Humans Closest and Sex Mad Relative Under Threat of Extinction

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Many people would I say if asked which primate is the closest to humans state Chimpanzee. Well that is correct in a sense but what most people don’t realise is that it is not the type you see on TV or in films like Tarzan.

The closest primate to humans in a genetic sense is the Bonobo. Sometimes also known as the Pygmy chimpanzee. There is a real difference though in terms of behaviour, social structure and genetics. It is the most interesting of the primates and in ways seems even more advanced than Humans in its social and group structures. These truly are the Hippies of the primate world. they just want to play, have copious and large amounts of sex and don’t display aggression or pack hunting such as the common chimp does. They have very evolved emotions and are IMHO the most amazing creatures on the earth besides dolphins and some humans!

cute amazing things eh!

They are also the best Great Apes at walking on two feet - even when weighed down with their young. The booboos also use sex, or sexual stimulation, to solve disputes - as an alternative to violence. The sanctuary says the bonobo motto is "Make love, not war".

I wish we took some examples from this.! sounds fun.

These amazing creatures are now very close to extinction

Crispin Makamba is head of the Lola Ya Bonobo sanctuary. "We are afraid the bonobos will become extinct," he said. "We are concentrating on bonobos because there are far less of them than chimpanzees."

The young are extremely sensitive. Even if they are fed, they will die without maternal affection. Four women at the sanctuary act as substitute mothers, feeding and washing them. All the bonobos have their own names.

Henriette Lubondo has been caring for bonobos for seven years. She says the bonobo babies know which are "their mothers" and follow them around. "When they're being naughty and we tell them to stop, they do - sometimes," she says.

Bonobos are slow to reproduce, another reason why they are under such pressure. A female will nurse its young for four years and during that time will not give birth. Mr Makamba is trying to persuade people to stop eating monkeys and wants the bush meat trade banned.

Bonobos eat about 6kg of fruit, vegetables and nuts a day

longer than most humans look after their children carting them off to school and leaving with them with nannies and computer games!!

news.bbc.co.uk...

Photos and text: Joseph Winter on the BBC website above.

They truly are peacemakers look at the following:

This does not appear to be the behaviour of the Bonobo males or females, both of which seem to prefer sexual contact with their group rather than seek violent confrontation with outsiders. The Bonobo lives where the more aggressive Common Chimpanzee doesn’t live. Possibly the Bonobo has given a wide berth to their more violent and stronger cousins. Neither swim, and they generally inhabit ranges on opposite sides of the great rivers.

Sexual intercourse plays a major role in Bonobo society, being used as a greeting, a means of conflict resolution and post-conflict reconciliation, and as favours traded by the females in exchange for food. Bonobos are the only non-human apes to have been observed engaging in all of the following sexual activities: face-to-face genital sex (most frequently female-female, then male-female and male-male), tongue kissing, and oral sex.[1] In scientific literature, the female-female sex is often referred to as GG rubbing or genital-genital rubbing, while male-male sex is sometimes referred to as penis fencing

well im not sure about the Penis fencing, however :

Bonobos passed the mirror-recognition test for self-awareness in 1994. They communicate through primarily vocal means, although the meanings of their vocalizations are not currently known; however, we do understand their facial expressions[3] and some of their natural hand gestures, such as their invitation to play. Two Bonobos, Kanzi and Panbanisha have been taught a vocabulary of about 400 words which they can type using a special keyboard of lexigrams (geometric symbols), and can respond to spoken sentences. Some, such as bioethicist Peter Singer, argue that these results qualify them for the "rights to survival and life" rights that humans theoretically accord to all persons.

en.wikipedia.org...

I feel it is absolutely disgusting that this is not getting more attention and funding for protection, do what you can guys for them and appreciate what me have to learn from our closest relatives.

Kind regards and Bonobo Vibes:

Elf

any budding Chimpettes out there? lol

edit for spelling and images and wiki quote apoligies.

[edit on 15-9-2006 by MischeviousElf] Edit grammah and quotes

[edit on 15-9-2006 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Yes, and I bet if you did a survey in the street, hardly anyone would even know what a Bonobo is....

But then, why shouldn't we let them become extinct? After all, genocide is what homo sapien sapien seems to do best ...

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think its terrible when a species of animal is extinct because of cruel human nature.

In my eyes i think that all animals that are living deserve to atleast be treated equal to humans. Just because an animal is not as advanced/evolved as us doesnt mean we should take advantage of them.

Wyatt43

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Wyatt, I couldn't agree more with you. I first heard about the bonobos back in 1999. I began to learn about them and I also think they are amazing creatures. And we could learn alot from them.
One of the things they have been known to do is when a male becomes overly aggressive, several females will jump him and have sex with him until he is "stewed scrupid."
They are extremely affectionate creatures and it's a real wake up call when humanity's closest relative is in danger of extinction.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Well after learning more about these wonderful brothers of ours I have joined the following:

Bonobo Conservation society.

