It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Apocalypse Watch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
since ats has its fair share of "end of the world threads", and since ats is on top of every single new event in the world, i think it would be neat to have the official ATS Apocalypse Watch.

this would be similar to the doomsday clock, but not so similar that they could sue.
en.wikipedia.org...

the doomsday clock uses minutes till midnight. the ats watch could use hours and minutes and even seconds. i want input from you to see how it could work.

does anyone else think this is a cool idea?

imagine logging on to ats and seeing the ats apocalypse watch has moved one hour closer to midnight. some good threads or events around the world would have this impact .

the invasion of iraq, the recent isreal incursion into beruit, or north koreas missle test would have affected the watch.

the time till the end could mostly be decided on by the owners and mods but a little part of the time could be decided on by the members. it could become a community thing.

wouldnt it have been fun to see the ats apocalypse watch move 15 minutes closer to midnight during the aug 22 paranoia , just to be moved back on aug 23.

if anyone else thinks this would be groovy, tell me how you think it could work.

my idea probably sucks, but if more people throw some ideas out, i think it could become something workable.

im just bored but i decided to throw this idea out. what do you all think?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I think that this is an excelant idea ,and think that it should go with the boadland secuirty thing at the bottom.

but as you can see the Boardland Secuirty image isnt kept with threads like the 8/22 thread that should hve affected the Boardland Secuirty.

TRw

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
We'd actually talked about setting one up, and there was some experimental software in place for it. I'm not sure what happened with the idea, though.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Once upon a time, I sat next to a fellow on a long distance airline flight who worked for the institution that keeps up the doomsday clock. He told me that although they sift a lot of data, it's still largely a subjetive thing.

If you could set up a group of ATS members with academic credentials, they might be able to sift the recommendations made by board members and hten vote, with majority rule being the standard. I'm sure there are plenty of people here besides me with academic credentials.

You could certain make it work with ad space around it, too.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
i had 40 views on this thread last nite and not one comment. i felt like a dolt and figured my idea was lame.

i think it would be a cool to have something such as the watch, now i just wonder what happened to the old idea. if enough people spit out some ideas to fine tune the idea , maybe a simple formula could be created and it could be something to pay attention to.

it would only need updated once a week or anytime something BIG happens. if anyone else likes the idea say something , or just tell me its dumb

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
or..

we could have an official ATS end of the world cult?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Are we all going to die, again?

Roper

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
yeah couldn't we do something a little more frivolous and upbeat like say a "Baywatch" watch.

Anytime you see a rerun of baywatch just post a jiggly screen capture.

And ladies you can get in on this too don't be afraid to post some Baywatch boy candy.

I mean sure we may not see the apocolypse coming but will we care? I think not.

Gigity:

www.tvacres.com...

Spiderj

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Also for the clock you should be able to click on it. This would bring you to page with a list of countdowns. Each countdown is to a time of a doomsday theory time; these should be decided by the ATS modirators, to have at least some bit of plausibilty to them. Then we could see all the possible doomsday times.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
or..

we could have an official ATS end of the world cult?

i was unaware this was a cult.
en.wikipedia.org...
those damn atomic satanist.

the idea isnt to say the world is going to end. its a way to monitor world tension.
simliar to the doomsday clock.

Originally posted by Roper
Are we all going to die, again?

Roper

if you are going to make an attempt at humor, at least make it minutely funny.

Originally posted by Spiderj
yeah couldn't we do something a little more frivolous and upbeat like say a "Baywatch" watch.

Anytime you see a rerun of baywatch just post a jiggly screen capture.

And ladies you can get in on this too don't be afraid to post some Baywatch boy candy.

I mean sure we may not see the apocolypse coming but will we care? I think not.

Gigity:

www.tvacres.com...

Spiderj

i feel like im repeating myself, but i ask if you try to be funny, at least BE FUNNY. baywatch jokes went dry in the 90s. i hate to be picky but i ask the clowns, can you be funny with your jokes, or be original at least. tyvm

thanks for serious replys in this thread.

peace

[edit on 15-9-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Technical Difficulties

I like this idea, but there's just one little problem.

Around here, it's always Half Past Doomsday.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
the paranoid threads will be maybe 1% of the equation. those will just add fun to it.

this website is on top of any and all news in the whole world. ats is always on top of important news most websites ignore.

those would be the biggest factors involved.

Originally posted by Majic

Around here, it's always Half Past Doomsday.

sometimes its mere seconds to armageddon around here

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   

if you are going to make an attempt at humor, at least make it minutely funny.

Yeesh everyones a critic. You try and inject a little levity into the apocolypse and that's the thanks you get.

You try working this board without going blue.

Aint easy.

Spiderj

EDit to add: As for Baywatch there aren't a lot of shows with "watch" in the title. And it's iconic, hasselhoff and cheese are timeless.

