It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US / Canada Border Fence

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I don't know how to feel about this. As a Canadian, I would like to think that our security issues are getting better, rather than lacking.

The building of a fence between Can/US seems a bit extreme. I realize the problem the US has in the southern states, but is the problem really that out of control in the North.

Although I do take 'some' offense to this, albeit only a 'study' at this time, I do understand security is of the up most importance on all our borders.

WASHINGTON (CP) - The U.S. House of Representatives has again endorsed a study on building a security fence along the Canada-U.S. border.

The politicians passed the measure by a vote of 283-138 Thursday in a bill that also authorizes a 1,126-kilometre barrier along the border with Mexico to deal with illegal immigrants

www.canada.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It'd be interesting which side of the St Lawrence the fence would go on. Also, how would we 'fence' the Great Lakes. I see no problem on the prairies, but those pesky Rocky Mountains are going to be a bit of a challenge.

I just don't see this plan as realistic. Looks good on paper...

"Let's build a fence between Canada and US!"

Now, how do we do that?
Um.....

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Are they gonna stop the Gun smugglers from coming north? No you say? Then who cares....

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
is it possible that all this talk about fences could actually be to keep americans in??? what if because of secret talks of a draft they may implement we are being barred in so we cant flee the war effort. i can understand (if only barely) the fence along the mexican border, but canada? i dont think anything bad comes from canada except good pot (not that im opposed to that either). i just think its weird that after all the "spreading of democracy" that we could now start fencing ourselves in and begin a policy of isolationism.

[edit on 9/15/2006 by bokinsmowl]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by bokinsmowl
is it possible that all this talk about fences could actually be to keep americans in???

I doubt that. A fence will do no good, it's a waste of tax dollars.

a) A terrorist/Gun Smuggler is obviously motivated and a fence will not stand in their way or delay them from doing what they do.

b) If there's a big enough reason for Americans to flee the states a fence will not slow them down. Especially if it's on a large scale.

c) Politics aside. I think having an "open" border with no barriers and fences is good for Canaian/US relations. A fence will only distance Canada and the US from each other.....kind of like Mexico and the US is now.

EDIT: Yes, I think a fence between the US and Mexico is good.

[edit on 15/9/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
c) Politics aside. I think having an "open" border with no barriers and fences is good for Canaian/US relations. A fence will only distance Canada and the US from each other.....kind of like Mexico and the US is now.

The big reasons we in the southwest USA don't like mexico are because:

a) mexico refuses to extradite known criminals back to the USA for proper punishment.

b) mexico deals with it's internal problems by foisting them on the USA (overpopulation, lack of education, high rate of unemployment, 97% of population at/below poverty line, extremely high crime rate)

c) mexico supports cross border drug traffic, people smuggling and gun smuggling

d) mexico sucks, yeah its cool when you're a college kid out for a night of guzzling alcohol and getting cheap drugs and pussy, but aside from the extra secure, extra clean tourist spots, mexico sucks.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The more I think of it, the more I wonder how they would monitor the fence.

Illegals can scale fences now south of the border, what would stop them from scaling these fences?

Just had a thought.... are all Canadians going to be considered "Illegal Aliens" if they do not go through a check point of some type?

*** starts to hum a Phil Collins song ***

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop
The big reasons we in the southwest USA don't like mexico are because:

I think you missed the big "politics aside" part of my post. If we had the same problems with Canada the a fence would be good, but we don't.

I understand the reason for having a fence on the southern border, imo we need a wall. But a fence between the US and Canada....wtf.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Why paying for a fence when we will be a part of the North American Union with no more sovergnity and no borders? In 2010, a highway will go throught Mexico,USA and Canada... with no need to pass through customs. This is just bullshiat.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The northern border is just as vulnerable as the southern border, if not more so. We don't really have a problem with Canadians flooding the country illegally, but that's not really the point. The point should be, what can we do to make the border more manageable for the Border Patrol?

[edit on 2006/9/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Why bother? It won't matter in 2010! No borders, a lot of illegal immigration? Answer me why we should bother if everything we'll do will be wasted in 2010, and it'll begin in december 2007.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Why bother? It won't matter in 2010! ...and it'll begin in december 2007.

I'm sorry. I keep getting my catastrophe predictions confused. What will begin in 2007?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
In december 2007, the NAFTA will begin with 100 mexicans trucks corporations. So those 100 trucks corporations will be able to pass through the NAFTA highway without being inspected, so they could have inside their trucks drugs, illegal mexicans, guns, ect... And it's not a prediction, it's a fact.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Thanks.

I had forgotten about that, but with all the dates of predicted doom, you can't blame me for being confused.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Xenophobia, the wave of the new generation.

Xenophobia denotes a phobic attitude toward strangers or of the unknown. It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "foreigner," "stranger," and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear." The term is typically used to describe fear or dislike of foreigners or in general of people different from one's self. For example, racism is sometimes described as a form of xenophobia, but in most cases racism has nothing to do with a real phobia. Xenophobia implies a belief, accurate or not, that the target is in some way foreign. Prejudice against women cannot be considered xenophobic in this sense, except in the limited case of all-male clubs or institutions. The term xenophilia is used for the opposite behavior, attraction to or love for foreign persons. Xenophobia may be a natural tendency in humans, as such behaviour is common among other animals.

Source

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
Xenophobia, the wave of the new generation.

I don't think this really plays into the equation.

I think the main purpose is for proper monitoring of who enters & leaves the USA.
Terrorist or not.

A fence may look like progress on paper... but not when your viewing from the other side.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Are we really to believe that America is fencing off it boarders in the name of illegal immigration?
Please

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Guy Fawkes
Are we really to believe that America is fencing off it boarders in the name of illegal immigration?

What would be the reason, then? Would it be to keep Americans in? Do we have the problem that East Germany had during the Cold War?

[edit on 2006/9/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
all I know is that when it's time to build that fence along the Southern border, sign me up, I'll go help put it up.

As for the Northern border... I don't care one way or another.... right now anyway...

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Do we have the problem that East Germany had during the Cold War?

Not at the moment, but if the time comes Americans have already agreed to have the fence up.
The trick it to get the people to want these things so there is no opposition for when it is used against Americans.

Honestly, a fence between Canada and the U.S.? A fence between the planets greatest allies? Canada is America's BFF. The symbolism alone should be enough for people to question such a thing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join