I have always been a member of the Jane Fossey foundation anyhow

Fossey Institute

Dian was a wonderful woman breaking the Patriarchal science of Anthropology, and bringing a greater understanding of the great apes to Humans then all the research previously.

She was Murdered in the wild with her chimps for trying to save them. A true heroine of the 20th century.

Wikis piece on her is very informative

Wiki and Fossey

Bonobos are the only other animal in the world besides humnas who also regularly practise the missionary position in sexual activities, looking closeyl into each others eyes!! No other animal besides humans and the Bonobos do this, or are physiologically designed to be able to easily.

I must say that I am surprised not more people are interested in this thread, especially as people will write for hours on the creationism vs evolution debate. well all the answers lies with the Bonobos and their split from the chimp genus only around 100,000 years ago, and the SINCE THEN change in genetic coding found in the modern bonobos.

If the world is under threat as some say, that it might all end, I just hope that as in 20012 a space odyssey scene, its the bonobos who repopulate the earth with a loving society, lots of tactile attention, matriarchal structure, control of male aggression and lots of sex!!! rather than the traditional Chimp picking up a club and starting war again, leading during evolution to a similar state of affairs that we are in now.

I truly believe this species has much to teach us and we should at all costs protect our closest relatives.

Regards

Elf

MischeviosulySadAtTheFutureProspectsOfTheBonobos

They walk better than some humans I know

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   

The booboos also use sex, or sexual stimulation, to solve disputes - as an alternative to violence.

I don't know why but the typo of booboos made me laugh.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by kurtcobainuk]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I truly believe this thread would get more response from a animal rights forum, because here people are interested in conspiracy things.

But you got my attention for sure.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This is very interesting to me.

I had known there was a monkey species that were, in many
ways nympho's, and that's definately not a bad thing, and I
had also known that Bonobos we're are closest relatives, but
I had'nt known that they were the same species.

I honestly think Bonobos are socially more advanced than us.
Heck, all we really have going for us is technology.

I was not aware that they were in danger of going extinct.

That is very sad.

I will definately be looking into Bonobo's more.

Also, why in the world do people eat Monkeys!?!?
I mean, they're so human, how could you eat one.

Great thread MischeviousElf.
Oh, and;

You have voted MischeviousElf for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

[edit on 1/4/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
GREAT thread Elf. Thanks.

I learned a LOT from the information you offered.

A well-deserved way above for you.

You have voted MischeviousElf for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Perhaps it is their non-violent lifestyle that is driving them towards extinction? I mean the whole evolution and survival part of life has to eventually deal with violent attacks from those who trying to outcompete you in the wild. If the bonobos do not fight back when more agressive primates begin expanding or moving into new territory, eventually they will just be phased out of our world.

This is a fact of ALL life on Earth, not just human/primate. Bacteria, bugs, fish, reptiles, mammals, birds all fight each other in many environments to stay alive. IMO, if these bonobos do not fight back, they will just be eliminated, and that is probably their destiny. Pacifist creatures do not win the fight in evolution, unless they are very good at camoflauge.

Just my opinion there.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It's astonishing they are going extinct already. I recommend the book "Our inner Ape" by Franz de waal. I wonder if I were to be thrown out in a bonobo habitat with just my homo sapien self.. could I possibly mingle with the bonobos? Or would the males kill me?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Thanks sofi

Dyepes maybe your on to something there, its tragic, however its not only these nice apes who are under threat of extinction all of out closest ancestors are:

Just a hundred years ago, roughly one million chimpanzees lived in the lush forests of equatorial Africa. Today, only about one tenth of that number remain due to habitat loss and human encroachment

PBS

Also the great apes

UNESCO

and as even the nasty form or more close to current human form of Chimp also displaying very deep spiritual and intellectual abilities such as

Chimpanzees have been reported to possess funeral rites and to take away the bodies of the deceased after death

Wikipedia

And the recent news that they use tools/spears

Chimpanzees in West Africa used stone tools to crack nuts 4,300 years ago

BBC ANCIENT TOOLS

Chimpanzees in Senegal have been observed making and using wooden spears to hunt other primates

BBC MODERN TOOLS

With all this surely in a way us humans have a choice now... looking at the past (chimp evolution) can help us plan for the future, so I believe truly mankind should be hoping and trying to evolve as the Bonobos and put our negative "chimp" like behaviour behind us.

We really should all care and protect for these cousins of ours, spread the word and decide who you want to spend time with in your community the Bonobos or gun touting Common Chimp?

