It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Qaeda decides to join union with Algerian terrorists to target France.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

PARIS - Al-Qaida has for the first time announced a union with an Algerian insurgent group that has designated France as an enemy, saying they will act together against French and American interests.

Current and former French officials specializing in terrorism said Thursday that an al-Qaida alliance with the Salafist Group for Call and Combat, known by its French initials GSPC, was cause for concern.

"We take these threats very seriously," Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy said, adding in an interview on France-2 television that the threat to France was "high" and "permanent," and that "absolute vigilance" was required.

Al-Qaida's No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahri, announced the "blessed union" in a video posted this week on the Internet to mark the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States.

France's leader have repeatedly warned that the decision not to join the U.S.-led war in Iraq would not shield the country from Islamic terrorism. French participation in the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Lebanon could give extremists another reason to strike.

Even if France didn't join the U.S. led invasion of Iraq. They will still be targeted, especially as member of NATO and helping the fight against Taliban and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

bih

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
actually its the other way around.they joined Al Qaeda

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Even if France didn't join the U.S. led invasion of Iraq. They will still be targeted, especially as member of NATO and helping the fight against Taliban and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

This comment by Deltaboy is misleading and slightly wrong.

I believe there are still aggravated communities in Algeria that still remember the agressive tactics used by the frenchmen before (colonial period) and after WW2.
The terrorist threat from Algeria has especially been strong after ww2 and with climaxes in the 1970`s, now facing another economic leverage of finances from leading arab oligarchs who support their cause. Why terrorists join up from a former colony does not need explanation and is certainly not directly from a war in Iraq or Afganisthan.
Do I say the war in Iraq and Afganisthan doesn`t count? Of course not. But I find Deltaboy`s comment a little questionable in that way that it implies a contradiction: "Even if France didn't join the U.S. led invasion of Iraq.".

Even if? Whatabout even if terrorist history goes beyond 9/11 and the intervention in Iraq?

And the misconception about France`s membership in NATO is a root cause for the "news story" about Al-Qaeda joining forces with Algerian terrorists.
Interconnection between terrorists in Algeria and elsewere goes even back to Carlos the Jackal`s days and beyond that.

The news value of Al-Qaeda and Algeria is nothing new and has been predicted and accounted for in analytical circles.

"We take these threats very seriously," Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy said, adding in an interview on France-2 television that the threat to France was "high" and "permanent," and that "absolute vigilance" was required.

And that has been said before to mesmerize and frighten people.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Vader

This comment by Deltaboy is misleading and slightly wrong.

Misleading and wrong? How about the article? Lets see what it says.

France's leader have repeatedly warned that the decision not to join the U.S.-led war in Iraq would not shield the country from Islamic terrorism. French participation in the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Lebanon could give extremists another reason to strike.

Do I say the war in Iraq and Afganisthan doesn`t count? Of course not. But I find Deltaboy`s comment a little questionable in that way that it implies a contradiction: "Even if France didn't join the U.S. led invasion of Iraq.".

No this isn't just about France's history with terrorism related to Algeria, its about Al Qaeda. What I'm pointing out is that Al Qaeda decides to join with Algerian terrorists against France. People have assume that the U.S. and some of its allies have been targeted by Al Qaeda because of Iraq. For example the bombings in Spain and Britain. Now Al Qaeda has decided to join against France. Al Qaeda is not an Algerian group fighting against French imperialism...why should they? They originated from Afghanistan not Algeria, what business does Al Qaeda have against France, except to say that France has troops in Afghanistan. Think of it like Chechen terrorists against Russia. The Chechens don't spread out to target other countries. Or Palestinians fighting against Israel but doesn't target overseas.

But then Al Qaeda has become a global network that has spread throughout the world and has supported many local terrorist groups in their respective countries like Thailand or the Phillipines for example.

[edit on 15-9-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
These terrorist groups have one thing in common, and that is that they hate the west.
Al-Qaeda has been operative for years and years. It is still nothing of value or any new to a story that Al-Qaeda will join their forces with other organizations.

I have to quote you:

what business does Al Qaeda have against France, except to say that France has troops in Afghanistan?

Ok, I don`t want to spoonfeed people but Al-Qaeda is in a state of war with the west and the war was not primarily a result of of Iraqi intervention, they were at war before the occupation. You have to look at history. It is another aspect in all parts of allies, and that is the two side perspectives of who allies ally to and why. Try to grasp the larger perspectives and do not seek the sensationalist path. I will not go further into this.

And another quote:

Think of it like Chechen terrorists against Russia. The Chechens don't spread out to target other countries.

That is a question on what terms you look(perspective) at the conflict, remember the two sides of a case. 1. For Chechens rebels, Chechnya is a sovereign nation. 2. For Russia, Chechnya is part of Russia and not a country. 3. From a Chechen perspective their acts of terror has been in Russia and other central caucasian states(foreign countries). 4. If you think like a russian nationalist, terrorists are operating on domestic soil.
I consider your wievs a flawed and not valid. That`s a matter of opinion.
And at last:

But then Al Qaeda has become a global network that has spread throughout the world and has supported many local terrorist groups in their respective countries like Thailand or the Phillipines for example.

This is just like the other populist generalization of a complex topic. Not relevant, but only relevant to people who doesn`t have any foreknowing of the spread of terrorism. I could say the same about Islam: Islam spread to many countries.(vage generalization)

As I said before the Algerian terrorists hooking up with Al-Qaeda is old news and has been calculated into future predictions of international politics and geostrategy.

Let us give Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy the answer.(from Deltaboys linked article)

Sarkozy said it was "not by chance" that al-Qaida used the emblematic Sept. 11 date to announce the insurgency movement's alliance with al-Qaida. "But there is nothing new," he added, noting that the GSPC had done the same three years ago.

The conclusion still stand, this story about Al-Qaeda and Algerian groups is very old news, analyzed and nothing but sensation seeking "oogha-boogha".
I believe Deltaboy should take notice of Sarkozy`s remark.

[edit on 15-9-2006 by Dark Vader]

[edit on 15-9-2006 by Dark Vader]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I give frace six months before they surrender.
Hell they already did during last years fire bombing riot.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
and funny how idiot jews blame this on iran.

[edit on 15-9-2006 by Mehran]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
TOPIC:
Al Qaeda decides to join union with Algerian terrorists to target France.

FORUM:
War on Terrorism

TWO PREVIOUS POSTS:
Off-topic, irrelevant and in no way contribute to furthering this discussion.

Please keep your responses On-Topic, otherwise DO NOT POST!

Thank you.

new topics

top topics

join