It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Left in Mexico Giving Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
MAN! It sure is hard to lose.

In an election fraught with allegations of scandal and Floridian style miscount accusations, the Mexican Left has slowly given up and are moving their tents out of the capital.

Leftist’s Backers End Blockade in Mexico City

MEXICO CITY, Sept. 14 — Supporters of a leftist candidate who narrowly lost the presidential election this summer were tearing down five miles of tents on Thursday that have blockaded this capital’s central avenues for six weeks.

Having lost a legal battle for a full recount, and facing a steady defection of supporters, Mr. López Obrador is now striving to find a way to remain a political force over the coming six years, while Felipe Calderón, a conservative, serves as president.

In recent days, Mr. López Obrador has decided to lift his blockade in the heart of the capital, which has caused weeks of chaos and tension, and avoid a conflict with the military during its annual parade on Saturday.

And Carlos Fuentes, the giant of Mexican letters, also assailed Mr. López Obrador this week for continuing to insist there was widespread fraud in the election, while he never challenged the elections of his party’s members to the Legislature.

“There could have been fraud in the Chamber of Deputies, there could have been fraud in the Senate, but there wasn’t,” he said. “There was only fraud for the presidency of the republic. How strange, no? I don’t believe it.”
Source

Losing an election seems to be more about emotions then principles in Mexico.

Having been a major election in which numerous party seats changed hands, the left only purported voter fraud in the Presidential Election thereby shedding a false light on their allegations.

Also reminiscent of our own troubled election, the Mexican President refrained from making negative comments or responding to negative comments during the controversy. Choosing instead to take a "higher road" and work at reuniting the country.

Semper

Mod Edit: Shortened link

[edit on 9/24/06/24 by junglejake]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Semper how can you be sure that the election WASN'T fraudulent. I have read that it was our U.S. govt which fixed the election in Mexico. Our own GAO declared the U.S. 2004 election to be fraudulent, why wouldn't they do it in Mexico? I'm interested to hear why you think the election was honest.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   
It's not so much I think it was not fraudulent. I mean it is Mexico right? Land of corrupt politicians, police on the take and Tijuana.

It is the way that their system is set up. The contention that if the presidential election was fixed, then why not the other seats?

More than that, lets say the election was rigged; That would make it an election falling well within the norm for Mexico, so why the protest?

Do you think the other candidate was on the up and up?????

Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that he did not do some rigging of his own???

Perhaps our Government did "fix" the election there FL, it's not like we have not "assisted" in other elections before. That is a perfectly well used, use of foreign policy....

But until more proof comes in, I am hesitant to post that label. As far as I have found out, that is only that, rumor.

Really FL, I was posting a "Breaking News" story, I have no dogs in this fight.

It could be just as you state.

Semper

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Thanks for the clarification Semper.
And now the Left plans on having a "parallel" government, whatever that means. This could get really interesting and really weird.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Should be something to watch alright.

Semper

top topics

join