It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speech From Pope Outrages Muslim Leaders

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Please remember, all those who condem Muslims on the basis of their faith, that the armed forces of the United States and their allies are currently rampaging through Iraq and Afghanistan Because God told George W Bush that it was his will:

"President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, "George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan." And I did, and then God would tell me, "George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq …" And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, "Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East." And by God I'm gonna do it.'"

Source.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The Parliament in Pakistan adopted a resolution on Friday condemning the Popes comments about Islam and seeking an apology from him. The resolution was moved by hardline lawmaker Fazal Karim.

Pakistan's parliament on Friday unanimously adopted a resolution condemning Pope Benedict XVI for making what it called "derogatory" comments about Islam, and seeking an apology from him for hurting the sentiments of Muslims.

The resolution, moved by hardline lawmaker Fazal Karim, was supported by both government and opposition lawmakers in the National Assembly or lower house of parliament.

Chaudhry Ameer Hussain, speaker of the National Assembly, allowed Karim to move the resolution after Karim said the pope had insulted Islam and the Prophet Muhammad, and hurt the sentiments of the entire Muslim world by making "derogatory remarks".

Sorce News

It was said more responce to this would come out on Friday, I am sure this is just one of many.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
To clarify my earlier post,
I dont think that all muslims are violent, but the comment about the religion being built upon the sword is technically correct...

it originally did start to gain favor largely due to the inner wars among tribes, and the begining tenants were mostly addressing how to war mercifully with opposing cultures...
(rules for proper war, and conversion- so forth)

so yes, it was "built upon the sword", but that is not how it has evolved, with the exception of the holdouts of the old extremism.

and sorry to use this copout, but Yes, other religions owe their beginings to that as well...

it seems that war brings out the religion in all of us...
or maybe religion brings out the war?

and the popes comments, while being truthful, were not tackful, or presented in clear context, so I can understand the fuss over them...

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
can you add another source?

Yahoo.com had it ...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The tolerant Pakistani muslim response?

"Anyone who describes Islam as a religion as intolerant encourages violence," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said....She said Muslims had a long history of tolerance,

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
As if the catholic church has never committed evil and inhuman acts in their time.
Full of hypocrisy, as usual.

[edit on 15/9/06 by shanti23]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by shanti23
As if the catholic church has never committed evil and inhuman acts in their time.

As I said earliet in this thread -

Yes the catholic church did horrinle things but they grew up and realised it was wrong. Some Muslim nations havent seemed to have realised that yet.

What is wrong with someone who has been there and experienced it all saying - "hey guys, I dont think is a good idea, we did it and it didnt help our cause at all"

Maybe the Muslim extremists should learn from the Catholic churches mistakes? Instead of repeating them.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hey the Pope is only human. Why should muslims be allowed to complain all the time, but not the rest of the free world. After all we do have free speech. Can Muslims or islamics claim the same? No of course not it is their way or no way. No thank you.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Originally posted by Ezekiel

I get really sick of this argument.

"Well christians did it too!"

Yes but they grew up and realised it was wrong. Some Muslim nations havent seemed to have realised that yet.

Ezekiel,
Yes this is true, I was pondering how to say that also.
Thanks for makeing the statment.

They(christians) are an older religious faith then Muslims don't forget, this is maybe at a point where they will realize this too,

"He(pope) is only adding fuel to the fire"

IMHO

Peace

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Whys is this any different from say Bush or T.Blair criticising the Islam Religion?

From what I read the Vatican says the Pope meant no offence what so ever in his speech with regards to Islam religion.

He quoted a 14th Century Christian Emperor:

Speaking in Germany, the Pope quoted a 14th Century Christian emperor who said the Prophet Muhammad had brought the world only "evil and inhuman" things

Source

As far as im concerned the popes comment were not anti islamic, he was only trying to prove a point.

But everyon is entitiled to their opinion.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
When aren't the muslims raging over something. Seems like they out in the streets in a rage about something new every couple of days and everyone babies them until they are happy again. These fanatics are like 2 year old kids. It is starting to get old.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by shanti23

[edit on 15/9/06 by shanti23]

I think you are comparing apples to oranges here..... surely we shall see just how "peaceful" they are when they start rioting. Then we shall see the minioity of extremists fill the streets.

df1

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekiel
"Well christians did it too!"

Yes but they grew up and realised it was wrong. Some Muslim nations havent seemed to have realised that yet.

I hate to break it to you, but the president constantly invokes his christian God to justify waging war against muslims. It doesnt seem to me that christians have grown up yet, however the pope remains silent. Perhaps he should focus more on cleaning up christianity, before he begins cleaning up other religions.

