It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange noise Tuesday night / Wednesday morning over Western Kentucky....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
As I was awake sitting on my balcony doing some work the other night I heard the strangest aircraft sound. Nothing was visible in the sky but this noise was extremely loud. It had a sound like a normal jet except much louder and sounded like it was sucking in air and then expelling it in bursts. It struck me as odd due to a) the time b) the noise level and c) the fact it sounded as if it were traveling in bursts. The exact time of this event was about 2:32am. If anyone has any idea of what this could have been I would love to know.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Could be the pulse wave detonation engiens that the Aroura supposedly uses. People who hear it say that it sounds like "the sky being unzipped, but a few octives lower" Also, i've been to the Edwards AFB Airshow and each year they have a B1 bomber do a low pass flyby at .9 Mach. The sound it generated is like a deep roar not as loud as when the plane seems to be flying slower in my opinion with these characteristic backfire like booms- mini poorly formed sonic boom like things. They're really deep and are felt more in the chest, and damn the hangar complex ratlles like crazy when they do it. Doesn't really hurt the ears either. So maybe it's a fighter or something on excercises flying just sub mach. Any one else know what I'm talking about?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It could be, it just seems really odd as I have lived near military bases all my life, currently somewhat near Fort Campbell and have heard just about every type of jet they have that we know about. And this one just sounded so bizarre, best put sounding like a vaccuum cleaner and then a big expulsion of air or something. I have no idea, plus the fact it was so loud that late at night. Only one other time in my life have I heard them at night and that was because they had 10 choppers in the fields near my home practicing jumping out of them at night.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Sounds like some exotic new propusion engien. My guess is the aroura or something operarting on a similar principal then, cause if you have been around airbases most your life then you know what you're listining to and it probably was something new and strange.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Hey X,

Don't know if this is at all related considering you're in kentucky but here's a thread that talks about odd booms and noises in los angeles and san diego california:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Don't know if it'll help but figured it couldn't hurt.

Spiderj

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I've heard about those booms around LA even though I my self have not heard them. I live out there. I think caltec even busted the airforce and called them on it because it was regularly tripping their siesmographs at specific times of the day traveling along the same route. I have seen wierd glowing objects at night time cross the sky from horizon to horizon in about 30 seconds. The objects are usually the same color and magnitude of a modest star-look sorta like satallites,but are traveling way too fast sometimes disapear and reappear with a streak of blue light matching their own luminecence. and sometimes sloloming while casting off very feint sparks at the appex of the sloloms. Everytime they are around 10-10:30 at night weekdays and heading from the pacific ocean to the general direction of Edwards AFB. Anybody heard,seen, of know of such activity? Oh yeah it happened durring the summer of 2002-and 03 but I haven't seen them since although I'm not really looking up so much anymore. Moved to a new house without the outdoor jacuzzi in which to stare at the night timesky.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
i'm also in the western ky area, and i heard it too! like a low, slow jet, flying back and forth.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Let's remember the stealth characteristic of B-2 class aircraft.
Do you really think you would, save if you lived quite close to the landing strip, be able to hear the engines of a classified Aurora-Class machine?

Think about it.

And don't you imagine a pulse-detonation engine might be a bit .. un-stealthy?

[edit on 5-10-2006 by Iblis]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Don't know where the B2 came in unless you are referring to the time Ben Rich claimed the whole Aroura business was just the umbrella name for any aviatorial black project of that era. B1 was loud was what I said. The pulse detonation Scramjet has been the proposed method of propulsion for the supposed Aroura, which has an obvious need in our current inventory.
B1-loud not stealthy
B2- quiter, and pretty stealthy
Aroura-so damn loud it creates small tremors picked up on richterscales miles away, and from all the way up near 85K to 125K feet. Aroura and B2 big difference.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Ah! Forgive me. I'd thought a reconaissance plane would have to keep some level of mystique about it.

[As it was intended to replace the Blackbird.]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I also experiance the same thing like 1:30 in the morning, about twice a week, and i used to think it was a weird airplane too, till i saw it, it was just a fighter jet flying really low, like in a patrol.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Doesn't look like they designed it to be stealthy. Recon doesn't have to be stealthy. We have satellites to be stealthy. The Aroura's job is to rush to recently unforseen contingencies and get photos of them because the satellites aren't anywhere near them at the time. It's supposed to be able to get anywhere in the world really damned fast before either the evidence/data they are hoping to capture is gone, or before people get a chance to move the object of question undercover. The Aroura isn't intended to be stealthy just effective. It has a niche role and sticks to it I'm sure. The sr-71 wasn't stealthy either. True it had a pretty low radar cross section, but you can see it tear ass across the sky really well with IR, and it was incredibly loud. So much so that cevilians who didn't know about the then black aircraft would call local Air Force stations to complaine about loud aircraft, sometimes even damage due to it's vibrations. THe sr-71 sometimes got the nickname "Thors Hammer" for a reason, cause it was loud as hell.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Hi. I heard this to. I'm from Scotland and I heard the exact same noise at 2:30am, TUESDAY!. 3 days ago I seen a white line going from the ground into the sky with something so small I couldn't really see it, but I've did research on Google and it appears to be an aurora aircraft.

[edit on 15-3-2010 by Cairns]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Ok, here's where the noob gets laughed off the forum....

What you described - perfectly matches the whining-sucking-whooshing then pop-bang sound of the only jet engine I'VE ever been near or heard up close:
Bob Motz jet powered Kenworth.
Before you all fall down laughing, check the link YouTube and watch the whole video.
I'm not saying you had a giant Kwhop flying around over your head, I'm just saying your description of the sound, matches that jet truck.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The US military has been using UAVs equipped with experimental pulse-jet technologies for some time now, in the USA there have been other similar reports from witnesses who have heard that sound as well.

If you read the article linked in my previous post you should be able to see why this technology is perfect for use in a UAV application, where very long surveillance hours may be required.

It can stay up there for much longer than conventional powered UAVs. while consuming much less fuel.

It is interesting, your report, because I happen to be in Western Kentucky right now.

Have been and will be here for a few days.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
What is more interesting is that the OP was posted on...

posted on 15-9-2006 @ 09:00 AM

and recently bumped.

Curiouser and curiouser.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It sounds like a large turbocharger spooling up followed by subsequent release of boost pressure. You stated there was nothing in the sky. Are you sure your neighbor isn't tweaking his import in his garage?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Don't be surprised if you hear of similar reports of this from in and/or around the Louisville area over the next 48 hours.

However, you'll need to listen very carefully because noise suppression technology for this pulse-jet engine has dramatically improved.

You'll likely only hear it if it is very near your location, or while accelerating to gain altitude, or perhaps during take off.

Once in surveillance mode, its very quiet and stealthy, especially at night.

Yes, they are going to be watching, listening and scanning.

See you there.

new topics

top topics

join