 1st Gun?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I was wondering, since I will be able to legally own a gun in a year and a half, what would be a good first gun to buy, i have shot some guns before, so i know the differences, so what would be the best gun to be a first gun?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It depends what you want a gun for, but I would recommend a good .22LR revolver and a good single-shot or bolt action rifle in the same caliber. These would be good for teaching you the fundamentals of marksmanship without the distraction of heavy recoil. If you can hit your target with a .22, then you can shoot any firearm.

Starting out with single-shot, revolver or bolt action firearms will force you to make your shots count, instead of just jerking rounds down range until you get lucky.

On top of all that, ammo is dirt cheap, so you can practice, practice, practice.

Any of these would be an excellent choice of rifle.

Any of these revolvers would be an excellent choice.

A bit expensive, perhaps, but well built and your grandchildren will be able to use them after your gone.

[edit on 2006/9/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It depends on what you want to spend. You could go get some .22 rifle for like $100-200. For about twice that you could get an AK, but I wouldnt bother with that. I would look into AR15s and clones. Doesn't have mucg recoil, but is a blast to shoot and there's no end to what you can do to them.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
well, i was kinda thinking s .22s, since thier ammo is cheap, but i really like bolt action rifles, is their any Bolt action .22s?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Go here an look for the Ruger 77/22 rifle.

Also look for the Ruger New Model Single Six®

www.ruger.com...

Or, try the links in my previous post.

Any of these would be an excellent choice of rifle.

Any of these revolvers would be an excellent choice.

[edit on 2006/9/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Grady Phillpots advice on a .22 rifle in single shot or bolt action is a good one ..also your liking bolt actions...well done.

Many companys make bolt actions. The Ruger M77 style .22 caliber bolt action is a fine action. A bit pricy for a first rifle in this caliber but no doubt about the quality.
Thats is what one pays for that type of quality.

My .22 bolt action is a Marlin model 880 squirrel rifle with a heavy barrel. This rifle shoot very well. THe trigger is a bit chunky for my tastes but it can be worked on by a gunsmith. I too like a good .22 bolt action.

You have to do alot ...a whole lot of shooting to wear out a .22 caliber rifle. IF you take care of the ones you will get you can pass them on to your children.

Good luck in your choice..do your homework and ask questions ...

Keep them in the X ring.
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Good choice on the .22LR bolt action, but you would probably have more fun with a Ruger 10/22 semi auto rifle in .22 - start with a basic rifle and then explore all the aftermarket customizations that are out there.

Always remember that .22LR is deceptively mild especially out of a rifle, always treat it as if you were shooting a .30-06 in terms of targets and backstops, other than that, just enjoy yourself.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I would at least get an auto loader like a 10/22 or something. I would look into getting an AR15 with the .22 upper conversion seriously. Once you master the .22 and get bored of it you can swap over to the .223 which also doesn't have much recoil. With an AR the possibilities are endless as they make everything from 9mm, .45, 6.5, and 6.8mm, and now crazy stuff like .50 beowulf and .475 socom conversion kits

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Why not get a BB gun and learn about the basics of gun handling and markmanship right now?

Daisy's Red Ryder BB gun, a lever action air rifle shooting .177 BB's costs right at $40. many places.

The short range will allow you to use the rifle in many places where you couldn't use a regular firearm.

May as well be learning while you're waiting to reach the age for legal ownership of a firearm.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
Why not get a BB gun and learn about the basics of gun handling and markmanship right now?

This is really an excellent idea. Airguns are an excellent way to learn the basics of marksmanship at very low costs. Be advised that you can spend as much on an air rilfle as you can on a firearm.

Here's a pellet rifle at a good price from a good manufacturer.

/ejgvn

Check local laws.

BB Guns can kill.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Excellent replies for the .22s. And the BBs and air gun, too. Find out about any local regulations for firing bb guns. And be careful if you go out where you think there are no people around; we've been unpleasantly surprised while camping when projectiles started whizzing by us. A great many people take to the outdoors nowadays and may be hidden atop a hill or behind a slight rise.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
You got to get the

Cougar Magnum!

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Many very good suggestions here. Whatever you do decide on learn and pratice responsable ownership of your firearm. I personally prefere a 10mm S&W ACP for general protection and a 9mm riffle, the type with a clip, for general hunting that way you can buy an expanded clip for target practice. A 12 gage shotgun is a usual pick for many but, I would not recoment it for a first firearm.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
If I had the choice to get any gun I want I would get the IMI Tavor TAR-21.

en.wikipedia.org...

Coolest gun I think and I believe its the best gun in the world right now. Extremely accurate for a small gun and extremely
looking too.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by neagle
I personally prefere...a 9mm riffle, the type with a clip, for general hunting that way you can buy an expanded clip for target practice.

Hunting what?

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
[Hijack]the Tavor is NOT the best gun in the world, this is hype produced by the Israeli's, it's comparable to the G36C at best[/hijack]

I agree, a .22LR would be the best choice, I am partial to the Remington 597 my self but the 10/22 has alot more after market products available.

A bolt-action is more accurate and you will get more satisfying shots while the semi-auto's will be more fun while plinking which is a great past time.

9mm carbines will be a good choice as well since the ammo is cheap but you might run into problems buying the ammo because it's pistol ammo which is only available to people of atleast 21 years old I believe (atleast here in Iowa).

9mm's give you more options in the sense of self-defense purposes (god forbids that ever happens) while the .22 makes cleaner shots on small game and is a couple of dollars cheaper per box.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
If you havn't learned any gun safety techniques, look them up. Airsoft weapons are great fun. sting, but dont break skin, or leave bruises, a typical airsoft gun from wallyworld may run you about thirty bucks. If you can find a indoor BB trap like I have, you can fire the weapon indoors, without worry of ricochet. I have many airsoft guns, and I would be happy to help you aout with them.

www.airsoftatlanta.com...

this is the place I go to for my airsoft weapons. Good Hunting

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
i have to agree with grady's first post on here. i got my first rifle when i was 9. it was a remington single shot bolt action. loved that thing.

though rather than a rueger rifle, id suggest the remington 595 semi auto. little less expensive and accurate as heck. but thats just me

id also reccommend taking a hunters safety course. they teach you the real fundamentals not only for shooting but for just general gun safety and thats the most important thing. u can be the best shot inthe world but if u shoot yourself in the foot cuz of a basic mistake then whats the point?

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ford Farmer
If you havn't learned any gun safety techniques, look them up. Airsoft weapons are great fun. sting, but dont break skin, or leave bruises, a typical airsoft gun from wallyworld may run you about thirty bucks. If you can find a indoor BB trap like I have, you can fire the weapon indoors, without worry of ricochet. I have many airsoft guns, and I would be happy to help you aout with them.

www.airsoftatlanta.com...

this is the place I go to for my airsoft weapons. Good Hunting

I have soem Airsoft guns, and i know all about them, belive me, and I also have a bb gun, and i would practice safe ownership, because i would take classes of course. What
is a 10/22? It sounds good, since its semi, and .22 caliber. Can i have a description, or link or something?

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
its made by Ruger and is called a 10/22

www.ruger-firearms.com...

Another choice as its also an auto loader is the Marlin model 60

www.marlinfirearms.com...

I happen to own one of the Marlins, and while its a great gun, but I think if zi were buying one (my Marlin was a gift) I would get the Ruger.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join