Regards

Elf

MischeviouslyHavingBonoboFunWithMyChimpette

(certainly beats fighting and killing for time spent
)

edit spelling and links elf

[edit on 28-2-2007 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Well to be honest, I would prefer not to live like a Bonobo. There are many more productive things to do than be all huggy and sexual all day long.

Now from a sentimental standpoint, sure the extinction of these primates would be tragic. But from a practical view, will their extinction really have any negative impact on the human race other than loss of bio-diversity?

Like to be honest, if they went extinct tomorrow, I would say my prayers for them, and maybe attend the funeral of the last one, but I dont really think I would shed a tear. I will still be working the next day, war will still rage across the world, Hollywood will still be putting out movies and the assembly line will continue producing manufactured goods.

It is sad, but human society and globalism will continue unabated.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Dyepes,
I know what you mean, However as with all of these things humans are still learning, growing and understanding our own evolution through the observation of our cousins.

Once they are gone like modern humans now trying to understand the lives of dinosaurs through fossils, we can gain an understanding of the physiology of the animals, their food and environment... but not the most important things, their behaviour, group dynamics, beliefs and societical structures.

As we have observed a very huge difference in these things between common chimps and bonobos, with very little DNA difference (about the same variation as humans such as pygmies and and an Eskimo) but with massively different ways of life, behaviour and social structures, it surely points to the need for humans to explore and reopen the Nurture debate in relation to the very behaviour humans themselves would like to evolve past, such as the wars you talk about.

This is the whole point if we an learn through observing these wonderful animals what the main factors are in creating this unique behaviour and structure, which is obviously as pointed out above not based on DNA, or genetic heritage. This surely gives humanity hope that we too can choose to evolve in the way socially that they have, so Wars are a thing of the past. These creatures allow us to model and take on board the positive translatable parenting, male and female interaction, teaching and reactionary behaviour to threats they have to improve our society and life experiences.

Personally obviously humans are more evolved intellectually and in terms of body and physiology, though I believe we still are like common chimps in our societical structures, look at human gangs, like chimps hunting other primates for team work and fun (if you can call it that) with often no gain for the group as a whole except teamwork, infact what this behaviour does is only for the "strongest" to assume his place in the hierarchy within that society, creating division and control this is obviously the ancient behaviour that has lead to humans thinking they are evolved because they drop laser guided bombs onto innocent civilians, out technology, amazing stuff but with a more technological copying of basic chimp hunting behaviour.

I truly see very little difference between a president or leader starting a war, all the hot air and sabre rattling before hand (press / internet), and usually picking a weaker (perceived sic Iraq !) target, and using overwhelming force and numbers to "win the war".

Watch common chimps hunt another primate, you get the alpha male screeching and getting the whole group into a frenzy, the alpha male will then coerce the whole group through subjugation into compliance then usually if the prey is of a threatening nature will not actually risk his own life to kill it but allow its (head to be brought on a plate) by its next in line with the group. Also usually only the Alpha male and his chosen female chimps get to eat the meat, the ones doing all the work don’t get a reward, just do it for the emotional and learnt response and out of fear. NOW look at a typical war and compare?

Alpha chimp/ Human Leader .... gets excited or set on a course of action, creates the excitement within his group for this aim, Press UN speeches etc.

If anyone does not agree with the Alpha Male is driven from the group... well that’s politics for you!

If you try and oppose the Alpha Male/ Leader you are attacked yourself (soldiers executed for not going to war!)

The Alpha Male directs and leads the hunt but usually does not risk his own life ... well when was the last time a President picked up a gun in a war?

The conquest happens the strength of the Alpha Male/ Leader is now more solid, his powers of subjugation more and to boot he gets the spoils..... well what happened to the oil in Iraq? Good shares for all the construction and arms companies.

This chance will be lost forever for humans to choose to learn a new way of being of interacting and of how to deal with the balance of female and male energies that govern our world and lead to both great things i.e. male energies creating industry space exploration, science etc however also Wars, Aggression violence, and Female energy, Caring Families and teaching learning education, spirituality etc but on the down side for them inaction when needed superstitious and hesitant to get involved and make a change when necessary.

We need to keep the positive aspects of ourselves but learn from the bonobos and take on board new ones whilst shedding our animalistic behaviour in other regards. In a sense the bonobos are much more highly evolved, to have evolved passed war, murder and aggression is a wonderful thing surely?

Regards

Elf.

[edit on 2-3-2007 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well I just to add this here only slightly off topic as both of these animals are also now endangered species:

A pair of month-old Sumatran tiger twins have become inseparable playmates with a set of young orang-utans, an unthinkable match in their natural jungle habitat in Indonesia’s tropical rainforests.