[edit on 9/15/2006 by Spiderj]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i love humor , but that was too many thread derailing post in a row for me.

i made this thread in all seriousness.

your highly intelligent spiderj, i want input from people like you not insult to my thread.

at least some people understand what i was envisioning.

i must go now, baywatch is on.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I fully get the intention of your post but the possibility of any sort of accurate apocolypse clock is nigh impossible.

What constitutes an apocolypse are we looking for religious or scientific signs. Who will interpret this data how will it be calculated.

For every answer there are ten more questions, predicting the end of the world in any form with any accuracy is basically impossible. Even if just an experiment.

Also lets not kid ourselves, the possiblity of some people taking the apocolypse clock too seriously is not far out of the realm of possibility.

To many X's so I opted to cheese with the humor.

Just because I mock, doesn't mean I'm not paying attention.

Spiderj

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj
I fully get the intention of your post but the possibility of any sort of accurate apocolypse clock is nigh impossible.

What constitutes an apocolypse are we looking for religious or scientific signs. Who will interpret this data how will it be calculated.

Yeah, this would be a sticking point...who defines what are legitimate signs of apocalypse, which means having to define "apocalypse" to everyone's satisfaction.

It is an interesting idea, though. Maybe several "watches", each representing a specific form of apocalyptic thought. There are several in mainstream Christianity alone, not to mention offshoots and the major non-Christian religions or secular worldviews.

Imho it is an interesting thought elitegamer23.

And SpiderJ, after studying various Christian eschatology over the last 30 years I can tell ya'...sometimes ya' just gotta' laugh.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
We'd actually talked about setting one up, and there was some experimental software in place for it.

Yeah, what ever happened with that? I recall that someone had a working prototype that they volunteered. I think this is a job for "The Overlord".

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I've had a chance to kick this around and talk it over with some people I trust. I don't think we can get the community to agree on just what constitutes an "event" worthy of affecting the clock or meter.

A group of ATS Subject Matter Experts, Conspiracy Masters, and anyone else the top brass thinks would round out the p.o.v.'s...could be appointed to draft those standards. With published standards, anyone could submit events for consideration. The group that drafts those standards could then vote on the event, with majority rule carrying the day.

This is what I can back with for now. Too many cooks can spoil the soup. Even with published criterion, and comedy, a lot of it will still be subjective. Maybe we could do a war meter or a war clock? These can be set for individual nations, groups of nations, or just one by itself for WW3.

For those who want political comedy, how about establishing a forum for all the funny things politicians around the world say or do. Throw in the funny media stuff to boot. that's all I've got. Good night.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
this idea isnt to completely predict the end of the world. just a sort of temp guage of the world. the more fhit that hits the shan would give us the chance to say we are closer to total chaos then we were yesterday.

major event such as 9/11, isreal vs hezbollah , or a war in iran could affect the clock by an hour or more.

simple events such as a north korean missle test, a flare up in kashmir, or the pope pissing off muslims could move the time 1 min to 59 min, depending on the significance. terrorist attacks around the world such as bali, or 7/7 or 3/11 would maybe fit such a group.

trivial or less significant events such as an election problem in mexico or ukraine, a spread of bird flu to america, or aug 22 type threads could move the time 0-59 seconds. many many items could fit this category. if you have one election problem its not such a deal, if you have 3 including a usa election problem, them together adds up to something that is a bigger deal.

im not saying this is HOW it could be, im just throwin ideas out on how to solve what EVERYONE would consider a move towards world chaos. also the actual doomsday clock could be figured into the equation. this is an idea that is meant to evolve with more ideas from you people. anyone have any ideas?

if your diet consist of cheese, bts might be the place for you. this idea is meant to be discussed not mocked.
peace

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
I don't think we can get the community to agree on just what constitutes an "event" worthy of affecting the clock or meter.

Justin has a good point here...accurately determining what actually is a significant event in the bigger picture. This is often unapparent until more time for historical perspective has been gained; events which seem insignificant may prove to be of crucial significance in historical perspective, while more "spectacular" events may prove to be less so.

Consider the Great Lisbon Earthquake of 1755: many Christians of the "Historicist" school of eschatology believed this to be an extremely significant event in the prophetic countdown, and many still do. But the primary eschatological "school of thought", in conservative Christianity at least, has switched to the pre-dispensational model (which is also in the process of being challenged) and the Lisbon Earthquake's significance in that model is downplayed. Yet, it was a major event for it's time.

The same could be said of the American Civil War. Many Christian groups viewed this in terms of an impending Apocalypse, yet it proved not to be so, at least in the manner in which they were thinking.

I am speaking here only of Protestant Christian models, not to denigrate other forms but because it is the area with which I am most familiar.

To Native Americans the fact that a White Buffalo was recently birthed (the third one in a short period) could be of great significance because it holds great significance in that culture, but it probably wouldn't make the radar of more conservative Christian expositors.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join