The previous pope's apologies for the atrocities of the catholic church was a hollow act that occurred so many centuries after the fact that it has no meaning. The recent commentary of the current pope only serves to incite muslims.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Good. We should incite the muslims every single day until they learn to take it like the rest of us in the world. If they are unable look at a drawing or hear critical comments from another person without flipping completely out and burning stuff in the street, shooting each other or blowing up things then they really have no place on this planet. They need to learn that they are not special. We shouldn't have to tiptoe around Muslims in the fear that we might accidently do something that will set them off.

df1

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
We shouldn't have to tiptoe around Muslims in the fear that we might accidently do something that will set them off.

The invasion and occupation of afghanistan & iraq was not an accident and definitely does not constitute tiptoeing around muslims. And neither is supporting the totalitarian government in saudi or supplying weapons for use on the palestinians & lebanonese people. Your representation that muslims are upset with western countries for light and transient reasons is a complete distortion of reality.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Both religions are hypocritical and nothing but peaceful, so they both deserve any criticism they get IMO. To think people care about what the Pope or some Islamic Imam has to say... :shk:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
The invasion and occupation of afghanistan & iraq was not an accident and definitely does not constitute tiptoeing around muslims. And neither is supporting the totalitarian government in saudi or supplying weapons for use on the palestinians & lebanonese people. Your representation that muslims are upset with western countries for light and transient reasons is a complete distortion of reality.

So these Muslims wouldn't be upset or rioting over those dutch cartoons or the Popes comments if a couple of Arab countries had not been invaded in the past few years? I'm sorry, but I do not buy that excuse. Fanatics are fanatics.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   

"He said, I quote, 'Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.'"

Clearly aware of the delicacy of the issue, Benedict said "I quote" twice before pronouncing the phrases on Islam and described them as "brusque," while neither explicitly agreeing with nor repudiating them.

Regardless of how many times one says, “I quote”, they are still responsible for approaching it in the first place.

Maybe, but only muslims are still doing it.
Along with slavetrading, vaginal circumcisions, executing gays for homosexuality, genocidal racial purges, and stoning women for being raped.

Watch out for those glass houses…I’m not so sure forcing others to attend one's church before dishing out food and humanitarian aid is exactly kosher either…and one could argue that our current campaign to spread democracy in the Middle East is indeed similar to a Jihad.

Firstly, I do not think that being a 79 y.o. virgin, in itself, qualifies ANYONE to be considered "moral". Morals also include how you treat other people. Without knowing more about this, it seems a poor choice for the Pope to quote from. He is only adding fuel to the fire.

Yeah, actions like being part of Hitler’s forces do…oops!
Zeig heil! Mein Pope!

As far as im concerned the popes comment were not anti islamic, he was only trying to prove a point.

But everyone is entitiled to their opinion.

My opinion that at worst it was hate-mongering, at best it showed very poor judgement.

Then again, it did get Catholicism in the news, and this day and age, that was probably the goal anyway, as they aren’t exactly bursting at the seams with new converts.

It’s pretty hard to relate to today’s world when you’re pushing 80 and quoting 14th century leaders for direction….

[edit on 15-9-2006 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knights

Originally posted by ThinksYouAreAnIdiot

Originally posted by Vitchilo
And did he mentionned that Christians also did this? Killing millions of people because they were infidels? Pope, STFU.

Maybe, but only muslims are still doing it.
Along with slavetrading, vaginal circumcisions, executing gays for homosexuality, genocidal racial purges, and stoning women for being raped.

I have to admit i'm not quite up to scratch with religious violence but i'm sure Christians are still active in killings/ bombings etc.

I can't find a link but I had the idea that mass murders were still regulary being fought in the 'name of God' in Africa/ parts of Asia?

Yes in Darfur. Where Arab muslims are slaughtering black muslims and christians in line with Muhammad racist views that arabs were a superior race to whites and blacks.
There is also the ongoing repression of christians in saudi arabia, Iran, pakistan, lebanon, etc.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Christians extremists are bombing abortion clinics in the USA and killing doctors who perform them. They are in an organisation, but the government isn't against them... why? Because it's the base of the pro-republicans voters. Even if they kill, it's not important, as soon as they vote for the neo-cons.

[edit on 14-9-2006 by Vitchilo]

Really? Because the only person who have ever been convicted of bombing an abortion clinic was a confirmed athiest.
Show me where christians extreemists have bombed an abortion clinic.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join