The friendship between 5-month-old female baby primates Nia and Irma, and cubs Dema and Manis, has blossomed at the Taman Safari zoo

“This is unusual and would never happen in the wild,” said zookeeper Sri Suwarni, bottle-feeding a baby chimp yesterday. “Like human babies, they only want to play.”

Telegram

We have a lot to learn from these rapidly disappearing group of higher animals not just within the primate world. I mean tigers how can we let them die out?

Tigers Some Amazing Facts

Focused on Sumatran Tiger

The Marvellous Endangered Orang-utan

PS DYepes

There are many more productive things to do than be all huggy and sexual all day long.

Really? I cant think of anything more productive? or fun lol.

Regards

Bonobo vibes to all

Elf

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

That female Bonobo looks disinterested just like a few of my former girlfriends.

I'm sorry. Give me a warn. Back on topic.

Peace

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
War and fighting is not a human, or even primate trait, it is the primary means of survival for all forms of life. Inside not only our human bodies, but all animals is an immune system which wages a never-ending daily war against invasive bacteria and viruses that threaten to destroy us. It is from these single celled organisms which modern life has evolved, by be able to fight when it was needed.

the decision not to fight against a threat is a fluke and leaves vulnerable to injury and death.

If humanity decided to stop fighting tomorrow, and attempted to take on a pasifist ideology for the rest of our existence, we would undoubtedly eventually be destroyed by another for which diplomacy is not a realistic approach. Either that, or be pushed to the point where we finally decide once again to fight back.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Unfortunately the situation for our closest relatives across the entire species range is getting worse and worse. A new study highlights the catastrophe that humans are raining down on nearly all the primate species.

A global review of the world's primates says 48% of species face extinction, an outlook described as "depressing" by conservationists.

More than 70% of primates in Asia are now listed as Endangered, it adds.

The survey, involving hundreds of experts, showed that out of 634 recognised species and subspecies, 11% were Critically Endangered, 22% were Endangered, while a further 15% were listed as Vulnerable.

Asia had the greatest proportion of threatened primates, with 71% considered at risk of extinction. The five nations with the highest percentage of endangered species were all within Asia.

BBC

Never before has the decline in species of primates been soo quick and sudden, I wonder when Humans may face the same fate, from our own actions, the reactions of the environment.

On a more outlandish note, if we treat and see these close relatives of ours as we do, what would all the apparent visiting Alien species think of us?

If they offer us the same regard as we do to intelligent relatives as we do, well we are in real trouble, "BushMeat" to "EarthMeat" including humans? Who Knows eh.

KindRegards

MischeviousElf.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The apathy shown to this issue is reflected in the lack of interest in this thread and contributions!, and can be seen in the extrapolation of the importance human kind places on this issue with the reality of being a primate in todays world.

However its not only the amazing Bonobos who are very near to extinction

Monkeys and apes are trying to tell us something. After all, some of the non-human primates that share 98.5% of our genetic code can and do talk to us.

Take Kanzi, for instance; this bonobo chimp understands thousands of words, uses sentences, expresses emotions and concern for others; even talks on the phone.

A global review of the world's primates says 48% of species face extinction, an outlook described as "depressing" by conservationists.

The findings form part of the most detailed survey of the Earth's mammals, which will be published in October.

BBC

An amazing Documentary radio here on the talking chimps, kanzi;s relatives who watched her learn't with no human interaction and actually have a richer and more profound verbal skills.

Listen to Monkeys Talking here!

Kanzi's relative has been shown to actually make new words when a description for what she sees is not available.

She has done this with a Duck. Having never seen one before, and only knowing the word Bird for that type of Creature, she pondered and watched then excitedly pointed to the ducks, and put her sign for "water" and "bird" together.

However she did this so it wasn't water bird but "wet/waterbird" with no gap.

A primate created language!!!!!

we really really have to think about that!

So as time goes on we are learning that

a) Primates are much more intelligent than we have traditionally thought.

b) Some social activities and groups, sic Bonobo's are actually more advanced than humans, in a social structure and society way!

c) nearly all of them are very very very close to extinction!

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 10-8-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
most excellent thread elf!
i wanted to share that on a flight last week coming back from burbank, i read an article where they have found a whole new population of apes that were originally thought to have been down to less than 100,000 left.

this new discovery has added to that number quite a bit.

A grueling survey of vast tracts of forest and swamp in the northern Congo Republic has revealed the presence of more than 125,000 western lowland gorillas, a rare example of abundance in a world of rapidly vanishing primate populations.

gorillas found

and on related note, new orang-utans found

also some new bonobo friends discovered.
new bonobo population

[edit on 8/10/2008 by zooplancton]

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join