It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To See The World In A Grain Of Sand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I came accross this today in my travels accross cyberspace.

www.willard-wigan.com...

Statue of liberty in the eye of a needle

Bear cub on a grain of sugar

Cassius Clay v Sonny Liston

Cat on a Hair

These have to be the most amazing things I've seen in a long time. And the description of how he sculpts is amazing as well. Meditating to slow his heartbeat and respiration, and etching between heartbeats as to not destroy the delicate medium.

The smallest sculptures can only be measured in thousandths of an inch which is why they can sit, very delicately, on a human hair three thousandths of an inch thick. When working on this scale he slows his heartbeat and his breathing dramatically through meditation and attempts to harmonise his mind, body and soul with the Creator. He then sculpts or paints at the centrepoint between heartbeats for total stillness of hand. He likens this process to "trying to pass a pin through a bubble without bursting it." His concentration is intense when working like this and he feels mentally and physically drained at the end of it.

One must be extremely calm and centered to have the concentration required to do this. I see it as a yet untapped aspect of the human mind. Total and utter control of even the most delicate of movements.

[edit on 15-9-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
his stuff is amazing. so much patience, dedication and painstaking work, not to mention the years of practise it must have taken him.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
That's incredible. I had to go back and check that you said that cat was indeed on a hair.

I've heard stories about Buddhist monks meditating outside in blizzards, and another monk would then drape wet robes over his back so that his body heat would try them.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
lol i was acually sitting there finding all of these things trying to compare and make some sort of sense of how small these things acually are..and WOW they are pretty tinny...the one that got my amazment the most was the titanic..i dont know what kinda thread he used to make that wire arcoss the two stacks..but it must have been thinner then a piece of hair...thast just nuts

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I think it's crazy that he can only work between heartbeats. Not only that, but with a slowed heartbeat. It must take him forever to do this work.

Imagine the uses for this talent when it comes to microsurgery and nanotechnology. He could train people to do some crazy things.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm sure this was the same guy I saw on a chat show a while back. he said that he frequently passes out when doing his work as he has to hold his breath for so long when doing some of the more intricate stuff

CX

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
So he works in solitude and at night. Has anyone seen him actualy make these sculptures?

Think about it, why does he work at night? What comes out at night? Whats that small that could make tiny things?

Thats right, the fairies make them!

On a serious note, they are pretty cool are'nt they. What tools does he use for these sculptures? As someone who also works on smaller than normal projects, i'd be interested to see what he uses.

CX.

new topics

top topics

join